Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My sister has applied there to do that course in september and was wondering what a weekly timetable looks like - e.g. how many hours, classes, number of lectures, etc.

Anyone on this course - if you have a timetable you could post, that would be great (: Or if you are on a primary education course somewhere else, post your timetable too to give her an idea.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Hiya, I'm at CCCU. I can't work out how to attach a file to a private message, so I'll just post a few example weeks from my timetable.

Last week:
    Mon- 9-11, 2-4
    Tues: 11-4
    Wed: 9-12
    Thurs: Free
    Fri: 2-6

Next week:
    Mon: Free
    Fri: 9-10, 11-2, 3-6

Week after:
    Mon: 9-12
    Weds: 9-12
    Fri: 9-1

We tend to be in between 15 and 20 hours a week, which is mostly seminars in our tutor groups of about 25-30 people. We do have lectures with the whole course but these don't happen that often. We always have at least one day off a week and we never have any completely full days. If you need to know anything else about Primary Ed at Canterbury, I'd be pleased to help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AwakeandUnafraid)
    Hiya, I'm at CCCU. I can't work out how to attach a file to a private message, so I'll just post a few example weeks from my timetable.

Last week:
    Mon- 9-11, 2-4
    Fri: 2-6

Next week:
    Mon: Free
    Fri: 9-10, 11-2, 3-6

Week after:
    Mon: 9-12
    Weds: 9-12
    Fri: 9-1

We tend to be in between 15 and 20 hours a week, which is mostly seminars in our tutor groups of about 25-30 people. We do have lectures with the whole course but these don't happen that often. We always have at least one day off a week and we never have any completely full days. If you need to know anything else about Primary Ed at Canterbury, I'd be pleased to help
    Thank you so much (:

Do you always get thursdays off?
    When do your school visits start? How much free time do you think you will get during the week while on a placement?

ReputationRep:
    No, it's not always Thursdays however generally there is always at least one day that we have off in a week.

We've completed our 'teaching and planning' days already. These started in the third week of the course and the six days are spread out until January. They don't tell you about this before the course starts so remember to pack some smart clothes. Presuming we wouldn't be in school in the first 5 weeks, I left all my 'school' clothes at home and had to go and buy a whole new lot. Bit annoying.

Teaching and planning days are just visiting a school on six occassions and gradually building up your experience of planning and delivering lessons. The whole of your tutor group goes into school so we ended up with 4 of us in each classroom. In our group, although each tutor group seemed to be different, we started off just observing, then on the next day we each took a small group and presented a science activity, then day 3 we in pairs planned a lesson and did paired teaching of it. Day 4 we did an afternoon of activities relating to a country of our choice, this continued onto day 5 and on day 6 we were responsible for planning a class assembly on what we had been learning.

The next time we're in school is May and that will be our actual teaching practice placement- 5 weeks in school gradually taking more and more responsibility for the class. We'll get very little free time I'd imagine as we're in school every day and are expected to complete planning and prep during the evenings and weekends.

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AwakeandUnafraid)
    No, it's not always Thursdays however generally there is always at least one day that we have off in a week.

We've completed our 'teaching and planning' days already. These started in the third week of the course and the six days are spread out until January. They don't tell you about this before the course starts so remember to pack some smart clothes. Presuming we wouldn't be in school in the first 5 weeks, I left all my 'school' clothes at home and had to go and buy a whole new lot. Bit annoying.

Teaching and planning days are just visiting a school on six occassions and gradually building up your experience of planning and delivering lessons. The whole of your tutor group goes into school so we ended up with 4 of us in each classroom. In our group, although each tutor group seemed to be different, we started off just observing, then on the next day we each took a small group and presented a science activity, then day 3 we in pairs planned a lesson and did paired teaching of it. Day 4 we did an afternoon of activities relating to a country of our choice, this continued onto day 5 and on day 6 we were responsible for planning a class assembly on what we had been learning.

The next time we're in school is May and that will be our actual teaching practice placement- 5 weeks in school gradually taking more and more responsibility for the class. We'll get very little free time I'd imagine as we're in school every day and are expected to complete planning and prep during the evenings and weekends.

Hope this helps
    Thanks, when you do your 5 weeks in school, will you each be in a different school to the rest of your class or are there a few people on your course at one school?

Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.