Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    currently i've got 3 offers,they are

MSc International business at leeds
    MSc Management at glasgow
    MSc Entrepreneurship at RHUL

cuz im an international student from China,i'm not quite sure about the reputations or research ability of each uni,and the life in the city,hope i can get some info about them,thanx for taking your time.

at the moment leeds is my first choice,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bboykyo)
    currently i've got 3 offers,they are

MSc International business at leeds
    MSc Management at glasgow

cuz im an international student from China,i'm not quite sure about the reputations or research ability of each uni,and the life in the city,hope i can get some info about them,thanx for taking your time.

at the moment leeds is my first choice,
    If you want city life, than avoid RHUL. Egham's a very slow, quiet place and you're 40 mins from central London.

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

I can only give you some insights into RHUL. But maybe the others can help you with Leeds and Glasgow.

In general RHUL doesn't rank too bad in the UK. However, your course belongs to the Management Department which doesn't have the best reputation, at least for undergraduate studies. It's a collection of lack of student support and lack of organisation. On the other hand postgraduate programmes seem to be better. I don't know about Msc Entrepreneurship but have a few friends that did MA European Business - some of them coming from Oxford - and they seemed to like it. Tuiton fees are cheaper too although it may not account for you as international student.

RHUL has a big Chinese community (don't ask me why!). It belongs to the University of London which gives you access to LSE, Senate House, etc libraries. It also allows you to use the University of London careers service which has plenty events about jobs in the management sector. I know I was constantly frustrated not to see any research offers but a lot of Ernst&Young, JP Morgan, ...
    Btw, it takes about 35min to get from London to RHUL.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by passenger17a)
    Hi!

I can only give you some insights into RHUL. But maybe the others can help you with Leeds and Glasgow.

In general RHUL doesn't rank too bad in the UK. However, your course belongs to the Management Department which doesn't have the best reputation, at least for undergraduate studies. It's a collection of lack of student support and lack of organisation. On the other hand postgraduate programmes seem to be better. I don't know about Msc Entrepreneurship but have a few friends that did MA European Business - some of them coming from Oxford - and they seemed to like it. Tuiton fees are cheaper too although it may not account for you as international student.

RHUL has a big Chinese community (don't ask me why!). It belongs to the University of London which gives you access to LSE, Senate House, etc libraries. It also allows you to use the University of London careers service which has plenty events about jobs in the management sector. I know I was constantly frustrated not to see any research offers but a lot of Ernst&Young, JP Morgan, ...
    Btw, it takes about 35min to get from London to RHUL.
    thank you very much for your information, i really appreciate your help, i've been told RHUL's management department is not very strong, that made me hesitant to go there.many people say leeds' international business is strong,but i dunno if it's just an advertisement,and i dunno how leeds is like,i've been told it may be not very safe there...

ReputationRep:
    thank you very much for your information, i really appreciate your help, i've been told RHUL's management department is not very strong, that made me hesitant to go there.many people say leeds' international business is strong,but i dunno if it's just an advertisement,and i dunno how leeds is like,i've been told it may be not very safe there...
    I've lived in Leeds (not as a student) but have never found it unsafe. There's lots to do as its a big city (but obviously london and glasgow im sure would be equally interesting if not more so).
    Is it The University of Leeds? This has a solid academic reputation (probably slightly more so than Glasgow and RHUL but the difference would be negligble. More important is the course you prefer and which you think you would do best in (whichever you went to would be irrelevant if you got a high grade).
    I have no knowledge of Glasgow other than it being cold! The University is probably very good but as it is Scottish it is often in the shadow of St Andrews and Edinburgh which are much more prestigious.

Leeds is perceived as very reputable for the north of england along with Manchester, Sheffield, Liverpool etc.

My cousin is hoping to go to RHUL but think she was mainly swayed by the pretty Founders building.
    This uni, like glasgow, may have ok rankings but is overshadowed by UCL/Imperial/LSE etc.
    Out of the 3 think it is the least well known (Royal Holloway is also the name of a prison!) and worst academically but this is debatable. It is quite far from London and expensive to get to london so not the best location-a bit isolated.

RHUL is also not in the Russell Group which Leeds and Glasgow are (arguably the UK Ivy League-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell_Group
    although there are issues over this as certain excellent universities are not included but the same can be said for the ivy league so it is a good guide to prestigious uk universities. Employers certainly recruit from it and use it as a guide.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any specific questions on Leeds. I would not place too much on the league tables etc as these 3 have fairly similar reputations. The cities would be quite different though so that may be more of a factor.

ReputationRep:
    Also, Leeds is the largest financial and commercial centre outside of London so that may be quite a big factor in your decision if you are interested in business which I presume you would be with your choice of MSc at Leeds.

(Hope I don't spark any controversy on Russell Group/Ivy League issues-it is just a general guide to the most recognised UK universities.
    The ivy league was originally based on sport and the Russell Group is based on research ( not sure how important research is but it means they get more funding than RHUL) and for Ivy league and Russell Group strong academics is a general factor they all share as well as the original the reason the group was formed- so not definitive guide but gives you an idea!
    Eg Stanford is not in US ivy league so don't let RHUL's exclusion dismiss it completely. However RHUL is certainly not anywhere near Stanford's league!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Astrid2010)
    Also, Leeds is the largest financial and commercial centre outside of London so that may be quite a big factor in your decision if you are interested in business which I presume you would be with your choice of MSc at Leeds.

(Hope I don't spark any controversy on Russell Group/Ivy League issues-it is just a general guide to the most recognised UK universities.
    The ivy league was originally based on sport and the Russell Group is based on research ( not sure how important research is but it means they get more funding than RHUL) and for Ivy league and Russell Group strong academics is a general factor they all share as well as the original the reason the group was formed- so not definitive guide but gives you an idea!
    Eg Stanford is not in US ivy league so don't let RHUL's exclusion dismiss it completely. However RHUL is certainly not anywhere near Stanford's league!
    thank u very much, i've made my decision to choose leeds cuz i heard the centre for international business at the uni of leeds is strong,hope it's not just rumors

ReputationRep:
    Those are three different courses. If international business is your real interest then Leeds is very good for that, in fact its probably the most well known course which LUBS runs.

Leeds is a good city to live in, it is fairly safe around the centre and the areas where students live. The bad parts of Leeds are areas where you would never need to go to as a student.

I would also agree that the three universities have quite similar level reputations, but the business school at Leeds is highly rated and very professional.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.