Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So my situation is that I've always wanted to do English at Uni but i'm only predicted two A's at GCSE and I think this will put me at a disadvantadge?
    I'm going to do English lit at a-level and my teacher told I should be prefectly capable of getting an A at GCSE and then doing a-level but I really want to get an a*. The thing is i'm not sure if i'm capable, i'm just really doubting my ability in english at the moment I know I have quite a bit of time still to revise but I have no idea how to revise for English whereas my other subjects I have a pretty clear idea of what I need to do. My coursework is all A's but re-doing any is not an option for me. Any advice would be great, thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hazza123)
    So my situation is that I've always wanted to do English at Uni but i'm only predicted two A's at GCSE and I think this will put me at a disadvantadge?
    I'm going to do English lit at a-level and my teacher told I should be prefectly capable of getting an A at GCSE and then doing a-level but I really want to get an a*. The thing is i'm not sure if i'm capable, i'm just really doubting my ability in english at the moment I know I have quite a bit of time still to revise but I have no idea how to revise for English whereas my other subjects I have a pretty clear idea of what I need to do. My coursework is all A's but re-doing any is not an option for me. Any advice would be great, thanks
    I think it's quite easy to revise for English at GCSE. There are plenty of resources that cover the books and poems you're studying for the exam; make sure you know the content.

Also, do some practice papers and ask your teacher to mark them. Practice makes perfect after all

Try your hardest to get A*A* - but if you don't, just work hard during your AS year; if you get a high A at AS level, and are predicted an A* at A2, your AA at GCSE will not look so bad in comparison.

ReputationRep:
    The best way to revise for English GCSE is to increase your vocabulary. Words like antithesis, foreshadows, connotes etc. will all bump you up from an A to an A*.
    Plus, make sure you know your texts really well, so you don't have to search through the book for a particular quote. Make sure you know it cover to cover!

I really hope you do well.

ReputationRep:
    First thing: Re-do ALL english cw till its A* - Why cant you?

Yea, revision can be tricky, but if you like the subject (which you clearly do if your going to study it at uni) then youll spend some of your time reading, picking up dramatic devices and effective techniqe.
    Do some practise papers, set yourselfe an hour in which to perform a task. Ill give you a few ideas...
    Write a letter ADVISING a school trip someplace.
    Write an artical PERSUADING a point of view.
    Write a story using CREATIVE techniques.
    Look em up online, create them yourself, or ask your teacher to give you a few.
    And dont worry! - You have yonks till the exam, count yourself lucky your getting As already, you have 3 months to get A*s

The main thing we were told seperating an A from an A* at English GCSE was perceptive original intepretation and what not.
    Other than that just basically learn the spoon fed analysis drilled in every lesson.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 14, 2010
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.