Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littleonenice)
    He'd be all over the news if he was

I would say maximum 40k bonus as 1st year analyst.
    Been in the news though that barclays have been offering ridiculous bonuses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TShadow383)
    Then you can work 100 hour weeks for 10-15 years, make several million quid, realise the money doesn't make you happy and blow your brains out all over your lavishly appointed apartment full of cocaine and pointless expensive **** :top:
    You watch too many movies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BetterThanHeaven)
    I've got soul, my moral compass on the other hand...
    In fairness mine would be skewed by a £90k starting package.

I'd be chuffed to bits with a £40k p/a training contract at a law firm. Whether a corporate lawyer is any better morally than an investment banker is a moot point though haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AshleyT)
    Been in the news though that barclays have been offering ridiculous bonuses.
    Ridiculous? The contrary. Without any kind of media stigma attached to things it would have been far higher.

At the end of the day, many work on what is essentially 'commission'. When individuals are generating £100m, they will expect to be rewarded accordingly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Woolcott)
    Have daddy's connections work hard to find you a place, or have a decent (good 2:1 or better) economics/maths/finance degree from a top 10 (although preferably Oxbridge/LSE/UCL) uni.
    **** i never knew it was so easy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Woolcott)
    In fairness mine would be skewed by a £90k starting package.

I'd be chuffed to bits with a £40k p/a training contract at a law firm. Whether a corporate lawyer is any better morally than an investment banker is a moot point though haha
    Now you see why it's so busy in here .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tyrotoxism)
    **** i never knew it was so easy
    I know, it's an utter doddle. No wonder they can't even hedge their own funds properly if they're so lax in their entry standards :p:

ReputationRep:
    yes if he was some top lucky **** at tibra. not for barclays defo.
    even 30k bonus in first year is pushing it. 20k is max.usually now it s about 10k

ReputationRep:
    Ridiculous? The contrary. Without any kind of media stigma attached to things it would have been far higher.

At the end of the day, many work on what is essentially 'commission'. When individuals are generating £100m, they will expect to be rewarded accordingly.
    But 2BN in bonuses is still ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyo462001)
    First step is withdrawing for Medicine application,
    Second step is lose your soul
    this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prince of Zamunda)
    Barcap first year top bucket wasn't anywhere near that.
    Again, it won't be 09 class, it'll be 08 class.
    12m trading a book...

ReputationRep:

yea right.

ReputationRep:
    I doubt it most of my analyst friends were hitting between £20-40k after first year across FO divisions. The one exception, I heard was a guy at greenhill who hit £120k. Base £60k/Bonus £60k - again, no idea if it is completely true but I wouldn't be at all surprised.

As for BarCap, thats bit far fetched.

ReputationRep:
    holy ****, i thought when they said bonuses....it was like...umm..£2000 or something...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danny111)
    yea right.
    Hold on. I've spent a summer in a bank. You haven't.
    I'm trying to inform - don't call me out if you don't know what goes on.

ReputationRep:
    big bonuses, no life tho.

ReputationRep:
    Who cares?

ReputationRep:
    I love how if you put a £ symbol in the thread title all these uninformed ****-wits crawl out of the woodwork.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TigerKate)
    Hey guys! Newbie here so sorry if this is a stupid question.

Was out with a bunch of mates last night and met this guy (arrogant ****er) who claimed to be a first year analyst at Barclays Capital - said he just found out his bonus was £90k (on top of his £40k salary) :eek:

Can you really make £130k as a first year banker or was he just BSing?

Definitely hope it's the former - people that awful shouldn't be earning that much!
    Holy Jebus

ReputationRep:
    Hold on. I've spent a summer in a bank. You haven't.
    I'm trying to inform - don't call me out if you don't know what goes on.
    yes, ive spent sometime at a bank too.

but even if i didn, dont you think its ridiculous to assert that many people generate £100 million in revenue in a year?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 22, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.