Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littleonenice)
    He'd be all over the news if he was

I would say maximum 40k bonus as 1st year analyst.
    especially after all the media on bonuses

ReputationRep:
    I know a couple of people from class of 08, i.e technically second year but first full year as an analyst, to have gotten £50k bonus. This was not at BarCap, and they feel that they were cheated out of getting more due to management decision to play a flat rate across the desk this year. I don't know BarCap comp, but if 2nd year base is 55k then 75k bonus isn't out of the question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyo462001)
    First step is withdrawing for Medicine application,
    Second step is lose your soul
    Exactly, bankers only suck wealth out of an economy.

ReputationRep:
    HEY! You can have people in IB who have a heart and soul.. they just might not make good analysts or whatever. :P

Nah but you do get them. It's one of many reasons why companies promote being green or donate to charity etc. It attracts people with a heart to work for them.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by oocon)
    Exactly, bankers only suck wealth out of an economy.
    I really hope you were being sarcastic there...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by kai4321)
    HEY! You can have people in IB who have a heart and soul.. they just might not make good analysts or whatever. :P

Nah but you do get them. It's one of many reasons why companies promote being green or donate to charity etc. It attracts people with a heart to work for them.
    Actually they do that so they can have a better public image, no companies wants an article on why there against the 'earth' ie not green...

ReputationRep:
    Meh, you can't really blame anyone for thinking this. It's not like anyone in the sector makes a genuine effort to educate people, and the experienced people on TSR usually are not very helpful towards the layman either - the general attitude seems to be 'only people who are in banking are allowed to talk about banking, everyone else doesn't know **** and should shut up'.

ReputationRep:

Was thinking the same thing...lol

ReputationRep:
    I know someone on £65,000 a year, but he got a first in Maths from Oxford so hes the top of the top academically i guess.

ReputationRep:
    Why is that then?

ReputationRep:
    Actually they do that so they can have a better public image, no companies wants an article on why there against the 'earth' ie not green...
    Yes, that was the MAIN reason but this is also another one. Believe me, a lot of smart people want to get into IB but more and more people are becoming conscious of their actions and so the companies want to attract these smart people through any way possible.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by oocon)
    Why is that then?
    Because thats a ridiculous statement, theres no grounds to it at all. If anything they do the opposite.

ReputationRep:
    First step is withdrawing for Medicine application,
    Second step is lose your soul
    Your so pessimistic about working in investment banking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oocon)
    Why is that then?
    Because your view is exactly that of a reader of Robert 'I hate bankers' Peston and the rest of the tabloid press that jump on the bandwagon and pretend to know what banking is about when they have very little clue whatsoever.

As someone else just said, if you look past the bitterness in salary differentials and how banking is portrayed by the press and government, you'll find banking does exactly the opposite of sucking wealth out of the economy.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by puma21)
    Your so pessimistic about working in investment banking.
    Nah it was just a joke, im actually hoping to get some analyst internships next year and maybe work as an analyst after my degree.

ReputationRep:
    Because thats a ridiculous statement, theres no grounds to it at all. If anything they do the opposite.
    Billions of pounds goes into the pockets of a few rich men when so many people can barely afford to live. What are these bankers doing that is actually worth the money they earn? Compared to, for example, a builder who is creating things of value to society. Why couldn't we create money and regulate the financial industry without then having to pay out massive bonusses?

Do you know how our financial system really works and thus who really benefits from it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Y__)
    Meh, you can't really blame anyone for thinking this. It's not like anyone in the sector makes a genuine effort to educate people, and the experienced people on TSR usually are not very helpful towards the layman either - the general attitude seems to be 'only people who are in banking are allowed to talk about banking, everyone else doesn't know **** and should shut up'.
    Im sorry, but isnt the only sector that is designed and therefore makes an effort to educate anyone is the Teaching and Education sector. I dont see steel workers or architects going out of their way to 'educate' unless they happen to be in an educational position.

As for your point concerning your 'quote'. I think youll find anyone here is willing to answer a question if its a valid and previously unanswered question that is unable to be answered by a simple search query.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oocon)
    Billions of pounds goes into the pockets of a few rich men when so many people can barely afford to live. What are these bankers doing that is actually worth the money they earn? Compared to, for example, a builder who is creating things of value to society. Why couldn't we create money and regulate the financial industry without then having to pay out massive bonusses?

Do you know how our financial system really works and thus who really benefits from it?
    I rest my case. Reciting rhetoric that youve read in The Sun or Mirror?

Edit : I noticed the bold bit, AFTER id posted. CREATE MONEY? If you really think money creation is as easy, harmless and with very little consequence as you make it out to be, please, give Mervyn King a call, im sure he'll be delighted to hear your ideas.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by oocon)

I dont want to turn this into a 'Do bankers deserve their pay' so i wont, but that isnt taking money out the economy. These rich bankers buy things, they create demand in an economy which is growth which keeps people in employment. Bankers do create things of value, even more value than a carpenter, maybe not physical things but financial products to consumers such as mortgages and loans however id agree that some aspects such as securities and derivatives don't represent an obvious value to society.

Enlighten me on how the financial system really works.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JakeF)
    Because your view is exactly that of a reader of Robert 'I hate bankers' Peston and the rest of the tabloid press that jump on the bandwagon and pretend to know what banking is about when they have very little clue whatsoever.

As someone else just said, if you look past the bitterness in salary differentials and how banking is portrayed by the press and government, you'll find banking does exactly the opposite of sucking wealth out of the economy.
    I didn't say that banking sucks wealth out of the economy, it is needed. What I can say is that while I (as a tax payer) helped bail out banks after they got themselves into a pickle, I am not happy with the bankers still getting massive bonusses while so many people are struggling to make ends meet. Can you say that these bankers are really worth the money they make?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 22, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.