Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eccentric)
    cancelled that neg rep out for ya

Yeah there is no way that you could make £130k in your first year as a Barcap analyst , either that or my cousin who also is an analyst is a liar (he made about 50k ish in his first year) -_-

Still it blows pretty much every other graduate job out of the water for pay, satisfaction however........
    Actually not entirely true (although as I think has been pointed out, depends on what you mean by 1st year analyst). I'm class of 08 (ie this is my first full year for comp purposes) at a comparable BB and had very similar numbers to these give or take a couple of k (and currently in talks to move laterally for around a 50% increase in total comp).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sisyphean)
    Actually not entirely true (although as I think has been pointed out, depends on what you mean by 1st year analyst). I'm class of 08 (ie this is my first full year for comp purposes) at a comparable BB and had very similar numbers to these give or take a couple of k (and currently in talks to move laterally for around a 50% increase in total comp).
    dooo it lol

ReputationRep:
    complete BS

ReputationRep:
    If by 1st year you mean 9 months into the job, then no chance. If however you mean 21 months into the job, then definitely possible. 60k basic + 70k bonus in your 2nd full year is attainable on a trading desk, no question.

ReputationRep:
    highly unlikely, but more than possible.

highest bonus i heard paid out to a first year in the most recent class anywhere in the city (as in class of '09) is 70k on an annualised basis (or 35k for a pro rata six month stub) and that was due to truly exceptional performance. Base salaries for first years in the city range between 35k to 50k. Do the maths...

however, keep in mind that the people who usually make that kind of outlier money (relative to comparable peers) aren't the ones shouting it out loud in clubs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SevenDeuceOff)
    highly unlikely, but more than possible.

highest bonus i heard paid out to a first year in the most recent class anywhere in the city (as in class of '09) is 70k on an annualised basis (or 35k for a pro rata six month stub) and that was due to truly exceptional performance. Base salaries for first years in the city range between 35k to 50k. Do the maths...

however, keep in mind that the people who usually make that kind of outlier money (relative to comparable peers) aren't the ones shouting it out loud in clubs.
    who was it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ronaldo91)
    who was it?
    do you actually seriously think hes going to tell you the guys name?! a more suitable question that should be asked is not his name, but his desk. EM/G10 Sovereign Debt trading? Buckets to be made there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roussell)
    If by 1st year you mean 9 months into the job, then no chance. If however you mean 21 months into the job, then definitely possible. 60k basic + 70k bonus in your 2nd full year is attainable on a trading desk, no question.
    What kind of package region is available after the first year (ie 9 months)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Grampian)
    What kind of package region is available after the first year (ie 9 months)?
    Well you get your sign-on (6-10k) plus your basic (36-42k), and then any discretionary bonus which will most likely be entirely arbitrary and dependent on what's left over after all the fee-earners have been paid. I don't know many 6-9mth grads who got more than 25k, although I'm sure there are some.

ReputationRep:
    its definitely possible for 2nd year analysts. I know people this year who were given bonuses of £60K+ at the end of the 2nd year, whilst also being promoted to associate. This is at barcap

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ronaldo91)
    who was it?
    Me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danny111)
    yes, ive spent sometime at a bank too.

but even if i didn, dont you think its ridiculous to assert that many people generate £100 million in revenue in a year?
    http://uk.linkedin.com/in/junaidshah

One of my brothers friends from LSE who made 100 mill rev in either first or second year at DB.. It may be rare but it does happen.. If not 100+. there will be many cases of people above $60-70m

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haz313)
    http://uk.linkedin.com/in/junaidshah

One of my brothers friends from LSE who made 100 mill rev in either first or second year at DB.. It may be rare but it does happen.. If not 100+. there will be many cases of people above $60-70m
    im sorry but whats your point. i said "many" and you say "it may be rare".

i did not say it doesn happen.

furthermore, personally i do not see this as an achievement. all they do is make money out of money. but i accept if people have different views on this.

ReputationRep:

furthermore, personally i do not see this as an achievement. all they do is make money out of money. but i accept if people have different views on this.
    You quoted "When individuals are generating £100m", by saying 'yeah right', which I could only assume was in a sarcastic manner. And 'making money out of money'? Lol, there wouldn't even be a banking sector without that concept..

ReputationRep:

You're not competitive enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BetterThanHeaven)
    You're not competitive enough.
    and yet i played competitive football for 11 years and go to one of the most competitive universities in the countries. funny, no?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haz313)
    You quoted "When individuals are generating £100m", by saying 'yeah right', which I could only assume was in a sarcastic manner. And 'making money out of money'? Lol, there wouldn't even be a banking sector without that concept..
    true.

but there has to be a limit in my opinion. and well the financial crisis kind of showed that.

ReputationRep:
    Edit: Nevermind, that was his business partner.

ReputationRep:

Making money out of money is otherwise known as investment. Investment is synonymous with savings. i.e. when you put money in the bank you get an interest rate: money out of money.

If it wasn't for investment, we'd still be sitting in caves chasing deer with sharp sticks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nimiza)
    Making money out of money is otherwise known as investment. Investment is synonymous with savings. i.e. when you put money in the bank you get an interest rate: money out of money.

If it wasn't for investment, we'd still be sitting in caves chasing deer with sharp sticks.
    for one you are mistaking financial and economic investment.

and your entire post is ridiculous.

i will stop arguing these threads now, it leads to nothing.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 22, 2010
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.