Turn on thread page Beta

Family drama ... over an effing Playstation. Advice? watch

ReputationRep:
    My little brother's friends pooled together and bought him a second hand PS2 for his 16th birthday. They knew he wanted a games console, but the trouble is that games consoles are not allowed in our household, which is why he's never had one.
    I found out that he's been hiding it in his bag since Friday because he was too scared to tell Mum or Dad that he'd got a PS2 for his birthday. I helped him set it up on my TV which I don't use, because I thought he was overreacting a bit and surely they couldn't be cross with him. I mean, if he'd gone out and bought a Playstation that would be different ... but this one was bought for him, he didn't ASK for it.

Anyway, my parents are home now and they are very angry with him. Mum won't speak to him. I've tried talking to them about it and explaining that they're being a bit unreasonable (from an outsider's perspective) but they refuse to talk about it. They are practically blanking him so now he's hiding in his bedroom feeling like **** and they're making him feel like he's been "bad".

I don't know what to do ... I feel so bad for him. They haven't smashed it up with a sledgehammer or forced him to get rid of it, but now he won't be able to play with the thing without getting filthy looks or being blanked. Any advice?

ReputationRep:
    I think you should buy him a ps3.

ReputationRep:
    Leave it be.

Parents are a funny species. See what they come up with as a "punishment." I don't see why you're blaming yourself, there's little you can do.

ReputationRep:
    Why are they not allowed?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spacecam)
    Leave it be.

Parents are a funny species. See what they come up with as a "punishment." I don't see why you're blaming yourself, there's little you can do.
    I'm not blaming myself, I just feel like I should do something to help. He's my likkle brother innit. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moe Lester)
    Why are they not allowed?
    I honestly have no idea. They let him play computer games and go on the internet so I don't get why they have such an issue with consoles. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    That's ridiculous.
    Unfortunately, there'll be little you can do to change their mind if they have some strange aversion to gaming. Just have your brother continue to play on the console until your Mum and Dad see sense. :p:

ReputationRep:
    His friends did that?! He has some amazing friends!

As for the parentals, you can but try and ask why they have such an aversion, maybe it is to do with all the reports with GTA or something...

ReputationRep:
    Overact, throw things at your parents then take it to far

Your parents must be 360 fanboys

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    His friends did that?! He has some amazing friends!

As for the parentals, you can but try and ask why they have such an aversion, maybe it is to do with all the reports with GTA or something...
    Yep, he was chuffed. Though it only cost about £40 because it was second hand.
    Speaking of GTA, I know they do have a HUGE problem with that game. But I've had a look through the games his friends bought him and they're only stuff like Star Wars, Spongebob Squarepants, racing games etc. Nothing remotely offensive.

ReputationRep:
    Why do your parents have such an issue with games consoles?.

ReputationRep:
    Show your parents the games are aimed at children?

ReputationRep:
    Ohhh, I feel really sorry for your brother He couldn't really refuse the present when his friends had obviously been so thoughtful, I don't know how to get your parents to see they are being complete idiots though, sorry

ReputationRep:
    your poor brother its just a ps2 i loved mine. hope it all works out for you let it be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fail Whale)
    Yep, he was chuffed. Though it only cost about £40 because it was second hand.
    Speaking of GTA, I know they do have a HUGE problem with that game. But I've had a look through the games his friends bought him and they're only stuff like Star Wars, Spongebob Squarepants, racing games etc. Nothing remotely offensive.
    I think you and your brother need to have a chat with your parents and explain to them what games he has, how they are completely innocent and there is no worry...or just see what their problem is!

ReputationRep:
    Could i give you and your brother a hug, while i send your parents to a place where they deserve to be?

ReputationRep:
    Wow how could they can make him feel bad over a birthday gift I feel so bad for your brother. Seriously your parents have totally overeacted in this situtation unless they have a valid reason for the PS2 not to be allowed I'd tell him to enjoy his gift and play it as much as he likes.

Is it connected to your family TV? Maybe they don't want him using it when they want to watch TV? You really need to talk to them and try and find out why they are so against them.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 14, 2010
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.