Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've read a bit about what it says on warming up for Starting Strength but just wondering if anyone had better or more information on it. I mean the problem is that it requires quite a lot of warming up (so I've read) and sometimes time isn't quite on my side.

Once a week when I go to the gym I would be strapped for time cause I'd get there fairly late and so many people will be there which equals a lot of waiting. Is it VERY important to warm up AS MUCH as some say? Which is like 5 sets of light or no-weight and then get into the 3 sets. Or could you do maybe a few minutes on the bike to generally get warmed up then just one or two sets warming up with just the bar and then some light weight?

ReputationRep:
    What are you doing now? As in work set weights, number of warmup sets and weights for each warmup set?

ReputationRep:
    Michael... where have you gone Michael?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    What are you doing now? As in work set weights, number of warmup sets and weights for each warmup set?
    Well I did do it for a bit but stopped for quite a while so tomorrow I'm starting it up again.

I didn't know much about warming up before though so I used to do 5 mins on bike and then 5x1 of just bar (or maybe some really light weight) and then start work set.

I'm fairly weak compared to others my age (17) so I wouldn't want to do too much weight for warming up and let that affect my normal work sets.

Edit: Huh, Michael?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kai4321)
    Well I did do it for a bit but stopped for quite a while so tomorrow I'm starting it up again.

I didn't know much about warming up before though so I used to do 5 mins on bike and then 5x1 of just bar (or maybe some really light weight) and then start work set.

I'm fairly weak compared to others my age (17) so I wouldn't want to do too much weight for warming up and let that affect my normal work sets.

Edit: Huh, Michael?
    The 'Michael' thing was because I was quoted by a user named Michael XYZ, but he deleted his post. Nevermind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    The 'Michael' thing was because I was quoted by a user named Michael XYZ, but he deleted his post. Nevermind.
    Like I said, not been to the gym in a LONG time so I couldn't give you an accurate picture at all. Probably really light though considering I'm only 140lbs and 5'10".

ReputationRep:
    just do a warm-up set..and then get on with your working sets.....warm-ups are over-rated...unless you're lifting close to the 200kg(or above) and need some extra warm-up sets.

Legs just do some plyometrics(high knees, straight leg kick ups)...no static crap....static crap on your rest days if you want to become more flexible.

ReputationRep:
    I'm hardly an expert on warming up but normally I'd go through 2 or 3 warm up sets (depending on the exercise) then into the work sets. I usually find it's the amount of rest between sets that takes the most time, not warming up.

For squats, doing 110kg 3x5 work sets I'd do something like 60 x8, 80 x5, 95 x5 then the work sets. Typically I won't do 3 warm up sets on anything other than squats or deadlifts though, so for 65kg 3x5 rows I'd do something like 40 x6, 50 x5, then work sets.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chumbaniya)
    I'm hardly an expert on warming up but normally I'd go through 2 or 3 warm up sets (depending on the exercise) then into the work sets. I usually find it's the amount of rest between sets that takes the most time, not warming up.

For squats, doing 110kg 3x5 work sets I'd do something like 60 x8, 80 x5, 95 x5 then the work sets. Typically I won't do 3 warm up sets on anything other than squats or deadlifts though, so for 65kg 3x5 rows I'd do something like 40 x6, 50 x5, then work sets.
    See i'd just do 60kg x8 and then go into the working sets

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hugh-Jackman)
    See i'd just do 60kg x8 and then go into the working sets
    Do you find that additional warm up sets actually start to tire you before the work sets, or is it just a case of wanting to get into the work sets quickly? I don't find there's any time pressure for me in doing 2 or 3 warm up sets but obviously if warming up as I do would leave me less able to do the work sets then I'd want to change.

I think I'd be tempted to cut out the higher warm up sets and do just 60 x8 and 85 x5, say, since I always feel that while my form is fine with a light weight and fine under a working weight, on an in between sort of weight it goes away a bit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chumbaniya)
    Do you find that additional warm up sets actually start to tire you before the work sets, or is it just a case of wanting to get into the work sets quickly? I don't find there's any time pressure for me in doing 2 or 3 warm up sets but obviously if warming up as I do would leave me less able to do the work sets then I'd want to change.

I think I'd be tempted to cut out the higher warm up sets and do just 60 x8 and 85 x5, say, since I always feel that while my form is fine with a light weight and fine under a working weight, on an in between sort of weight it goes away a bit.
    Just cannot be bothered to do them...I think gym injuries are rare in terms of pulling muscles or straining them....especially if you've done a warm-up set...just not loads building it up. When I start hitting close to 200kg I will add in another warm-up set. I find static stretching totally pointless, if anything worse.....plyometrics are good though..but it would literally be a few high knees and a few leg swings.

Maybe I will pull something and learn my lesson...but I've never felt close to just from doing 1 warm-up set........now doing sprinting is a different matter especially in the cold and doing 5-8 sprints.

ReputationRep:
    From what I've been reading though it's a bit confusing how the warm up sets WOULDN'T affect work sets. I guess you can give yourself a big rest though although I would be strapped for time. I know it says that if you don't have time to warm-up then forget the whole thing but obviously I would do SOME warming up - just not the "perfect" amount possible.

ReputationRep:
    exactly I don't want to be in the gym longer than an hour...a lad at my gym spends ages doing all the correct warm-up and stretching for ages and having huge rests...complete waste of time for someone not going for a 1 rep max and for the weights he's shifting.

Once you get to 150+ add in another warm-up set and so on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kai4321)
    Like I said, not been to the gym in a LONG time so I couldn't give you an accurate picture at all. Probably really light though considering I'm only 140lbs and 5'10".
    Ignore HJ, last I heard, he got his ass handed to him by Aquaman.

Do about 4 warmup sets. Start with the bar, then even-ish-ly divide the remaining increments by the difference between your workset and the bar. ie, if you're doing 100kg workset, do 20kg (bar) x 7, 40 x 4, 60 x 2, 80 x 1, 100kg. Decrease the reps as the weight increases.

Chumb, doing 5 reps of 95 if your workset is 110 is too much. I'd have done just a single of 80 as my last warmup set.

Don't static stretch before lifting, that's retarded.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.