Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    Sorry if this is an obvious/stupid question

I'm a first year undergraduate, and am looking into what I want to do after my degree. When I was doing A levels, I spent a lot of time vounteering at a special school, and absolutely loved it. I'm thinking about teaching in a special school, but how do you go about training? On the website I couldn't see any specific graduate courses for special needs teaching, so do you do one in primary/secondary first, then just apply for jobs at a special school??

Thanks in advance for any replies

ReputationRep:
    There generally are not many, if any that I know of. You should take a standard training route which will qualify you to teach in a SEN school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daftdonkey)
    Hi
    Sorry if this is an obvious/stupid question

I'm a first year undergraduate, and am looking into what I want to do after my degree. When I was doing A levels, I spent a lot of time vounteering at a special school, and absolutely loved it. I'm thinking about teaching in a special school, but how do you go about training? On the website I couldn't see any specific graduate courses for special needs teaching, so do you do one in primary/secondary first, then just apply for jobs at a special school??

I want to do special needs teaching as well as I have a bit of experience with learning disabilities. There's one course at Man Met: 'English with Special Needs'. But unfortunately no specific training route is outined. The best advice is what you said: get a PGCE to get qualified and do your NQT year in a special school. I've put 2 linkw below that gives some advice:

http://community.tes.co.uk/forums/p/...5.aspx#5134915

http://community.tes.co.uk/forums/p/...0.aspx#4631890

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys, that was really quick!

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone had experience in doing this? Is there strong competition for places at Special Schools as an NQT??

ReputationRep:
    My aunt is a headteacher, and as I want to eventually teach Special Needs I asked her about what I'd have to do, and she told me that I have to teach in a mainstream school for three years once qualified before I can go for Special Needs. I can't remember why it's that specific amount of time but it's like that for a reason.

ReputationRep:
    I currently work as a learning support assistant in a special needs school (that caters for ages 3-19) and I know that many of the teachers in the school completed their NQT year in a special needs school (and 3 out of the 6 primary teachers completed their NQT year at our school), so I know the three years in mainstream prior to teaching SEN is not necessary. Also, I know that when teaching positions are advertised, they often state that applications from NQTs are welcome - and I also know that they interview a number of NQTs (as well as experienced teachers) for positions. This is also the same for the other special needs schools in our area.
    Maybe your aunt was suggesting that you spend 3 years in mainstream first for the experience? As many teachers at my school have advised I complete my NQT year in mainstream for the experience, as it harder to leave special needs and then find a job in mainstream (because of the teaching/planning/assessment/pupil/class size differences etc) - than it is to leave mainstream for special needs. So basically, if you decide you dont like special needs after a number of years or you want to teach mainstream, youll probabily find it hard to get a job.

ReputationRep:
    ^^ thanks gemma...very helpful advice.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah thanks Gemma

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.