Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Tories will force taxpayers to pay to teach immigrants English watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    http://bnp.org.uk/2010/02/tories-wil...rants-english/

The Conservative Party has announced that it intends to force British taxpayers to pay millions to teach immigrants to speak English “so they can integrate better.”

Making the announcement, Tory Shadow Communities Minister Sayeeda Warsi said: “Taxpayers’ money should be spent on teaching people English rather than keeping people apart by translating into a plethora of languages.”

She was responding to the news that at least £10.9 million and possibly as much as £20 million is spent by councils across Britain each year translating official documents into a variety of languages.

The correct policy is, of course, not to allow mass immigration in the first place which would prevent this problem from occurring — but that simple solution is not on the Tory or Labour agenda.

According to the figures, obtained through Freedom of Information Act requests to hundreds of councils across Britain, official documents are currently translated into more than 120 different languages from around the globe.

The most frequently translated language was Polish, with 208 councils catering for those speakers, closely followed by Cantonese and Mandarin.

Asian and African languages including Bengali, Gujarati, Urdu, Arabic and Farsi appear on the list as do dozens of obscure tongues including Bambara, Ewe, Xhosa and various dialects of Mandarin Chinese.

Three councils — Hackney, Newham and Oxfordshire — even cater for Maltese, even though English is an official language on the bilingual island of Malta.

The figures show that the council with the biggest single translation budget is Southwark in south London, which spent £358,349 on translators in the 2007/08 year.

The languages in which Southwark provides its documents include Arabic, Bengali, Cantonese, Mandarin, Farsi, Hungarian, Kurdish, Polish, Latvian, Somali, Turkish, Vietnamese and Urdu.
    What an outrage.

ReputationRep:
    In Camden you can already get free English lessons at the community college if English isn't your first language. But I'd have to pay ridiculous course fees to try and learn another language.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps we should just have done with it and teach the English how to speak Arabic...

ReputationRep:
    I think this is good.

ReputationRep:
    This is ridiculous. They should pay for the lessons themselves. Like the quote says: The simple solution isnt on the tory or labour agenda.

ReputationRep:
    lol bnp sourcefail. They also hate Warsi so this makes the sourcefail even more fail.

complain when they cant speak english, and complain about a feasible solution to teach them english.

IMO BNP = complain complain complain.

Wow an article from the BNP website,such credibility.

ReputationRep:
    hahhhh. the source, the article and the racism behind this makes me want to GAG.

ReputationRep:
    They should have to speak English before they're allowed into the country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phantom_X)
    You might call it The Complain Campaign
    (i can be soooo-oooo witty sometimes................
    ..................... this isn't one of those times)

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I like how they weakly tried to slip their crooked and racist agenda in there (of course, as it is their own propaganda). LAME AS. I would have wanted to discuss this issue both ways if it wasn't for the source.

This piece looks like it was written by a pompous and self-righteous teenager, the way it tries to seem subtle but fails with the cheap and not-so-seamless insertion of their ideas. Obviously written for people who can't read between the lines, which would appear to be most of the "indigeneous people" over 50 (I am referring to how STILL many "indigeneous" teenagers will be the first in their family to go to uni. Not to say that their parents are uneducated / simpletons / DUMB, but just less likely to recognise and appreciate that a largely immigrant population does not equate to hell on earth. It's just what happens when YOUR land is not war-and-strife-stricken. The unfortunate flock to it for a "better" life. It just burns my brisket how people will give to the Haiti cause but gooooood forbid the Haitians come HERE for recovery. Narcissistic 1st world scumbags abound).

Too bad for you, bnp; we know your agenda. And it is far worse than the Conservatives thinking teaching people English will be cheaper than translating documents. That is a simple idea, and a good idea, but we need to see evidence / decent calculations for that assumption. And a way to enforce the lessons............ otherwise the translating of documents is a normal factor in this world. People's CAREERS are stemmed in transcribing and translating and copywriting etc. It seems that the Conservatives are trying to find a way for immigrants and natives to co-exist... and CHEAPLY co-exist. That is an extremely noble policy, in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darigan)
    You might call it The Complain Campaign
    (i can be soooo-oooo witty sometimes................
    ..................... this isn't one of those times)
    You should propose this concept to Nick Griffin.

ReputationRep:
    You should propose this concept to Nick Griffin.
    I though he started this thread? lol

ReputationRep:
    lol bnp sourcefail. They also hate Warsi so this makes the sourcefail even more fail.

complain when they cant speak english, and complain about a feasible solution to teach them english.

Rep for this tomorrow.

This is too true. It's a case of 'LOOK AT ALL THESE DIRTY IMMIGRANTS COMING HERE WITH THEIR URDU'.

When there's a wide scale solution, they're suddenly 'DIRTY IMMIGRANTS COMING HERE AND LEARNING THE NATIVE LANGUAGE'

*Sigh* get over it people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sideways_gun)
    Yes, I like how they weakly tried to slip their crooked and racist agenda in there (of course, as it is their own propaganda). LAME AS. I would have wanted to discuss this issue both ways if it wasn't for the source.

This piece looks like it was written by a teenager, the way it tries to seem subtle but, too bad for you, bnp. We know your agenda. And it is far worse than the Conservatives thinking teaching people English will be cheaper than translating documents. That is a simple idea, and a good idea, but we need to see evidence / decent calculations for that assumption. And a way to enforce the lessons............ otherwise the translating of documents is a normal factor in this world. People's CAREERS are stemmed in transcribing and translating and copywriting etc. It seems that the Conservatives are trying to find a way for immigrants and natives to co-exist... and CHEAPLY co-exist. That is an extremely noble policy, in my opinion.
    The thing is, the BNP's main demographic, most of whom tend to be uneducated, angry and unaware of practical politics will take this ver batem. They wont realise its more expensive to translate documents (they probably assume the BNP will kick all of them out so it dosent matter, though there is also a cost in this). So yes, this is BNP twisting what seems to be a fairly practical solution to improve human relations and to better the workforce. Remember that the BNP will complain about everything and anything-thats how they roll. Even if there were no immigrants they would still blame something for their stupidity. + with Warsi involved ( A muslim female in politics who tore apart nick griffin in QT = BNP number 1 enemy), the BNP will be plugging this for weeks....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elipsis)
    Perhaps we should just have done with it and teach the English how to speak Arabic...
    I very much hope that was a joke. I would not contemplate filthying my mouth with the language of Mohammedans. If they want to come here to escape oppression from their own backward governments, they should learn it before they get on their flea-ridden boat over.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darigan)
    I though he started this thread? lol
    Griffins too pussy to argue with intelligent students. Hed rather be crusading through the BNP chat rooms or luring idiots via facebook.

I find it amazing how the BNP recruit people in such a similar way that Islamic fundamental cells recruit youngsters.....

ReputationRep:
    The thing is, the BNP's main demographic, most of whom tend to be uneducated, angry and unaware of practical politics will take this ver batem. They wont realise its more expensive to translate documents (they probably assume the BNP will kick all of them out so it dosent matter, though there is also a cost in this). So yes, this is BNP twisting what seems to be a fairly practical solution to improve human relations and to better the workforce. Remember that the BNP will complain about everything and anything-thats how they roll. Even if there were no immigrants they would still blame something for their stupidity. + with Warsi involved ( A muslim female in politics who tore apart nick griffin in QT = BNP number 1 enemy), the BNP will be plugging this for weeks....
    Hahhahahahahahhahha yes, I remember that Question Time lol rushed home from work ESPECIALLY to have a fat chuckle. It was good.

I really wish other political parties would also cater to the........ low wattage bulbs in the British community, and make some kind of giant poster or flow diagram illustrating REALITY. Preferably with a key or colour chart. Then we can be done with this flaming bnp crap. I feel like saying GET IT TOGETHER, PEOPLE!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sideways_gun)
    Hahhahahahahahhahha yes, I remember that Question Time lol rushed home from work ESPECIALLY to have a fat chuckle. It was good.

I really wish other political parties would also cater to the........ low wattage bulbs in the British community, and make some kind of giant poster or flow diagram illustrating REALITY. Preferably with a key or colour chart. Then we can be done with this flaming bnp crap. I feel like saying GET IT TOGETHER, PEOPLE!!!!!
    Why don't you **** off home? I'm sick of people like you making fun of people in my country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moodtrue)
    I very much hope that was a joke. I would not contemplate filthying my mouth with the language of Mohammedans. If they want to come here to escape oppression from their own backward governments, they should learn it before they get on their flea-ridden boat over.
    So Spaniards on the Costa Del Sol shouldn't filthy their mouths with the language of the pensioners?

btw yeah I think it was a joke.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.