Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is this funny or degrading? Watch

ReputationRep:

News story from a few years back:

A McDonald’s fast-food outlet in the south east of the Netherlands has agreed to remove urinals that are shaped liked wide-open red lips.
    Degrading to women or toilet cartoon fun?
    The decision was taken after a shocked American customer complained to the McDonald’s head office in the US.
    Owner Giel Pijper said on Wednesday that the bright red, mouth-shaped urinals, named ‘Kisses’, are works of art. But a different view is taken of them in America. The urinals are being removed and will be sold off. “I’m not going to harp on about a pair of urinals,” he said.
    Virgin Airways was forced to scrap plans in 2004 to install two of the ‘Kisses’ at New York’s John F. Kennedy airport after complaints they looked like women’s mouth.
    They are the work of Dutch woman Meike van Schijndel. She is the designer at the Utrecht-based firm Bathroom Mania!
    Speaking to Expatica in 2004, she said the urinals were designed as a fun cartoon mouth and not as a woman’s mouth.
    She stressed that the idea her urinals represented a man peeing into a woman’s mouth never occurred to her, nor to many men and women she had spoken to. Her company was inundated with orders after the Virgin Airlines controversy, Van Schijndel said.

http://www.expatica.com/nl/news/loca...als-31504.html

Do you think this is amusing or degrading to women? Apparently the mouth is supposed to be gender neutral (ha).

ReputationRep:
    the idea her urinals represented a man peeing into a woman’s mouth never occurred to her
    Pure ROFL. No, of course it didn't

Besides, it's hilarious and fun...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by booraad)
    Do you think this is amusing or degrading to women? Apparently the mouth is supposed to be gender neutral (ha).
    What? It is. Mens lips are red too, you know...

I think it's funny. It's not really "sexist" or whatever, because, you guessed it, boys have red lips too!

It's maybe a little distasteful and more what you'd expect in a nightclub than a McDonalds...but I wouldn't mind it in either place, tbh.

ReputationRep:
    I got a cheap laugh out of the story behind more so than the actual urinals

Lmaoo.

Awesome.

ReputationRep:
    women seriously need to get over themselves, where do they find the time, surely there are some dishes that need cleaning, and food to prepare.

ReputationRep:
    it's funny and if anything i'd find it more degrading to men than women (initially, now i see their point, lol) but yeah hah.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on the woman, what do you think, offensive or a bit of fun?

I personally dont really deem it to be offensive.:yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Numberone-outkast)
    women seriously need to get over themselves, where do they find the time, surely there are some dishes that need cleaning, and food to prepare.
    Aye. They're probably confused, we should erect some more signposts to the nearest kitchen.

ReputationRep:
    How is it degrading? It'd be degrading if there was a picture of my face in the urinal, but otherwise. Meh! :dontknow: It's not really funny either though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Numberone-outkast)
    agreed - but seriously... imo there is nothing wrong with these... if it made noises like "yumm", "keep it coming" or something alike, then fair enough.

ReputationRep:
    I just assumed it was meant to be Ronald's mouth..

ReputationRep:
    Haha that's actually brilliant. I want one.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    FUNNY FUNNY FUNNY

and this is coming from a woman ... :p:

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure they have these in one of the bars in Ibiza too.

ReputationRep:
    bj

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liquidus Zeromus)
    Post of the day.

I wouldn't say it's degrading, but it's distasteful and I didn't find it funny at all. I'm surprised this was in McDonald's as well...

ReputationRep:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.