Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys. Just need to vent my thoughts and hopefully gain some TSR wisdom.

My situation in short:

Just had Autumn exam results back. Got 73% average.

This means I need 72% average in summer exams and dissertation.

Everyone I speak to says "go for it!". I'm an average student that worked really hard last term to get where I am. I tried hard in my first year and got a 60% average (hence the 73% not 70% average needed).

I can't help thinking how I will feel if i just miss out on getting a first.

I reckon the difference in workload between sitting back and letting my 2:1 roll in (50% needed) and getting that 72% is probably about 30hrs/week.

The thing is I wouldn't waste my spare time either, I've got some little qualifications that I want to do and job applications take 5-10 hours a week.

I'm hoping someone is at least in a similar situation. If not I may post this on the postgraduate forum.

Thanks for any advice

ReputationRep:
    I know this only too well. I'm in my final year, and my first was not far and above 70% last year. Therefore this year I need to retain that average.
    An early c/w grade didn't help but it all comes down to the exam results I will get back in a few weeks. You're not the only one! I would be very disappointed if I do not attain a first. You've just got to keep working, and hopefully we both won't miss it!

ReputationRep:
    I am quite anxious about how well I'll do this year. Unlike you, my first year doesn't count and I averaged 64% last year. I really want a first though!! I need to geta first in 3 out of my 4 modules this year. I'm getting some mid term papers back in a couple of weeks - I'll see then whether a first is actually attainable. xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blinkbelle)
    I am quite anxious about how well I'll do this year. Unlike you, my first year doesn't count and I averaged 64% last year. I really want a first though!! I need to geta first in 3 out of my 4 modules this year. I'm getting some mid term papers back in a couple of weeks - I'll see then whether a first is actually attainable. xx
    Are your modules equally weighted for second and third year?

If so, is it a case of 30% 2nd year, 70% 3rd year?

So you'd need to average...

64 * .3 = 19.2

x * .7 = 50.8
    50.8 / .7 = 72.57% you need this year?

Mine has some strange policy where you need to get like 80 final year credits which land in 70%> in order to get a first if you hit 67% or more. Its odd.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chap54)
    2nd year 20%, 3rd year 80%, dissertation worth 3 modules out of 12 this year.

I've made a thread in the general university disscution forum where it was meant to go originally.

ReputationRep:
    You've worked hard so far, don't let yourself down - you'll regret it.

You can get a job afterwards and by all accounts that you're a better applicant if you have a first.

I can't help but think that you'll regret not working really hard for a bit longer (in the grand scheme of things) if you decide to ease up now. Even if you don't get a first (the fear of which should motivate you), you won't feel guilty guilty or regretful afterwards.

You may look back at your efforts and ask yourself whether they were in vain, but that's nothing compared to looking back and thinking what if you had tried harder.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amenhotep)
    You may look back at your efforts and ask yourself whether they were in vain, but that's nothing compared to looking back and thinking what if you had tried harder.
    Wise (+rep)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chap54)
    Are your modules equally weighted for second and third year?

So you'd need to average...

64 * .3 = 19.2

x * .7 = 50.8
    50.8 / .7 = 72.57% you need this year?

Mine has some strange policy where you need to get like 80 final year credits which land in 70%> in order to get a first if you hit 67% or more. Its odd.
    40% 2nd year 60% third year. I don't understand those equations (I'm terrible at maths) but I have been told that I need 4/8 of my modules in second year and third year combined to be a first. I got 1 last year which leaves 3 this year, I think! xx

ReputationRep:
    I think the grade boundaries of 2:1s are too big, which is why most people end up with them. 1sts are still quite hard to get, its one of the achievements which hasn't yet been eroded by grade inflation. However there's a big gap between a "just missed a 1st" 2:1 and a "just scraped over a 2:2" 2:1, and it says the same classification on your certificate.

You do meet some 3rd years who are in comfort zone, who realise that they might need say 74% to get a 1st and think its beyond them, but know they only need about 58% to get a 2:1, so rather than work hard and get say 69% they will just coast and make sure they get 60%. I found it a bit irritating when I was working hard during my dissertation days and they were openly bragging that they could get a 2:1 without working so why bother.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    30 hours a week is nothing at all. Go for it OP.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.