The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Adonis
No, not a troll/parody thread but serious.

Anyone else think muscles should be left for the males? (if that is, muscle is to be appreciated in general)

Like when I watch the olympics and other track/field events, it's like eeeee they look like small men =| leave the muscle for the guys, stick to being 'skinny and slightly soft' I mean, yes the ass and legs are nice on a lot of them but ripped abs and hench arms/shoulders = no no

Couldn't agree more :yep:
ras90
girls should be non muscley

e.g. japanese!

The girl at the beginning has hot abs (and is generally hot).

Personally, i'm not generally attracted to girls stockier than me, but defined abs (and I think muscles in general) are definitely a turn on.

Everyone has their preferences, but i'm guessing subconciously at least, a lot of guys are threatened by a female that looks even remotely capable of looking after herself, since their ego is based around being a big strong protector, and a lot of girls are after guy who will protect them and make them feel safe in their big, strong muscley arms, rather than look after themselves - since that would require more effort.
Reply 82
Thrasymachus

Personally, i'm not generally attracted to girls stockier than me, but defined abs (and I think muscles in general) are definitely a turn on.

Everyone has their preferences, but i'm guessing subconciously at least, a lot of guys are threatened by a female that looks even remotely capable of looking after herself, since their ego is based around being a big strong protector, and a lot of girls are after guy who will protect them and make them feel safe in their big, strong muscley arms, rather than look after themselves - since that would require more effort.

and I'm guessing you are chatting ****.

I don't like women who look like men cos guess what, I'm not attracted to men/male attributes.

defined abs is 'manly'
Reply 83
Thrasymachus

Thats another one of my dreams ruined
Adonis
and I'm guessing you are chatting ****.

I don't like women who look like men cos guess what, I'm not attracted to men/male attributes.

defined abs is 'manly'

The girls at the beginning or end of that video don't look female to you?

Admittedly the second girl is a bit of a munter.
Reply 85
Thrasymachus
The girls at the beginning or end of that video don't look female to you?

obv female, but not feminine

it's disgusting, I don't find it even remotely attractive. It makes me feel queasy even
Reply 86
iainthegreat

:yes: So hot.

But then she doesn't have really defined muscles she's just amazingly toned and would probably look great however much exercise she does due to other attributes.

Also, who is she?
Muscles are sexy!
Jessaay!
I didn't say being feminine doesn't matter in the slightest, I said that to a confident woman, the feminine look doesn't matter in the slightest. I personally think a feminine appearance looks good, and I strive to look feminine, but some people may prefer a more muscular appearance. If she's happy like that, then fine, but I aim to be a good athlete but still retain the attributes that make me look feminine.

The only type of feminism I agree with is that promoting equality, otherwise I wouldn't be in medicine. I do not agree with the extent to which feminism has stretched in the modern day. I'm sure you judge guys on how masculine they look or act, unless you prefer a feminine look on them, it's kinda natural.

Of course I'm more attractive to certain appearances and looks in men, but I'd be very careful about stating what's ok and not ok regarding appreances. This thread seems very much to be leaning towards the latter attitude.

Jessaay!

The only type of feminism I agree with is that promoting equality

...What other types of feminism are there? That's what feminism is.

This isn't directed at you but at everyone in the thread- these women are athletes. Whether they're sexually attractive or not is so unimportant. We should be admiring them for their strength, dedication and skill, not reducing them to the way they look. Who gives a crap how they look, that's not what they're there for.
Reply 89
missygeorgia
Of course I'm more attractive to certain appearances and looks in men, but I'd be very careful about stating what's ok and not ok regarding appreances. This thread seems very much to be leaning towards the latter attitude.

...What other types of feminism are there? That's what feminism is.

This isn't directed at you but at everyone in the thread- these women are athletes. Whether they're sexually attractive or not is so unimportant. We should be admiring them for their strength, dedication and skill, not reducing them to the way they look. Who gives a crap how they look, that's not what they're there for.

No, feminism goes too far. It's no longer promoting equality, but more promoting an overwhelming attitude for female power. We can have power without jumping at every opportunity to promote alleged "equality" when sometimes feminism tips over the balance of equality.

And you're just reiterating my point about how they should be respected for being athletes, but I'm allowed to say whether, if I was attracted to females, I'd find their bodies attractive or whether I'd want to look like that.
Jessaay!
No, feminism goes too far. It's no longer promoting equality, but more promoting an overwhelming attitude for female power. We can have power without jumping at every opportunity to promote alleged "equality" when sometimes feminism tips over the balance of equality.

And you're just reiterating my point about how they should be respected for being athletes, but I'm allowed to say whether, if I was attracted to females, I'd find their bodies attractive or whether I'd want to look like that.

Of course you're allowed to say that. What I take issue with is the overwhelming attitude in this thread that women should look a certain way, i.e. feminine, and sexually desirable to men.

Regarding feminism- I think the idea that feminism is seeking to 'promote and overwhelming attitude for female power', as you put it, is trite, cliche and based on not much more than a couple of prominent, atypical feminists and a sexist and threatened media. I mean, come on, the positions of power in this country are overwhelmingly held by men. Government, media, finance, business in general- male dominated. We're nowhere close to being a female dominated society, so I'm not quite sure where all the panic about feminists trying to take over comes from. The people who think this generally don't know much about feminism and have been biased against it, and it's a real shame because feminism is about a lot more than positive discrimination and the vote, and can offer a lot. ANYWAY a debate for another thread, maybe.
Reply 91
missygeorgia
Of course you're allowed to say that. What I take issue with is the overwhelming attitude in this thread that women should look a certain way, i.e. feminine, and sexually desirable to men.

Regarding feminism- I think the idea that feminism is seeking to 'promote and overwhelming attitude for female power', as you put it, is trite, cliche and based on not much more than a couple of prominent, atypical feminists and a sexist and threatened media. I mean, come on, the positions of power in this country are overwhelmingly held by men. Government, media, finance, business in general- male dominated. We're nowhere close to being a female dominated society, so I'm not quite sure where all the panic about feminists trying to take over comes from. The people who think this generally don't know much about feminism and have been biased against it, and it's a real shame because feminism is about a lot more than positive discrimination and the vote, and can offer a lot. ANYWAY a debate for another thread, maybe.

You can think that all you want, but just because I disagree with you does not mean I have been influenced by "atypical feminists and a sexist threatened media". It is just as easy for me to say you have been influenced by feminists who have twisted situations to form a bias. I have formed my own opinion on the matter and my opinion is educated, don't act that, because I don't have the same opinion as you, my opinion is based on anecdotes and very little fact. I go to the first medical school to ever accept females. I do a sport typically dominated by men but in which women can thrive, and I'm respected for it. I live in a society where opportunities are pretty much equal, and the inequalities can be matched in different ways to the male and female gender (men are as judged as women on their appearance, and how much people feel judged is completely down to their own attitudes and self-confidence). Feminism has achieved its battle, now, until the next time things completely unbalance, we can settle. No use splitting hairs.
Jessaay!
You can think that all you want, but just because I disagree with you does not mean I have been influenced by "atypical feminists and a sexist threatened media". It is just as easy for me to say you have been influenced by feminists who have twisted situations to form a bias. I have formed my own opinion on the matter and my opinion is educated, don't act that, because I don't have the same opinion as you, my opinion is based on anecdotes and very little fact. I go to the first medical school to ever accept females. I do a sport typically dominated by men but in which women can thrive, and I'm respected for it. I live in a society where opportunities are pretty much equal, and the inequalities can be matched in different ways to the male and female gender (men are as judged as women on their appearance, and how much people feel judged is completely down to their own attitudes and self-confidence). Feminism has achieved its battle, now, until the next time things completely unbalance, we can settle. No use splitting hairs.

Obviously I don't know why or how you formed your opinion about feminism, which is why I spoke generally about the attitudes towards feminism. But men and women are not equal in society, and I don't see how that can be disputed. Among many, many other things, women are nowhere near as powerful as men. I really don't understand how you can say that feminism has achieved all it can when only 1/5 of politicians are female. That's not 'splitting hairs', that's a shocking percentage. We are undeniably a patriarchal society, so how on earth can men and women be equal? Even if we dismiss 'hair splitting' issues such as the pay gap, sexual objectification, rape laws etc- even without these issues, the fact is this country is governed by men.
Reply 93
missygeorgia
Obviously I don't know why or how you formed your opinion about feminism, which is why I spoke generally about the attitudes towards feminism. But men and women are not equal in society, and I don't see how that can be disputed. Among many, many other things, women are nowhere near as powerful as men. I really don't understand how you can say that feminism has achieved all it can when only 1/5 of politicians are female. That's not 'splitting hairs', that's a shocking percentage. We are undeniably a patriarchal society, so how on earth can men and women be equal? Even if we dismiss 'hair splitting' issues such as the pay gap, sexual objectification, rape laws etc- even without these issues, the fact is this country is governed by men.

I think that's down to many historical factors and the fact that there isn't even a demand from females to enter politics. If there were many great female politicians running or many great female minds trying their hardest to get into politics I'd agree, if the percentage was still skewed there'd be something dodgy, but genuinely there isn't. You ignore the fact, however, that there are more female than male medical students (I don't mean to keep bringing medicine up but I think it's a terrific example of equality which is even becoming skewed towards females) and various other things dominated by females. You can't just blame inequality for the lack of females in political power, but you have to look at the bigger picture.

BTW, this didn't start with politics, but instead started with the image of females.
Reply 94
Jessaay!
I think that's down to many historical factors and the fact that there isn't even a demand from females to enter politics. If there were many great female politicians running or many great female minds trying their hardest to get into politics I'd agree, if the percentage was still skewed there'd be something dodgy, but genuinely there isn't. You ignore the fact, however, that there are more female than male medical students (I don't mean to keep bringing medicine up but I think it's a terrific example of equality which is even becoming skewed towards females) and various other things dominated by females. You can't just blame inequality for the lack of females in political power, but you have to look at the bigger picture.

BTW, this didn't start with politics, but instead started with the image of females.

:ditto: :congrats:
Jessaay!

Of course it's down to historical factors. Whatever the reasons for this overwhelmingly male government, that doesn't stop the fact that we are a country where, when it comes to government (and other arenas of power such as business, finance, industry) men have the power and men make the decisions. This is not equality, and no amount of excuses can redefine this as equality. We are practically by definition a patriarchy, which means there just isn't equality.

OED definition of equality-

The condition of having equal dignity, rank, or privileges with others; the fact of being on an equal footing.

or

The condition of being equal in power, ability, achievement, or excellence. Also (rarely), the condition of being ‘equal to an emergency’.

In what way can men and women be 'equal in power' or have 'equal rank' when the country is run by men?

It was, until you made the incredible claim that men and women are equal.
Reply 96
A completely 50:50 equal society is one of the most ridiculous ideas i have ever heard, and would require one hell of a totalitarian dictatorship to bring about.

The most important thing is that every individual has equal oppurtunity. That is the main goal of true feminism, and the main goal for anyone who believes in individual rights.
Reply 97
missygeorgia
Of course it's down to historical factors. Whatever the reasons for this overwhelmingly male government, that doesn't stop the fact that we are a country where, when it comes to government (and other arenas of power such as business, finance, industry) men have the power and men make the decisions. This is not equality, and no amount of excuses can redefine this as equality. We are practically by definition a patriarchy, which means there just isn't equality.

OED definition of equality-

The condition of having equal dignity, rank, or privileges with others; the fact of being on an equal footing.

or

The condition of being equal in power, ability, achievement, or excellence. Also (rarely), the condition of being ‘equal to an emergency’.

In what way can men and women be 'equal in power' or have 'equal rank' when the country is run by men?

It was, until you made the incredible claim that men and women are equal.

What's the use in a society which just uses women to fill up the numbers in order to make it look equal on the surface?
Jessaay!
What's the use in a society which just uses women to fill up the numbers in order to make it look equal on the surface?

...Where on earth did you get that from my post? Can you respond regarding the actual issue- which certainly isn't one of positive discrimination?
Reply 99
missygeorgia
...Where on earth did you get that from my post? Can you respond regarding the actual issue- which certainly isn't one of positive discrimination?

It's inferred by a lot of feminism. If we increased the number of women in power, a lot of it would be due to positive discrimination rather than their actual value.

Latest

Trending

Trending