Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Universities putting males in the background

I had been sent information packs from various universities for interviews.

When I open these, all I see is Images of females, hardly any males!

eg.....Life at Leeds, front cover, picture of two females no males.

Study abroad, front cover, picture of a female, no male.

Chemistry, front cover, picture of female, no male.

Accommodation guide, front cover, picture of two females and ONE ASIAN MALE.

If this was the other way around, they would be burning their bras how women are side lined and put in the background.

I have notice this in many prospectors, where they just put males in the background.

Males at university excel and do the cutting edge research, as well as gaining more 1st.
    And yet they are pushed in the background by this so called politically correct culture where they bend over backwards for women and ignore discrimination of young males.

IMAGES ARE VERY POWERFULL AND Young boys see these and get the impression education is a girly thing....This is social engineering!

ReputationRep:
    Women see other women and think "Ooh she looks fun, I could be like her". Men see women and think "Ooh she looks fit, I could do her". That is why.

ReputationRep:
    I'll go burn by boxers. Brb.

ReputationRep:
    They're photos. Males do exist at university. :p:

Someone made this thread already like a week ago

ReputationRep:
    I've noticed that too.
    The first male seen in the 'International Life at Leeds' is on page 6... after 9 women.

ReputationRep:
    lol, maybe those women just looked better on the covers?
    And unless you've looked at every single prospectus/brochure, you can't be sure that men are being discriminated against..
    If they're part of the student body, whats wrong with them being on the cover of a prospectus? :/

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cdiz0k0Rudw

Also, generally there are more women than men in universities.

ReputationRep:
    Something relevant to this: I got an email today sent to all students on my course in my year in my uni, offering advice on how to manage exams, planning revision strategies, coping with stress and anxiety and answering any questions about exams.

Only it's only for female students, and there is nothing for the men.

That kind of annoyed me. Is it only women who get stressed with exams? No. Why do they get the benefit of help with their revision?

ReputationRep:
    We had a similar thread like this a few months ago when I joined. :/ Complaining about women in prospectuses in the same manner.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddyman4)
    Something relevant to this: I got an email today sent to all students on my course in my year in my uni, offering advice on how to manage exams, planning revision strategies, coping with stress and anxiety and answering any questions about exams.

That kind of annoyed me. Is it only women who get stressed with exams? No. Why do they get the benefit of help with their revision?
    Women do not perform as well as men when it comes to exams in general. They may be trying to close the gap between male/female performance in exams at your university?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JW92)
    Women see other women and think "Ooh she looks fun, I could be like her". Men see women and think "Ooh she looks fit, I could do her". That is why.
    Are you that stupid and simple minded?

Young boys see these and get the impression education is a girly thing.
    If this was the other way around, there would be a big out cry!
    You boys these days have been pussy wipped that you don't even see when your being sidelined

ReputationRep:
    I guess, women look better on camera than men. However, if you look at nursing school, you will find more males than there really is. For IT or engineering you will probably find more men. Anyway, I don't mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddyman4)

I can't believe things like this happen so openly and the people do this get away with it.
    If this was the other way around, they would by going to court and getting money for damages.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samsamsam500)
    Are you that stupid and simple minded?

Young boys see these and get the impression education is a girly thing.
    If this was the other way around, there would be a big out cry!
    You boys these days have been pussy wipped that you don't even see when your being sidelined
    Get real, mate. It's still a man's world and all high power professions are dominated by men. Also, I think my point still stands, to be honest.

Its marketing material...if they really do use an absurdly high amount of women in the photographs, its more a case of them being taken advantage of than bent over for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snipper)
    I've noticed that too.
    The first male seen in the 'International Life at Leeds' is on page 6... after 9 women.
    I am surprised that a female admitted this.
    Most girls would never find anything sexist unless its against their own sex.
    Sad but true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JW92)
    lmao so true

ReputationRep:
    They are just toeing the pc line. If there is even one minority ethnic on a course you can guarantee it will be their story on the website or in the prospectuses!

That's the way it is at university. Get used to it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JW92)
    hahaha!
    probably this.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 16, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.