Turn on thread page Beta

MSc Management + University College London watch

ReputationRep:
    A couple of weeks ago I received an offer from UCL for their new Masters in Management programme. The course is based on the London Business School programme and is being taught be ex and current LBS lecturers. I was wondering if anyone else has applied and whether you have attained offers?

Please join the facebook group:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=319425182714

ReputationRep:
    Do you think the course will be less competitive because it's new? I guess there is still competition if they're charging £8k. Also where do you think it'll rank on the Msc business rankings in the next couple of years?

ReputationRep:
    Here's my last two minutes in short:

- WHAT?! UCL offers a Masters degree in Management?! There was nothing in their site about that when I checked earlier this year!!!
    - *panically types in ucl.ac.uk and searches the course list for the programme*
    - WTH?! It's not in the course list
    - *uses site search*
    - *finds the link to the programme page - temporary heart failure*
    - *sees 8k GBP tuition fee, heart jumps from joy (cheap compared to KCL/Imperial/LSE etc)
    - *sees that it is a conversion course for people with a non-management first degree - starts crying*

Oh well, seems like I'll have to make do with Westminster or KCL (if I ever hear from them and get in) then...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shuvle)
    Do you think the course will be less competitive because it's new? I guess there is still competition if they're charging £8k. Also where do you think it'll rank on the Msc business rankings in the next couple of years?
    Hey hope your well. The course is very new. I had an offer from the department for MSc Technology Entrepreneurship but thought that this course would be better suited for my career ambitions.

When I had my interview, one of the main things that the department seem to be looking for are students that they think will land very good graduate roles along with the usual academic background. The reason for this is the rankings are based on how many students land a job straight after the MSc Management programme.

The course is very competitive and they are only taking like 30 to 40 students this year. With the academic staff and their vision I think they will realistically be top 15 within first year and top ten with two years time.

ReputationRep:
    I have applied for this course as well. The admissions tutor told me that the course is new and they haven't included it in the prospectus. He also advised me to base my personal statement on both the Tech. Ent. course and the management course.....which I did.
    I applied around 3 weeks ago and am waiting.....
    I don't really think much people know about this, do they?

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering... it says you can apply from March 1st. How can you all have applied already and even had interviews?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zoya.kamal)
    I have applied for this course as well. The admissions tutor told me that the course is new and they haven't included it in the prospectus. He also advised me to base my personal statement on both the Tech. Ent. course and the management course.....which I did.
    I applied around 3 weeks ago and am waiting.....
    I don't really think much people know about this, do they?
    **** you should chase it up cause they are quite slow like that. Mine was quick because I already had an offer for technology entrepreneurship and also because I am a UCL graduate. It looks like a really good course and I compared the modules with LBS and they are more or less the same.

People do not know about the course because it had not even been approved until recently. Thats how new it is. When I had my interview however the tutor did say that there had been alot of interest in it from students abroad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TitanicTeutonicPhil)
    Just wondering... it says you can apply from March 1st. How can you all have applied already and even had interviews?
    The only reason I have an offer is because I am a UCL graduate and already had an offer for Tech Entrepreneurship so they just had to interview me and switch me over. However I still have not got my offer letter but I have an email confirmation thankfully.

ReputationRep:
    I emailed them and they said they might have rejected me for management and considered me for tech. I will have to see what they tell me......if its tech, i might make a fresh app for management. what do u suggest. Iv been corresponding with adrian smith

ReputationRep:
    I emailed them and they said they might have rejected me for management and considered me for tech. I will have to see what they tell me......if its tech, i might make a fresh app for management. what do u suggest. Iv been corresponding with adrian smith
    Adrian Smith is cool guy and very helpful. Hmm would they consider a fresh application for Management? Are you going to the open day? You should attend and speak to the course tutor there personally. Might get your browney points. You could also email Dr Sepalla too seeing as shes the actual course director.

ReputationRep:
    I mailed both of them at the same time. Will probably give them a call tomorrow morning. Well I officially made an application for TE and included in my personal statement that I want to be considered for the Management course too. Apparently Sepalla mailed Smith that she doesnt remember interviewing me and mistakenly CCd me the email too. I guess they will reject me but I guess I'll make a fresh application on Mar 1 when I can actually talk purely about management and no TE.

What do you say?

ReputationRep:
    P.S. couldn't be bothered to go to the open day. way too much effort and alot of uni work

ReputationRep:
    I mailed both of them at the same time. Will probably give them a call tomorrow morning. Well I officially made an application for TE and included in my personal statement that I want to be considered for the Management course too. Apparently Sepalla mailed Smith that she doesnt remember interviewing me and mistakenly CCd me the email too. I guess they will reject me but I guess I'll make a fresh application on Mar 1 when I can actually talk purely about management and no TE.

What do you say?
    Maybe the fact that you applied for TE and just added the fact that you wanted to be considered for MSc Management showed a lack of conviction? I'm not sure tbh but yeah make a fresh application and see where that takes you. So wait did they say when they will get back to you with regards to TE?

Also I know what you mean about the open day, only reason I am going is because I have nothing better to do for the next couple of weeks. Freedom is good lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GuardianFundManager)
    Maybe the fact that you applied for TE and just added the fact that you wanted to be considered for MSc Management showed a lack of conviction? I'm not sure tbh but yeah make a fresh application and see where that takes you. So wait did they say when they will get back to you with regards to TE?

Also I know what you mean about the open day, only reason I am going is because I have nothing better to do for the next couple of weeks. Freedom is good lol.
    Yeh that makes sense but the admission tutor advised me to do that. The same though struck me and I asked him but he said I should do it and a lot of applicants that have applied are doing the same. But guess it does show a bit of randomness. I got in a letter from UCL today and they said that I will get a reply before end of March. That is going to take ages! I guess I'll make an app for Management. Moreover, I can still officially apply for more than one course at UCL so let it be

ReputationRep:
    Surely the UCL course would not be that good, since they dont even have a dedicated business school or MBA programme. Dont you guys think that places like WBS and Imperial are a better bet and more reputable for this sort of thing?

ReputationRep:
    well im attracted to UCL's joint thingy with LBS. That is something big. Moreover in the future they will improve it for sure. No wonder it's climbing up the world rankings. But then Warwick isnt a bad choice either. It is arguable.

ReputationRep:
    well im attracted to UCL's joint thingy with LBS. That is something big. Moreover in the future they will improve it for sure. No wonder it's climbing up the world rankings. But then Warwick isnt a bad choice either. It is arguable.
    Lets get serious Imperial has never been a top business school. It is a wanabe business school that was always been amazing for engineering and sciences but never business. Atleast UCL are not trying to do that. They are forming this department and course to aid their science and engineering graduates to have business know how.

UCL has very good links with LBS and my plan is to potentially exploit that as I want to go on to do further studies (MBA) at LBS in a couple of years.

All these MSc Management programmes are pre MBA programmes and are all conversion courses so they are all good tbh. Anyway I havent heard any great comments about Imperials MSc Management programme tbh. Does justify paying 21K.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AfghanistanBananistan)
    Surely the UCL course would not be that good, since they dont even have a dedicated business school or MBA programme. Dont you guys think that places like WBS and Imperial are a better bet and more reputable for this sort of thing?
    Warwick however is very good. agreed.

ReputationRep:
    well Imperial has made its way to the top for entrepreneurship.....u cant say if some uni isnt good in one thing, it can never be..... im sure imperial wasnt ranked good for science a 100 years back....but well yeah that certainly doesnt mean UCL is lagging in any way. I am sure UCL's MIM program will make its way faster to the top.....plus the LBS affiliation is sweet

I never applied to Imperial business school just coz i thought there were many other better options to consider.....

ReputationRep:
    I had no idea that UCL offered Management courses. Do you have a web link for this? I didn't see it before.
    Thanks

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.