Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Am I overreacting? Or am I just too sensitive? Watch

I went to see a friend of mine Tuesday and he informed me that him & his wife are splitting up - despite working this out (because stuff said on Facebook) I was still a bit shocked.

He told me that she (I would like to point out that her & me have never met; nor have we even talked) thinks I'm "psychotic" - because apparently, (I'm not too sure what this refers to) I always used to pester my friend and try to get him to talk to me.

He then explained that the reason for them splitting up is because she is unwell mentally and it has been agreed that she goes into a care home. He said that he hopes "I don't end up like her" - my response was just "oh, ok". After I went home and this really sank in, I got very upset.

Am I overreacting here? Someone said that his comment about how he hopes I don't end up the same way was rather insensitive.

ReputationRep:
    I think you're being a pansy, it's clearly not your fault.

ReputationRep:
    I imagine he is going through a tough time and isn't really considering his words that carefully. Just be nice to him for now.

I emailed him and told him that what he said has upset me. He replied and said: "I know what I said to you on Tuesday but that is how it sometimes feels."

ReputationRep:
    Don't get upset over what someone being put in a mental home thinks about you?

ReputationRep:
    What the hell are you upset about?

Yes, you're being overly sensitive.

ReputationRep:
    you are over-reacting and being too sensitive

(Original post by jumpingjesusholycow)
    What the hell are you upset about?
    What do YOU think?:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    So you're upset because a crazy person thinks you are crazy?

Dude, get over it.

ReputationRep:
    i dont get what youre upset about either
    its not a big deal
    get over it, im sure your friend has bigger things to think about than you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I emailed him and told him that what he said has upset me. He replied and said: "I know what I said to you on Tuesday but that is how it sometimes feels."
    So he thinks you're becoming mentally ill too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    What do YOU think?:rolleyes:
    Meh, not too sure. I'd just shrug it the hell off and get back to my life.

(Original post by reisen)
    So he thinks you're becoming mentally ill too?
    He already knows I am mentally ill.

ReputationRep:
    oh ok then that is really insensitive of him. I'd be really pissed off

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't sound mean to be honest just sounds like he cares and he hopes your condition wont get worse to the point you have to be taken into care :s.

ReputationRep:
    edit: yes if he knows you are mentally ill that is quite an insensitive thing to say
    but don't be too affected by what his wife thinks if she's never met you

(Original post by yellowwdaisy)
    but don't be too affected by what his wife thinks if she's never met you
    Yeah, this isn't bothering me any more.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 15, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.