Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How many assignments can you fail before moving to the second year? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    How many assignments can you fail/not pass in your first year of university before moving on to your second year?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    The general rule is that you can't start your second year until you pass the first and, for some subjects, you abolutely have to pass certain modules before moving onto the second year even if you pass overall. You can therefore "fail" 60% of your first year but this isn't adviseable; and it's certainly still eary enough in the year for you to turn things around if they're going badly at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure, though I guess different unis have different policies, that you can't fail a module and go on - you have to redo any that you fail. I believe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I'm_Unsafe.)
    I'm pretty sure, though I guess different unis have different policies, that you can't fail a module and go on - you have to redo any that you fail. I believe.
    This is certainly how it worked when I was at university. If you failed one module, you had to re-take it and pass over the summer. If you failed it again, or if you failed more than two at all, you failed the course and had to re-take the full year again if you wanted to move on.

ReputationRep:
    At my uni, if you failed one assignment you failed the module and thus that year.

If you're in a position where you need to ask this question, perhaps you should cut your losses and leave university?

ReputationRep:
    When I was at uni you had to pass everything in order to move on to 2nd year. We were given two chances to pass our assignments, which were capped at 40%. If you failed the resits, then you were dismissed from the course!.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annie72)
    When I was at uni you had to pass everything in order to move on to 2nd year. We were given two chances to pass our assignments, which were capped at 40%. If you failed the resits, then you were dismissed from the course!.
    This, although at UEL if you failed the re-sit in the summer, you got the chance to resit the entire module. In some instances it was possible to re-sit the 1st year module while studying your 2nd year modules. Although this meant more work in 2nd year and if you failed the module re-sit, you failed the course (kinda like a 3-strike policy)

ReputationRep:
    Well you can fail them all and move on to your second year at university, but you will be spending all your time in that second year doing resits of the material you [should have] learned in the first year.

ReputationRep:
    We just have to get 40% in every module to pass the year. That means we can fail assignments and such but it's generally easier to get as many marks as you can in coursework and then just be crap in the exam.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.