Turn on thread page Beta

Is A-level Computing Respected???? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhaal85)
    You tit, you cant get an AS in further maths. Further maths is two A-levels. You cant get an AS in it. Minimum to get any grade is six modules. So if you are doing further maths, and maths (carried onto second year) then its 12 modules in total.
    YOU ARE INCORRECT.

FURTHER MATHS IS AN A-LEVEL COMPRISED OF 6 SEPERATE MODULES.

MATHS IS AN A-LEVEL COMPRISED OF 6 SEPERATE MODULES.

E.G.) TO GAIN AN A2 IN MATHS, I NEED TO DO P1, P2, S1, P4, P5, S4

TO GAIN AN AS LEVEL IN FURTHER MATHS, I NEED TO DO P3, M4, M5.

I CAN GET AN A2 IN MATHS, AND AN AS IN FURTHER MATHS.

2 SEPERATE THINGS.

I.E.) A PERSON SAYS : " I DO MATHS, FURTHER MATHS, PHYSICS"

WHEREBY TEH FURTHER MATHS IS MORE MODULES WHICH WILL GIVE HE/SHE THE "FURTHER MATHS QUALIFICATION". IT IS A SEPERATE THING.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piggsy_123)
    YOU ARE INCORRECT.

FURTHER MATHS IS AN A-LEVEL COMPRISED OF 6 SEPERATE MODULES.

MATHS IS AN A-LEVEL COMPRISED OF 6 SEPERATE MODULES.

E.G.) TO GAIN AN A2 IN MATHS, I NEED TO DO P1, P2, S1, P4, P5, S4

TO GAIN AN AS LEVEL IN FURTHER MATHS, I NEED TO DO P3, M4, M5.

I CAN GET AN A2 IN MATHS, AND AN AS IN FURTHER MATHS.

2 SEPERATE THINGS.

I.E.) A PERSON SAYS : " I DO MATHS, FURTHER MATHS, PHYSICS"

WHEREBY TEH FURTHER MATHS IS MORE MODULES WHICH WILL GIVE HE/SHE THE "FURTHER MATHS QUALIFICATION". IT IS A SEPERATE THING.
    They are treated as two seperate subjects, you tit. Is it also possible for you to turn off 'CAPS LOCK', you know, its that key that is located just above the 'Shift' key and below the 'TAB' key, you know the one I mean?

ReputationRep:
    They are treated as two seperate subjects, you tit. Is it also possible for you to turn off 'CAPS LOCK', you know, its that key that is located just above the 'Shift' key and below the 'TAB' key, you know the one I mean?
    i do 6 modules to get my A-Level in Mathematics, and i do another 3 modules to get my AS Level in Further Mathematics. u r clueless

ReputationRep:
    (Further)Maths, Modern & Classical Languages, Sciences, English and History are not mickey mouse.

Geography, Art, Computing, Electronics and Economics are border line mickey mouse.

All -ologies, General Studies, IT and everything not mentioned above is mickey mouse.

Easy, really

I would imagine that my "border line" mickey mouse choices are controversial - I make these because I know friends whose conditional offers at good Universities have explicitly excluded these "subjects".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amexblack)
    (Further)Maths, Modern & Classical Languages, Sciences, English and History are not mickey mouse.

Geography, Art, Computing, Electronics and Economics are border line mickey mouse.

All -ologies, General Studies, IT and everything not mentioned above is mickey mouse.

Easy, really

I would imagine that my "border line" mickey mouse choices are controversial - I make these because I know friends whose conditional offers at good Universities have explicitly excluded these "subjects".
    I can't see how computing or electronics can be considered micky mouse. Even geography can be quite scientific. Maybe I.T is mickymouse but a lot of people still fail it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    I can't see how computing or electronics can be considered micky mouse. Even geography can be quite scientific. Maybe I.T is mickymouse but a lot of people still fail it.
    Comptuing Isn't mickey mouse - it is respected by universities i.e.) if it is with Mathematics and physics as it will be with me.

thing is, some guy in here reckons u cant do a full a-level in mathematics and an AS level in Further Mathematics

u do 6 modules to get the a-level in maths, and 3 modules to get the AS level in further mathematics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amexblack)

Easy, really

I think this is all wrong - particularly the claim that anything you haven't mentioned is a mickey mouse subject. :rolleyes:

If top unis have excluded some of those subjects you think are borderline from offers, it's more likely because they aren't as relevant to the course, not because they aren't respected. The easiest way to tell which subjects uni's think are less academic is to see what they actually say - e.g. the LSE has a list of Alevels it'd rather applicants don't have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piggsy_123)
    i do 6 modules to get my A-Level in Mathematics, and i do another 3 modules to get my AS Level in Further Mathematics. u r clueless
    You retard:

http://www.pursglove.ac.uk/Mathemati...ther_maths.htm

ReputationRep:
    You retard:

http://www.pursglove.ac.uk/Mathemati...ther_maths.htm
    exactly u retard!!!

6 modules to get your a-level maths
    another 6 to get a-level further maths.

however, if u choose to do 3 modules of further maths, u get an AS Level in Further Maths.

jesus christ, i shud know.]

Nylex has done a FULL A-LEVEL IN MATHS (6 MODULES) AND HE HAS ALSO DONE AN AS LEVEL IN FURTHER MATHS (3 EXTRA MODULES)

ReputationRep:
    You tit, you cant get an AS in further maths. Further maths is two A-levels. You cant get an AS in it. Minimum to get any grade is six modules. So if you are doing further maths, and maths (carried onto second year) then its 12 modules in total.
    you can get an AS in Further maths, after getting an A-Level Maths that is - 9 modules in total.

6 - A-Level Maths
    3 - AS Level Further Maths

ReputationRep:
    Compared to A LEvel ICT it is, the exam are much more easier then ICT because ICT is more essay, therefore making it more of a liturate course. Computing is more techincal and exam questions are easy. i found out that computing is easy if you put the work in and the exam are piss easy, allowing to get a good A Level on your C.V, however on personal notes i think that if i studied ICT my english skills would have improved.
    So it depends wot u wanna do in the future

if you wanna do the business stuff rather then the science and technical stuff do ICT else do Computing. in university they have courses known as BIS and BIT, Business information systems - which is more ICT based and BIT is business information technology. it may sound daft cuz ud think b.i.t was more I.T but it aint, so its up to you, you can do wot eva you want however in Computing you study Access in first year where as in the 2nd year of ICT u study and do a project in Access, my m8s who do ICT found it hard to adapt to Access, and when they have gone on to uni they found the computing side quite difficult.

so it all depends are you gonna be a person working for Adidas using the computer, to interact with customers or you gonna be the person who goes into work in your own clothes and actuall make the program for the front end staff to use

ITS YOUR CHOICE BARE IN MIND NUTHIN IS HARD IF YOU WORK TO IT. be realistic about yourself, consider the work load and will you be able to handle your other A LEvels, if you still not sure reply and i can explain in depth, best option is to think and do wot u think is ryt not wot sum1 says is. GOOD LUCK IN CHOSING, HAPPY COMPUTING OR I.C.T

always happy to help

ReputationRep:
    That's good of you to help, but the thread was made ages ago.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.