Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    HI!
    i have applied to goldsmiths for sep 2010 and got a place
    i like the sound of the course but im scared that i will not fit in.

im from south east london and im to RnB music, went 2 the open day and it seemed that the people were the sterotypical people who are into indie music but seemed like nice people

need help xx

ReputationRep:
    Just be yourself and you'll find people who like you, and you like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smiz)
    Just be yourself and you'll find people who like you, and you like.
    Thanks, thats a positive way of thinking about it

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, I worried about not fitting in, but at the end of the day its making the most of the people you're with. I'm still not fully confident with being there and am dfinding it hard to make good friends, but I think thats me being stereotypical. I've attended Goldsmiths since September last year and studying Psychology, and it does seem there are cliques within our group. However, if you are put in a group situation people are generally friendly. Just depends on how you look at it really Positive attitudes work wonders xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lauren_louise)
    HI!

im from south east london and im to RnB music, went 2 the open day and it seemed that the people were the sterotypical people who are into indie music but seemed like nice people

need help xx
    don't worry about it. As someone said, just be yourself. I'm currently in my first year at Goldsmiths and I'm from london aswell, im also into rnb music and gospel music and I'm fine! Goldsmithsis actually really diverse so you will be fine! What course are u planning on doing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inziebaybee)
    don't worry about it. As someone said, just be yourself. I'm currently in my first year at Goldsmiths and I'm from london aswell, im also into rnb music and gospel music and I'm fine! Goldsmithsis actually really diverse so you will be fine! What course are u planning on doing?
    I want to study media and communications what course are you studying??

ReputationRep:
    I went to the open day too and i was like omg o_O i know what you mean lol. Its like only the second time i've ever been to london in my life haha.. atleast you know your way around & all that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheVeryHungryCaterpillar.)
    I went to the open day too and i was like omg o_O i know what you mean lol. Its like only the second time i've ever been to london in my life haha.. atleast you know your way around & all that
    thats true i know that part of london really well, i have been around there all my life

ReputationRep:
    HI!

need help xx
    Hey Louise, join this group

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi....2589517305..1

it might ease your worries about whether you'll 'fit in'!

ReputationRep:
    I am a media and comms student, living here, I am in my 2nd term, and being honest I find it hard to fit in..

Im like the only blonde, in to rnb, pop hip hop scene, non drugs taker... an I feel like a minority..

I have always thought of myself as very confident easy to get on with, and I feel being here has seriously bought all that down..

Thats just my view xx

ReputationRep:
    been at goldsmiths for a while. as long as you're interested & interesting, you'll fit in fine. i think people who aren't open to new things are the ones that find it hardest to fit in. everyone's just as scared as each other about the typical smiths reputation & stereotype & embodying this, but it doesn't matter - it even becomes a joke after a while. just break the ice, dude.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Who2004uk)
    Hey Louise, join this group

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi....2589517305..1

it might ease your worries about whether you'll 'fit in'!

Thanks! i joined the group

ReputationRep:
    HI!

need help xx
    Depends on your course.

I did English and I couldn't get along with ANYONE. I've been born and bred in London and I found it almost impossibly difficult to integrate with anyone on my course.

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I'm going into my second year at Goldsmiths now, I study media and communications.

I listen to hip-hop and R&B and have become the 'token' friend amongst the group haha.

It's not just about music though, that's one thing that's different about uni I guess. (Almost) everyone is there for the same reason, and you obviously share a love of the course otherwise it's a bit of a waste of near enough 30grand.

Goldsmiths is really stereotyped by the media and it's giving out the wrong impression to perspective students. There are different kinds of people there (and when I say different I mean I saw a BOY wearing bright orange cycling shorts with tie dye leggings and Ugg boots in the cateen) but I think that's something that makes Goldsmiths special. You're bound to get along with someone you live with or someone on your course, and if not, you've got the whole of London to find friends that are more suited to you.

There's only just over 4500 students, so it makes you feel part of something by even getting in. I know that I was one of only 14% that got accepted on to my course last year. There's a good 'community' at Goldsmiths.

I feel like I'm rambling now but this is something I feel quite strongly about as since they put Goldsmiths on Skins everyone thinks it's just for hipsters and indie kids... It's not. It's just a university.

One thing I will say is that if you're expecting a banging freshers week and a let's go out big every night of the week attitude. Don't go to Goldsmiths haha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thebabybeatbox)
    Hi

I'm going into my second year at Goldsmiths now, I study media and communications.

I listen to hip-hop and R&B and have become the 'token' friend amongst the group haha.

It's not just about music though, that's one thing that's different about uni I guess. (Almost) everyone is there for the same reason, and you obviously share a love of the course otherwise it's a bit of a waste of near enough 30grand.

Goldsmiths is really stereotyped by the media and it's giving out the wrong impression to perspective students. There are different kinds of people there (and when I say different I mean I saw a BOY wearing bright orange cycling shorts with tie dye leggings and Ugg boots in the cateen) but I think that's something that makes Goldsmiths special. You're bound to get along with someone you live with or someone on your course, and if not, you've got the whole of London to find friends that are more suited to you.

There's only just over 4500 students, so it makes you feel part of something by even getting in. I know that I was one of only 14% that got accepted on to my course last year. There's a good 'community' at Goldsmiths.

I feel like I'm rambling now but this is something I feel quite strongly about as since they put Goldsmiths on Skins everyone thinks it's just for hipsters and indie kids... It's not. It's just a university.

One thing I will say is that if you're expecting a banging freshers week and a let's go out big every night of the week attitude. Don't go to Goldsmiths haha.
    thanks, that really helps me alot

i got my place confirmed today, im excited

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 19, 2010
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.