Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Does doing a BTEC in college = rubbish Uni? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Last year I did my A levels but because I didn't try and was hardly in college I failed pretty much all of them.

So this year I've been doing a BTEC course in Graphics & Media and I hope to go to a good University next year. But somebody told me today that if you do a BTEC you won't end up in a good Uni. They said i'd end up in a Uni full of chavs etc...

Is this true? Does doing a BTEC automatically mean you're destined for a crap Uni? Has anyone on here done a BTEC but ended up in a really good one?

ReputationRep:
    Get DDD and you'll be able to go to most unis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IGX_RSV2)
    Get DDD and you'll be able to go to most unis.
    What If I get MMM?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spaceman5000)
    What If I get MMM?
    I would push yourself for atleast a DMM or DDM.

ReputationRep:
    look at uni sites for requirements. also published in TSR for some or most of them. by obtaining the requirements wont mean that you are set for the uni.

ReputationRep:
    What If I get MMM?
    Still an ok grade, you'll still have plenty of choices.

ReputationRep:
    Kamehameha (>o.o)>====0 (x_x)

ReputationRep:
    I would say aim for atleast one distinction, my friend is finishing a BTECH and from what I gather to make you stand out to a higher ranking uni you're going to need some distinctions really.

(Original post by L'Amour Toujours)
    I'm in the know

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IGX_RSV2)
    Kamehameha (>o.o)>====0 (x_x)
    Final Flash!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    I know someone who got DDD and is at Kings, so no.

ReputationRep:
    My housemate did a BTEC in Public Services and now does Pyschology at Exeter uni.

My bestfriend did a BTEC in media and now does Music management at Westminster uni - She is in two bands, has an EP album coming out and is having a great time.

ReputationRep:
    Last year I did my A levels but because I didn't try and was hardly in college I failed pretty much all of them.

So this year I've been doing a BTEC course in Graphics & Media and I hope to go to a good University next year. But somebody told me today that if you do a BTEC you won't end up in a good Uni. They said i'd end up in a Uni full of chavs etc...

Is this true? Does doing a BTEC automatically mean you're destined for a crap Uni? Has anyone on here done a BTEC but ended up in a really good one?
    why is this a warned post?

ReputationRep:
    I'am doing a btec in Media production at college you can get into a good university but you have to put the effort in by doing all the course work to distinction level and sticking to deadlines you could get into really good universities for Media if you get a DDM or DDD such As Bournemouth which is meant to be best for Media in country as its skillset accrediated.

ReputationRep:
    i got rejected from good unis as my predicted grades where a pathetic DMM. This is wrong as im getting a DDD, stupid college, right?

ReputationRep:
    Always aim for DDD.

ReputationRep:
    yh DDD is highest you can get on this course and with a btec you can always improve on your work and up it from pass to distinction

ReputationRep:
    There are "good" universities that accept BTECs. I know York and Kings accept them.

ReputationRep:
    What If I get MMM?
    You won't get into a top uni with that, with that you'll be looking at unis like Nottingham Trent, Sheffield Hallam, Hertfordshire etc..

To get into the really good ones, you'll need DDM or DDD, tbh this is just basic knowledge, it's the same requirements for A-Levels.

If you get AAB, you get to top unis, if you get CCC (which is MMM) you won't really get into a TOP TOP class one, right?

ReputationRep:
    I don't get why so many people assume BTEC qualifications are so bad.. If you were to take a BTEC and come out with a DDD grade then that's the same as taking 3 A levels and ending up with 3 As :\

& even if you were to get a grade of MMM, then that's the equivalent of 3 Bs at A level - what's so bad about that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emzily)
    I don't get why so many people assume BTEC qualifications are so bad.. If you were to take a BTEC and come out with a DDD grade then that's the same as taking 3 A levels and ending up with 3 As :\
    I agree - people assume that those who take BTECs cant cope with A-Levels which isn't always the case.

(Original post by emzily)
    & even if you were to get a grade of MMM, then that's the equivalent of 3 Bs at A level - what's so bad about that?
    MMM = CCC in A-Levels

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Features

Blinkered horse

Take off your BTEC blinkers

Find out the truth behind the BTEC myths.

Polling station sign

BTEC essentials

What you really need to know about studying BTEC.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.