Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why are YOU Doing a Degree? Watch

• View Poll Results: Why are you studying for your degree?
    For a job/career
    44.74%
    Love for the subject
    40.00%
    To go into research
    6.32%
    My friend's studying it
    0%
    My parent(s) studied it
    0%
    Chose it on a whim
    4.74%
    Other..
    4.21%

ReputationRep:
    There have been plenty of posts here, especially recently, where people assume that the reason everybody is doing a degree is so that they can get a job at the end of it.

Now, for something like Golf Course Management (that's not a dig at "mickey mouse" subjects - it's a good example), I can see that being the case. After all, I don't suppose there is much interest in researching further into the subject.

But taking my chosen subject for example, Computer Science, is it just me that thinks that it really isn't the case? There are people on my course studying to get a job, as preparation for a PhD, to go into research and even just because they love the subject!

Personally, I'm the latter: I study CompSci because I enjoy the subject. Yeah, I'm a huge geek: I spend my spare time programming, making web-sites for people and testing web-site security. If I'm not doing something practical, I'm reading a CompSci book or an article online. I have hopes of doing a Masters, then after that, we'll see

So what's it for you?

ReputationRep:
    To gain the neccessary qualification to be able to teach children. I love teaching and working with young people. Nearing graduation soon and will be hoping to get a job this september ...Can't wait to have my own class!

ReputationRep:
    History of Art: Out of my passion for the subject. I hope to be able to develop a career i the subject that I love, that would be fantastic. If not, then I would still have no regrets

ReputationRep:
    I need to eat

ReputationRep:
    I chose job, because its the slightly more important reason, but its also because I find it fascinating, i think the work at the end will be interesting and enjoyable, it opens up SOO many opportunities, and its a very versatile but also specific degree- acoustical engineering. Also when I went to the open day at the uni im at (its only offered properly in like 2 places in the UK) they showed me around and it looked really good.

ReputationRep:
    To have the qualifications for the job I want to do (Business Analysis) and be able to look into my chosen subject in more depth (Information Systems) than I have done at college.

ReputationRep:
    Sort of as an investment for the future. i'm not entirely sure what job I want to do, (accountant at the moment but will no doubt chop and change), but most decent jobs seem to require some degree so I see it as a good thing to have whatever I decide to do.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly I'm doing a degree because I was "clever" and it was expected of me.
    Unsurprisingly, I now regret this.
    Still, 4 months to go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by romeos*****)
    Honestly I'm doing a degree because I was "clever" and it was expected of me.
    Unsurprisingly, I now regret this.
    Still, 4 months to go.
    4 months until you graduate? That's a long time to do something you regret. I'm kinda split on that: I congratulate you on sticking at it and pulling through, but also a little confused - why didn't you change course, or do something else instead?

ReputationRep:
    1) I need a Bachelor's degree to stand any chance of becoming an ESL teacher
    2) I've always enjoyed history at school and wanted to try something different to go along with it (hence choosing American Studies)

ReputationRep:
    chicks love a scholarly man, or so i've heard

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing Comp Sci, and then hopefully a PhD, to go into research ^_^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Conor Tickner)
    I chose job, because its the slightly more important reason, but its also because I find it fascinating, i think the work at the end will be interesting and enjoyable, it opens up SOO many opportunities, and its a very versatile but also specific degree- acoustical engineering. Also when I went to the open day at the uni im at (its only offered properly in like 2 places in the UK) they showed me around and it looked really good.
    can't wait till they find the immortality methods, then that quote in your sig about life being like falling out of the sky won't be true anymore.

ReputationRep:
    Well I am a deferred year student, but since I have my place 100% I hope it still counts . I chose to do Modern Foreign Languages (major: German, minor: Spanish) because of my pure love for the subject. I have no idea what I want to do with my languages, but I love learning new languages, culture, history, being able to read a novel in a new language, having a conversation with a native about a political situation, getting about and just being able to communicate, and as bad as it sounds, it is such a thrill to be able to translate between the lost tourists and shop-assistants/waiters etc and I end up with such an ego-boost.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkWhite)
    There have been plenty of posts here, especially recently, where people assume that the reason everybody is doing a degree is so that they can get a job at the end of it.

Now, for something like Golf Course Management (that's not a dig at "mickey mouse" subjects - it's a good example), I can see that being the case. After all, I don't suppose there is much interest in researching further into the subject.

But taking my chosen subject for example, Computer Science, is it just me that thinks that it really isn't the case? There are people on my course studying to get a job, as preparation for a PhD, to go into research and even just because they love the subject!

Personally, I'm the latter: I study CompSci because I enjoy the subject. Yeah, I'm a huge geek: I spend my spare time programming, making web-sites for people and testing web-site security. If I'm not doing something practical, I'm reading a CompSci book or an article online. I have hopes of doing a Masters, then after that, we'll see

So what's it for you?
    Because I want to be a vet...and with out the degree first it would not be possible, so yeah could say for a job, but it's a specific job, and I wouldn't call it a job really, I'd call it a way of which I want to live!!
    Could aslos say that it's what I'm interested in, and is to do with animals, which I love working with...
    so combination of many things

ReputationRep:
    For a job/career - without a degree in optometry, I'm not going to be an optometrist.

ReputationRep:
    The MODELS AND THE BOTTLES!!!

ReputationRep:
    I do like the subject, but the job is my prime concern. I get qualifications to progress my career, not to feel good that I've learnt something interesting. Don't really see the point in education for the sake of it, the rest of my life is much more important than 3 years of uni.

ReputationRep:
    To open up opportunities and to secure a comfortable future.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't even applied yet, but the main reason I'm going to do a degree is the love for the subjects (English & History). Also job prospects comes in to it, but really I want to just study these subjects for as long as I can, so I might go into research.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.