Turn on thread page Beta

Why are YOU Doing a Degree? watch

• View Poll Results: Why are you studying for your degree?
    For a job/career
    44.74%
    Love for the subject
    40.00%
    To go into research
    6.32%
    My friend's studying it
    0%
    My parent(s) studied it
    0%
    Chose it on a whim
    4.74%
    Other..
    4.21%

ReputationRep:
    Because I'm paid to do it, but more importantly because I genuinely enjoy the course material.

ReputationRep:
    The first two poll options.

I genuinely enjoy the subject and I need the BA in order to study for a Masters/PGCE.

ReputationRep:
    Where's the option "Because i'm Asian".

:ninjagirl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkWhite)
    4 months until you graduate? That's a long time to do something you regret. I'm kinda split on that: I congratulate you on sticking at it and pulling through, but also a little confused - why didn't you change course, or do something else instead?
    Tell me about it.

Basically I couldn't afford to quit, I'd already signed a contract with my housemates by the time I didn't want to do it anymore (January of first year) and because I couldn't think of anything else I wanted to do, quitting just because I didn't like it didn't seem like a good enough reason to throw away a degree. I still don't know what it is that I want to do.

I'm still holding out on the belief that a degree will come in handy as some point of my life. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    So I guess we can't combine two of those tick boxes?

ReputationRep:
    Mainly because Parents wanted me to, I wasn't keen, but boy am I glad I did now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Installation)
    So I guess we can't combine two of those tick boxes?
    Well, no, but you can choose your main reason in the poll and explain fully here

ReputationRep:
    I don't think there was a time when I considered NOT going to uni. As a child always thought it was just the natural thing to do after school, obviously because of my parents' influence. I chose my particular subject for the interest and career prospects as one can't get very far in the scientific world, as far as I'm aware, without a degree.

ReputationRep:
    I really didn't have anything better to do and I enjoy the freedom it has not working... and I would hate it if I didn't work nor study, can't handle with life standing still. And I enjoy my course, sometimes.

ReputationRep:
    I'm just doing a degree because it's expected of me really (although I do love the subject). Everyone seems to be going to uni. I have no idea what I'd do if I didn't.

ReputationRep:
    Because I didn't know what else to do.
    I didn't want to get a full time job, I didn't want to go back to college and I didn't want to be a bum doing nothing (well... I wouldn't have minded that...)

ReputationRep:
    Medicine: So I can be knee deep in clunge

ReputationRep:
    I'm planning on doing CS at Uni because I want a good job in the future. I enjoy computing a lot and hopefully this will result in me getting a job which I like. Also the social independence is pushing me towards moving away from home for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tsukuyomi)
    I need to eat
    This.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Need a degree and then a masters to become a chartered engineer. I also like the subject. And in truth, can't see myself doing anything different.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkWhite)
    Well, no, but you can choose your main reason in the poll and explain fully here
    Alright then, well I want a career and I like law.

ReputationRep:
    Because at school i was told 'i was good for nothing' and was given no help at school so I've gone to uni to get a first to shove it in a few peoples faces as i've only received help at college/university.

Also because I love the subject of Science and its good for a career choice plently of different career pathways.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh i like to learn. Now im not a full on 'nerd' if such a word even exists, but i do enjoy experiencing new things. For this reason i have chosen my favourite subject to study at univerisity. From this i not only get an intellectual fullfilment of learning something that i love, but i also have the chance to broaden my horizons (there is a giant list involved here so im not going to bother listing them). Its cliché i know, but sometimes the best things in life are cliché.

ReputationRep:
    Initially, to be a hard ass Lawyer but now, I just DO NOT KNOW.

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! FML

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *MJ*)
    Where's the option "Because i'm Asian".

:ninjagirl:
    :rofl: I totally get that!

I love the subject, but the real reason I will be doing the degree has to be the career at the end; there are a lot of other degrees I can see myself doing but no other ends in a career I'd really want to do.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.