Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Why are YOU Doing a Degree? watch

• View Poll Results: Why are you studying for your degree?
    For a job/career
    44.74%
    Love for the subject
    40.00%
    To go into research
    6.32%
    My friend's studying it
    0%
    My parent(s) studied it
    0%
    Chose it on a whim
    4.74%
    Other..
    4.21%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by romeos*****)
    Tell me about it.

Basically I couldn't afford to quit, I'd already signed a contract with my housemates by the time I didn't want to do it anymore (January of first year) and because I couldn't think of anything else I wanted to do, quitting just because I didn't like it didn't seem like a good enough reason to throw away a degree. I still don't know what it is that I want to do.

I'm still holding out on the belief that a degree will come in handy as some point of my life. :confused:
    Well, you might as well wait until the end now yeah. What's your degree in? I'm confident it will come in useful, but I mean, don't go into a job you don't enjoy just because your degree would get you in. Surely you'd regret that too?

ReputationRep:
    I'm studying undergraduate Psychology/Biology so that I can hopefully complete a Clinical Doctorate and work in the NHS helping people who really need it.

ReputationRep:
    to go to uni to eventually get the career i want for myself but also to have life experience and all that jazz

ReputationRep:
    At the moment it's to do further research into the subject although i'll probably just end up getting a job after the Masters but you never know...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkWhite)
    Well, you might as well wait until the end now yeah. What's your degree in? I'm confident it will come in useful, but I mean, don't go into a job you don't enjoy just because your degree would get you in. Surely you'd regret that too?
    It's in English. People keep asking me if I want to be a teacher...
    And no, I'm planning to temp for a while and see what happens (basically bum around). I did have a graduate job interview but I turned it down because I didn't want to spend more time regretting that too. It's mainly some far off vision of the future that I see my degree coming in handy.

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm not one of those people who can afford to do a degree purely 'for the love of the subject'; my family and I are simply not rich enough. I'm doing it for the job, and to the lesser extent 'cause it's fairly enjoyable.

ReputationRep:
    If I get into one of the courses I want to do, it'll be a mixture of the "love of subject" and "parent" thing.

My mum did a physics degree and could always tell me the answers to all those annoying questions kids ask their parents. "Why is the sky blue?" "What's a rainbow?" etc... She would take me out to the back garden and do stargazing and stuff with me and I just thought she was utterly epic. I told all my friends my mum was a scientist (she wasn't really - but I didn't know the difference :rolleyes: ).

There was a brief period when I was 13-14 and wanted to be a doctor for the money and shizz. I was going to pick biology as well, but at the last moment my mum convinced me to pick physics. I'm unbelievably glad she did, because I got my head out my arse pretty quickly. Before, I was planning to endure however many years of medical school for a job I wasn't that enthusiastic about, whereas now I'm really excited to apply (and hopefully - fingers crossed - be accepted) for a physics course :woo:

My mum totally saved me from years of horror. I know now that I would hate medical school. It's not me at all.

And I would have thought with the amount of government loans available anyone could afford to do a degree for the love of it. I would like a job in physics, but I'm certainly not "expecting" one. Passion is my main objective and yet my family are far from rich. I won't be able to pay back very much, if any, of my loan until after I've completed my degree.

ReputationRep:
    I did my undergraduate degree because I enjoyed studying the subject and because not having a degree is not something I ever considered. I am doing my post-graduate degree to learn practical skills and improve my employment prospects in a specific industry.

ReputationRep:
    Both for the job, and for the enjoyment of informed academic and theoretical arguement. I enjoyed the cultural studies aspect of mine - debating Foucault and Chomsky, Freud's euro-centrism and Hall's post-marxist theories. Excellent.

ReputationRep:
    To go onto become a teacher and because I'm good at it and enjoy it, when I don't put myself down.

ReputationRep:
    English teacher, speech therapy or language research. I'm gonna need my English language/linguistics degree...

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.