Turn on thread page Beta

"Slaughter the jews!" yells Islamic Society rep at Oxford University watch

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thejc.com/news/uk-news/27...mean-kill-jews

This guy (Noor Rashid) might be expelled now because of his actions. What do you guys think?

EDIT: This website shows pictures of the small man in question: http://www.hurryupharry.org/2010/02/...-rep/#comments

ReputationRep:
    Bloke should be expelled if he did say something like that. University is a place to open minds, not close them. If I was vice-chancellor, I'd just make a move to kick him out then and there.

In the article he came across as a weasel. Practising being a verbal escape artist, like many Oxford students, I guess.

ReputationRep:
    I agree.

Just don't slaughter Sami.

ReputationRep:
    What I don't understand is why he didn't just do a runner.

ReputationRep:
    Something seems too idiotic about this story.

ReputationRep:
    Whatever people think, please know that this man does not represent the muslim community. He speaks for no one but himself. Islam does not advocate this sort of biggotry and he is a disgrace as a human being.

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean "what do you think?", obviously it's stupid, but it's just another excuse to create a thread to bash muslims aint it? Go ahead generalize us narrow-minded retards. I bet if it was a Christian society that yelled it out, it wouldn't be on that news let alone be posted on TSR.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good Apollo)
    Regardless of how motivated and enthusiastic about your subject you are, anyone who believes "the Jews" should be "slaughtered", and also believes it is appropriate to shout this out in public, is quite simply far too stupid to be going to university at a place like Oxford.
    What are they supposed to do? Make students fill in a questionnaire saying 'Is it in your belief that jews should be killed' before they attend the university?

ReputationRep:
    'Khaybar, O Jews, we will win’- conquering and killing aren't necessarily the same thing but they do tend to go hand in hand.. I'm more surprised that the muslim prophet attacked a group of people... isn't religon meant to be all about peace & love ?? I recently read one part of the Qur'an that baisically said it was OK for men to cheat but not women... correct me muslims if i misinterpreted??

ReputationRep:
    He says he didn't say 'Slaughter the Jews' but 'Khaybar, O Jews, we will win’.

Seems like people are trying to blow this out of proportion.

ReputationRep:
    seems like an odd thing to shout regardless :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumpingjesusholycow)
    What are they supposed to do? Make students fill in a questionnaire saying 'Is it in your belief that jews should be killed' before they attend the university?
    I thought they had selection processes designed to weed out people who are lacking in intelligence.

The fact that the Christmas-day-bomber was the leader of the Islamic Society at UCL, and also someone who had invited radical Islamists to speak at the university just goes to show that perhaps universities (like Oxford, in this case) would benefit from placing more scrutiny on the people they let in.

ReputationRep:
    Regardless of how motivated and enthusiastic about your subject you are, anyone who believes "the Jews" should be "slaughtered", and also believes it is appropriate to shout this out in public, is quite simply far too stupid to be going to university at a place like Oxford.
    How does holding such views make you stupid ? They may be socially/politically unacceptable, but noway do they show that the guy is any less intelligent or capable and shouldn't deserve to go oxford.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjackson18624)
    'Khaybar, O Jews, we will win’- conquering and killing aren't necessarily the same thing but they do tend to go hand in hand.. I'm more surprised that the muslim prophet attacked a group of people... isn't religon meant to be all about peace & love ?? I recently read one part of the Qur'an that baisically said it was OK for men to cheat but not women... correct me muslims if i misinterpreted??
    1. Ok for men to cheat but not women!!

2. prophet attacked a group of people(in what context)?

Please could u give refreces before making such statements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the_true_message)

This guy (Noor Rashid) might be expelled now because of his actions. What do you guys think?
    Well, of course he should be expelled - that's a terrible thing to say!

He obviously has no sense, otherwise he would have saved his violent, extremist and stereotype-encouraging views for after he graduated from there :awesome:

&& ftr, I find it hilarious that people with no sense such as Mr Noor and Mr "I have all A*'s, why can I not get into Oxbridge; it's not as if anything other than grades contributes to my application!!!!!1!!!eleven!" are even being compared with regards to their ability to get into the damn university!

ReputationRep:
    I thought they had selection processes designed to weed out people who are lacking in intelligence.

The fact that the Christmas-day-bomber was the leader of the Islamic Society at UCL, and also someone who had invited radical Islamists to speak at the university just goes to show that perhaps universities (like Oxford, in this case) would benefit from placing more scrutiny on the people they let in.
    To be intelligent and to shout something greatly inappropriate at such an event are not mutually exclusive. Intelligent people do not exercise good judgement all of the time, especially surrounding things which excite such intense emotions as the politics and history around Israel.

ReputationRep:
    Though I don't agree with the "slaughter of Jews", I can see why he said it, to an Israeli minister at that. He should not be expelled, the University should expect such strong views to foment in the presence of a criminal government minister.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the_true_message)

I hear/read people saying about Muslims almost daily. Maybe I should make a thread about it. He should be kicked out IMO

ReputationRep:
    I would kick him out IMO

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MSB)
    To be intelligent and to shout something greatly inappropriate at such an event are not mutually exclusive. Intelligent people do not exercise good judgement all of the time, especially surrounding things which excite such intense emotions as the politics and history around Israel.
    Whether or not you think Israel has been bad, the phrase "Slaughter the Jews" doesn't sound like he's particularly bothered about innocent Jews living in Israel being slaughtered too.

Fair enough, intelligent people don't always exercise good judgement, but I'm convinced that this wasn't a spur-of-the-moment thing - he'd clearly planned it in advance and he has probably done a lot of thinking about slaughtering Jews before this point.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 15, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.