Turn on thread page Beta

"Slaughter the jews!" yells Islamic Society rep at Oxford University watch

ReputationRep:
    WHAT A SICK, FACIST, ******* TYPICAL BNP VOTIN...Oh they were an Islamic society rep. I think the words were definitley taken out of context. Another example of the islamophobic media.

ReputationRep:
    So is he backtracking or was he misunderstood?

At the moment I am thinking the former rather than the latter.
    Maybe that's just the skeptic in me.

ReputationRep:
    And yet Michael Savage was banned from speaking at Cambridge and is too my knowledge banned from the UK when he has never talked of slaughtering any ethnic or religious group . Iam sure if Nick Griffin much as I dislike him, talked of slaughtering Muslims in a speech ,his feet would not touch the floor .

If the Islamic society rep said that , I feel being kicked out of Oxford should be least that should happen.I think an orange jumpsuit and a cell at belmarsh awaits with a possible holiday to Gitmo. How dare he say that about the jewish people. I think all extremists of whatever religion or ethnicity,once they talk of killing those of another religion, they need to be put away. If he is a British citizen,if he isn't deport the idiot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CapsLocke)
    That guy went to my High school.
    How was he like?

ReputationRep:
    At many times during various debates, both formal and not, I have shouted out such things as "all muslims are terrorists', "fat people should be shot", he's a jew, you can tell by the nose", "she was blatantly on the blob", "lets kill Gordon Brown", "death to all Christians, they're in to the whole martyr thing" and "whose up for another 7/7 dans la stagecoach". Of course, these things were just a bit of banter and high spirits, as I'm sure these societies are. I think people are overhyping things said at suck functions. For example, if one was to attend a certain political society and ask me if I supported terror attacks on Israel, they would get an answer along the lines of "it is the only right thing to do against such a vile, oppressive, xenophobic, bullying state. That of course does not mean that I have any intention of affiliating myself in anyway with anti-Israeli terror groups, or even believe what I say, but that I'm feeling dramatic and hyped up.

Extreme views shouted at university societies, what's new? The scaremongering tactics of the newspapers that report such jokes are trolls at their worst. Perhaps some people should really get a sense of perspective and calm the **** down.

ReputationRep:
    lol, what a douche, although tbh, oxbridge does have its fair share of retards...eg. Nick Griffin, this idiot, etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sadder)
    At many times during various debates, both formal and not, I have shouted out such things as "all muslims are terrorists', "fat people should be shot", he's a jew, you can tell by the nose", "she was blatantly on the blob" and "whose up for another 7/7 dans la stagecoach". Of course, these things were just a bit of banter and high spirits, as I'm sure these societies are. I think people are overhyping things said at suck functions. For example, if one was to attend a certain political society and ask me if I supported terror attacks on Israel, they would get an answer along the lines of "it is the only right thing to do against such a vile, oppressive, xenophobic, bullying state. That of course does not mean that I have any intention of affiliating myself in anyway with anti-Israeli terror groups, or even believe what I say, but that I'm feeling dramatic and hyped up.

Extreme views shouted at university societies, what's new? The scaremongering tactics of the newspapers that report such jokes are trolls at their worst. Perhaps some people should really get a sense of perspective and calm the **** down.
    Well I've been to debates at the Oxford Union many times and I've never heard anything like what this guy said. I was there, he definately wasn't having a bit of banter. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by E_D_B)
    Well I've been to debates at the Oxford Union many times and I've never heard anything like what this guy said. I was there, he definitely wasn't having a bit of banter. :rolleyes:
    I'm assuming you have no agenda (unlike the media 'trolls'), so what really happened? Did he happen to shout when everyone else was quiet or something?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by E_D_B)
    Well I've been to debates at the Oxford Union many times and I've never heard anything like what this guy said. I was there, he definitely wasn't having a bit of banter.
    So what, he doesn't like Jews. 5% of Americans believe that homosexuality is a disease, and 10% of Americans support wiping out countries like Iran and Afghan with bombs. Students experiment with all sorts of ideas. Again, what's new, apart from the fact that he's black and a different religion :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the_true_message)
    I'm assuming you have no agenda (unlike the media 'trolls'), so what really happened? Did he happen to shout when everyone else was quiet or something?
    Well the debate wasn't exactly peaceful at any point, but it wasn't like he was was among a huge crowd of people all shouting slogans. He was easily noticeable. I didn't hear the exact words that he said and I don't speak any Arabis but Danny Ayalon translated what he had said and people in the hall who had understood what he said seemed to agree with Ayalon's interpretation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sadder)
    So what, he doesn't like Jews. 5% of Americans believe that homosexuality is a disease, and 10% of Americans support wiping out countries like Iran and Afghan with bombs. Students experiment with all sorts of ideas. Again, what's new, apart from the fact that he's black and a different religion :rolleyes:
    Well regardless of what some Americans think or don't think, inciting racial hatred is a criminal offence in the UK. Being a student is not an excuse.

ReputationRep:
    Expelled? He should be deported to live in some Islamic hellhole where him and his ideologies belong.

ReputationRep:
    Ah well, he's not the first to act so stupidly at Oxbridge. Take Mr. Griffin as a fine example. It envies me how scum like them can earn places at Oxbridge, purely on academic merit, when their personalities (especially the way they come across to other ethnicities) are appalling.

ReputationRep:
    Uh...Lock him up in a mental asylum!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uer23)
    How does holding such views make you stupid ? They may be socially/politically unacceptable, but noway do they show that the guy is any less intelligent or capable and shouldn't deserve to go oxford.
    Regardless of whether holding such views makes you "stupid", surely he should of at least been bright enough to know the negative consequences his actions would entail? Someone who would piss away a place at one of the most prestigious universities in the world just for some bigoted belief certainly doesn't deserve to go there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sakujo)
    Something seems too idiotic about this story.
    I wouldn't usually comment on this, but everytime I see something which puts a few Muslims in a bad light, you say it's "exaggerated" or "idiotic". Obviously you'd have a tendency to agree with your Muslim brothers, and there is every chance that he did not exclaim "slaughter the jews". But whatever it is, it certainly isn't "too idiotic" to be true.

At my university, I heard a Muslim guy insulting Jews badly in broad daylight and quite loudly at a protest. Only a minority do stuff like this, but it does happen, so it certainly isn't too iditioc to be true, and when it does happen, it should be taken seriously, instead of being dismissed as "lies" or "exaggerations".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by E_D_B)
    Well regardless of what some Americans think or don't think, inciting racial hatred is a criminal offence in the UK. Being a student is not an excuse.
    Ones inalienable human rights and all that: (Article 19 of the UN declaration of Human Rights)

(Original post by UNDOHR)
    Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; this right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media and regardless of frontiers.

ReputationRep:
    He said he didn't mean to say that; read the article, people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by radmuffin)
    He's lying, everyone in the hall who could understand him seemed to agree that he shouted "kill the Jews".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by radmuffin)
    Ah... he didn't mean to say that. My bad.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 15, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.