Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

"Slaughter the jews!" yells Islamic Society rep at Oxford University watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    What a lovely, well-educated- oh, wait. He's just a prat. A jumped-up, arrogant prat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sadder)
    Ones inalienable human rights and all that: (Article 19 of the UN declaration of Human Rights)
    That article does not include the right to incite violence. Almost every European country, including Britain, has laws against the incitement of violence on the basis of race or religion. Part 3 and 3a of the Public Order Act of 1986 legislate against words or materials designed to stir up racial hatred and religious hatred respectively.

There's no "human right" to call for the murder of minority groups.

ReputationRep:
    Seems a tactless thing to do for sure, and if he meant it/wasn't misunderstood, he sounds foul.

However, I don't know on what grounds they would expel him? Admittance into university shouldn't be influenced by political/religious views, its an academic institution, and the places should go to the most able and enthusiastic, as long as they are law abiding. Trying to probe candidates about their poitical/religious stance is totally absurd. No interviewee could possibly be objective or undiscriminatory - what if he was Israeli born? A Muslim? BNP supporter?
    And what difference does it make that he is at Oxdord not, say, DMU, except that TSR has an obsession with elitism?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by milesofsea)
    Seems a tactless thing to do for sure, and if he meant it/wasn't misunderstood, he sounds foul.

However, I don't know on what grounds they would expel him? Admittance into university shouldn't be influenced by political/religious views, its an academic institution, and the places should go to the most able and enthusiastic, as long as they are law abiding.
    But what he said is actually illegal...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lefty Leo)
    Lmaoo.

Believe me they do.
    Believe me, they don't. I've been through the application process and now go there...I've literally never heard of anyone being asked about their personal politics or religion at interview.

They would care if they found out you were a racist like this guy though, obviously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the_true_message)
    This thread was not created for the purpose of hating Islam. The main question in the original post is about the punishment that this individual should receive. Please don't start accusing people of things because of your insecurities.
    Yeah the thread topic usually isnt Islamophobic but the replies usually are. Just read some of the replies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjackson18624)
    'Khaybar, O Jews, we will win’- conquering and killing aren't necessarily the same thing but they do tend to go hand in hand.. I'm more surprised that the muslim prophet attacked a group of people... isn't religon meant to be all about peace & love ?? I recently read one part of the Qur'an that baisically said it was OK for men to cheat but not women... correct me muslims if i misinterpreted??
    Sorry i am not buying that! Can you please quote down that verse as well.Back to the topic : That guy is an idiot who doesn't represent the teachings of Islam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by E_D_B)
    But what he said is actually illegal...

Really? :curious: Stating an opinion (admittedly, with violent connotations) about a group of people is illegal, when it might have been a joke/might have been misheard, and in this case mistranslated/might have been clouded by emotion/might have might have...
    In the end, he hasn't actually gotton near to doing it. Sounds a bit extra cautious to me.

Do they charge every person who takes part in demonstrations against a particular sect of people? (What's the actual law anyway?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by milesofsea)
    Really? :curious: Stating an opinion (admittedly, with violent connotations) about a group of people is illegal, when it might have been a joke/might have been misheard, and in this case mistranslated/might have been clouded by emotion/might have might have...
    In the end, he hasn't actually gotton near to doing it. Sounds a bit extra cautious to me.

Do they charge every person who takes part in demonstrations against a particular sect of people? (What's the actual law anyway?)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_Order_Act_1986

I'm not lawyer but I'd think what he shouted would come under the above legislation. It's unlikely that he'll be prosecuted because it would be too hard to prove what he said, but the University can send him down without going through quite such a stringent process - obviously they would need to be reasonably sure, but everyone in the hall seemed to know what he said.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by E_D_B)
    He's lying, everyone in the hall who could understand him seemed to agree that he shouted "kill the Jews".
    I wonder how many Arabic speakers there were in the hall . . .
    If it were just the visiting speaker who heard him say that, I wouldn't be one hundred per cent confident. Anyway, off to bed ^^

Bye x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by radmuffin)
    I wonder how many Arabic speakers there were in the hall . . .
    If it were just the visiting speaker who heard him say that, I wouldn't be one hundred per cent confident. Anyway, off to bed ^^

Bye x
    Well I went with someone who studies Arabic. She was pretty sure, as were a number of others.

ReputationRep:
    Assuming he did say it, I think the guy might have got too emotional and got carried away. I don't think he meant it. Few Muslims would support 'slaughter the Jews'; 'slaughter the Zionists' maybe but not the other one.

ReputationRep:
    what an extremist idiot, hopefully any potential future employers will consider this story to give him some butt hurt

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the_true_message)
    How will they ever know?
    quick google search of his name

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dennisthe3rd)
    quick google search of his name
    There is more than 1 Noor Rashid.

ReputationRep:
    Just the threat of being expelled will keep his mouth zipped shut I think.:yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjackson18624)
    'Khaybar, O Jews, we will win’- conquering and killing aren't necessarily the same thing but they do tend to go hand in hand.. I'm more surprised that the muslim prophet attacked a group of people... isn't religon meant to be all about peace & love ?? I recently read one part of the Qur'an that baisically said it was OK for men to cheat but not women... correct me muslims if i misinterpreted??
    nah, you're about right on that one.

Go on youtube and look up "fitna" too.

Although I do disagree with a huge amount of what the israeli government does, I'm left wondering a lot of the time which is the greater evil.

ReputationRep:
    Thread closed.

This thread needs a clean-up. It may be re-opened shortly.

Edit: Re-opening. Please keep the discussion sensible and on-topic, and avoid any personal insults. If these continue then the thread is liable to be permanently closed.

As a reminder, this thread is not the place for hate messages towards either Judaism or Islam, which do not belong anywhere on TSR.

ReputationRep:
    he should be kicked out and charged, Im sure he just commited a criminal offense

Maybe he said jewels instead of jews. Could be anti-corporate rally.
    You never know...

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 15, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.