Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Basically, as part of my law course at Dundee University, I have the option to take part in an exchange program, what you reckon is the best?

Hong Kong,
    Australia,
    France?

I'm really interested in Hong Kong but what do you think?

Also, would this look good on a CV and is it worth the costs? Taking into account the social and career benefits it will give me?

LOL, mods sure moved this in the right section quite quickly

Sorry for the mistake.

ReputationRep:
    If you are Chinese (especially Cantonese), go to Hong Kong defo!

ReputationRep:
    Hong Kong is an amazing place. <3

I think your best bets would be HK or France, in both those places you can learn a language, in Australia that's unlikely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LaughingBro)
    If you are Chinese (especially Cantonese), go to Hong Kong defo!
    Lol I'm not but the teaching is in English and would be the exact same as the course i'm doing here in the UK...

I'd pick up the language surely?

ReputationRep:
    France

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sylarfangirl)
    Hong Kong is an amazing place. <3

I think your best bets would be HK or France, in both those places you can learn a language, in Australia that's unlikely.
    That's a good idea, the language aspect, because I am currently doing French and i'm quite good at it, perhaps after one year of living in France my level of French may be impressive on a CV

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ILoveRona)
    Lol I'm not but the teaching is in English and would be the exact same as the course i'm doing here in the UK...

I'd pick up the language surely?
    Well, you would pick up some stuff but it will be very difficult purely because it's so different from English and in Hong Kong, they use traditional chinese letters (which makes it extra difficult to read). But, I'm sure most people speak english there anyway, and by going there, you would have access to a completely different culture.

ReputationRep:
    ...I'd pick up the language surely?
    People speak Cantonese Chinese in HK and it has more tones than Mandarin Chinese so it's gonna be quite hard to pick up in a year! I wish my uni does exchange programme to HK or other East Asian countries!:mad:

ReputationRep:
    People speak Cantonese Chinese in HK and it has more tones than Mandarin Chinese so it's gonna be quite hard to pick up in a year! I wish my uni does exchange programme to HK or other East Asian countries!:mad:
    Well yeah but English is now more common in Hong Kong, i'm sure most people/places will know English.

What uni do you go to?

ReputationRep:
    ^ English is HK's official language too so most young people should know it to different degrees of fluency, and signs have English on them too. I go a uni in London (non Russell group )

ReputationRep:
    ^ English is HK's official language too so most young people should know it to different degrees of fluency, and signs have English on them too. I go a uni in London (non Russell group )
    I don't believe in all that RG crap that TSR seems to pray to...

Anyway, I don't think Dundee is Russel group or if it's even a 'good' university...

ReputationRep:
    ^ Dundee sounds like a good uni! Can't be that bad if it has a city in its name!

ReputationRep:
    ^ Dundee sounds like a good uni! Can't be that bad if it has a city in its name!
    Well going by uni rankings it's like in top 15 for Law UK.

but as an overall uni it's not that good, only for specific subjects.

I can't wait to go to Hong Kong though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infintywhirls)
    ...you would have access to a completely different culture.
    I don't think the culture would be majorly different!

ReputationRep:
    ...but as an overall uni it's not that good, only for specific subjects. I can't wait to go to Hong Kong though...
    Times 2010 rankings says came 41st! That's quite good! Better than a lot of other unis.
    I can't wait to go holiday there again! Such a shopping paradise!

ReputationRep:
    Australia cus they speak English there.

ReputationRep:
    CUHK is an amazing uni!

Did my exchange there. Wonderful city, great people and the campus is like one huge beautiful botanic garden!

Absolutely worth going there!

ReputationRep:
    I don't think the culture would be majorly different!
    you don't go to a RG uni in london? :ashamed: then you must go to the crappiest ones cos all the london good ones are RG. which one do you go to?

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to CUHK this summer. I was wondering how it is for foreigners and what things are there to do outside of school.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, go to HK or France, where you can study another language

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 29, 2010
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.