Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Background: Final year LSE student applied to a mixture of internships and graduate jobs. I did a lot of internship applications because I doubted my ability to secure a full-time position in a decent area with minimal work experience.

I have accepted two internship offers. Both run for ten weeks but my preferred choice (option A) starts a week later than my backup offer (option B).

Option A is close to what I want to do. Whereas option B, albeit in the same division, is just maintaining a support system. Option A is also a more prestigious bank. I do not wish to reveal which banks these are.

The problem is that I have been offered a full-time position with a mid-cap bank. The start date overlaps with option A but not option B.

What should I do:

1. Accept option A, renege option B and book my last week off of the internship (we have 5 days holiday) in order to start the full-time position. Would I be able to do this if I kept it quiet?

2. Accept option B, renege option A. Complete the internship and hope for an offer. Start work at the mid-cap bank the Monday following completion of the internship.

3. Renege both internships and be lazy/travel for the summer before starting full-time with the mid-cap bank.

4. Just do internship A for the whole ten weeks and work my ass off to get made an offer.

What would you do?

Apologies if the message is long-winded and unclear, English is not my first language :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cool Dood)
    Background: Final year LSE student applied to a mixture of internships and graduate jobs. I did a lot of internship applications because I doubted my ability to secure a full-time position in a decent area with minimal work experience.

I have accepted two internship offers. Both run for ten weeks but my preferred choice (option A) starts a week later than my backup offer (option B).

Option A is close to what I want to do. Whereas option B, albeit in the same division, is just maintaining a support system. Option A is also a more prestigious bank. I do not wish to reveal which banks these are.

The problem is that I have been offered a full-time position with a mid-cap bank. The start date overlaps with option A but not option B.

What should I do:

1. Accept option A, renege option B and book my last week off of the internship (we have 5 days holiday) in order to start the full-time position. Would I be able to do this if I kept it quiet?

2. Accept option B, renege option A. Complete the internship and hope for an offer. Start work at the mid-cap bank the Monday following completion of the internship.

3. Renege both internships and be lazy/travel for the summer before starting full-time with the mid-cap bank.

4. Just do internship A for the whole ten weeks and work my ass off to get made an offer.

What would you do?

Apologies if the message is long-winded and unclear, English is not my first language :o:
    What I would personaly do is take option A (seeing as it is close to what you want to do) and inform them that you wish to take the last week off as holiday, if they ask for a reason you can alway say something family related. Then you can start your job at the BB, just incase you dont get an offer from option A.

Although if your happy with the BB then you could always just enjoy your summer by going on a nice long holiday :p:

ReputationRep:

What should I do:

What would you do?

Just out of curiousity, which area are your internships in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unsung_hero)
    What I would personaly do is take option A (seeing as it is close to what you want to do) and inform them that you wish to take the last week off as holiday, if they ask for a reason you can alway say something family related. Then you can start your job at the BB, just incase you dont get an offer from option A.

Although if your happy with the BB then you could always just enjoy your summer by going on a nice long holiday :p:
    Thanks this is what I had planned [the full time offer was with a mid-cap bank, not a BB, this is the problem]. I want to work for a BB full-time but have been unable to secure a position.

(Original post by JDRK)
    Just out of curiousity, which area are your internships in?
    All offers are in market risk.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks this is what I had planned [the full time offer was with a mid-cap bank, not a BB, this is the problem]. I want to work for a BB full-time but have been unable to secure a position.

All offers are in market risk.
    In your shoes, I would do Internship B, then start the full time job at the Mid Cap, whilst applying for BB grad jobs. You might like working at the Mid Cap anyway, smaller teams suit some people better. Maximum experience.

ReputationRep:
    Do what unsung hero said: Accept internship A, take the last week off to "spend time with your family", start working for the mid-cap bank full-time. Who knows, you might prefer working for the smaller firm, so I would avoid route number (4) as this would put the full-time contract in jeopardy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loggins)
    In your shoes, I would do Internship B, then start the full time job at the Mid Cap, whilst applying for BB grad jobs. You might like working at the Mid Cap anyway, smaller teams suit some people better. Maximum experience.
    Grrr. I knew someone would say this, I think it might be the most sensible thing to do as well.

However, it would involve reneging a bank that I have dreamed about working for. And the role is to market risk as trade support is to trading. Making sure all their systems are running smoothly and communicating updates/services that the market risk guys want with the techies.

I will have a long think about it though. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The IC Guy)
    Do what unsung hero said: Accept internship A, take the last week off to "spend time with your family", start working for the mid-cap bank full-time. Who knows, you might prefer working for the smaller firm, so I would avoid route number (4) as this would put the full-time contract in jeopardy.
    How bad is missing the last week of an internship? Is it basically like saying 'I don't want an offer!'?

ReputationRep:
    How bad is missing the last week of an internship? Is it basically like saying 'I don't want an offer!'?
    Don't think that woul look good in any internship. I know someone would take 1-2days as holiday, but one week is stretching too much, especially if you want the job. Unless you could fake out some urgent reason and they really like you, then you could pull it off. (only know one who managed to do so but he played his office politics very well, and ruthless all the way...)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neocortex)
    Don't think that woul look good in any internship. I know someone would take 1-2days as holiday, but one week is stretching too much, especially if you want the job. Unless you could fake out some urgent reason and they really like you, then you could pull it off. (only know one who managed to do so but he played his office politics very well, and ruthless all the way...)
    So you would go for the crappier internship that doesn't overlap?

ReputationRep:
    So you would go for the crappier internship that doesn't overlap?
    Its a big dilemma. Depends how prestigious and how much weight you are putting on the bank you think would make your CV better.

Problem is, in many internships, last week is when the final appraisal/interview is held and determines whether you get the offer or not. Personally you could try risking for option A and say you want to take one week holiday off after internship due to having another full time offer (not sure how they would take it). You could state you really like to work for this optian A bank and would like the opportunity to demonstrate this but as any practical person, you would need a secure job after internship.

Now you could either:

A: ring up HR, not name yourself and ask if you could take one week off due to your current situation and explain your thinking/logic behind it.

B: enter the internship A and then tell them you really need last week off and telling them why. (don't think it would sound good)

C: tell them during internship you have a serious personal circumstances you must go off last week of internship A (may work I guess)...but they may keep bugging you during holiday.

D: just do B for safety and do your full time.

I would try A first. See what the response is. Then risk the C or B approach depending how you think they may react by making sure you work hard to get A offer potentially. Not easy options but as others say, Mid-Cap isn't bad option and might be better for you if you like the environment.

p.s. just my opinion, you should never take forum advise as the only advise, ask friends you know or people in the industry, do not waste time in career centre in unis...they tend to be bad.

ReputationRep:
    Do G during the night, whilst doing half of A then leaving and doing B.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a lazy good-for-nothing, but I would renege both internships and enjoy one last long summer! You already have a job, after all, and you'll never get so much time to yourself again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jelkin)
    I'm a lazy good-for-nothing, but I would renege both internships and enjoy one last long summer! You already have a job, after all, and you'll never get so much time to yourself again
    Exactly!

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.