Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

MISSION MALDIVES???? VOLUNTEER IN THE MALdiVES? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ILoveRona)
    Oh, I see, because taking 'sides' isn't seen as childish at all...

anyway, I don't really care, because i've learnt that the majority of people on TSR are arrogant pricks...

I don't need someone to be on my "side" as long as I know I am right.
    No, as in I was going to support you in your argument because I probably know a fair bit about volunteering, considering I've done a fair amount of it myself. Taking sides is not as immature as using a serious disability as an insult. Get over yourself, and if you hate the forums enough just get the hell off them and stop wasting your time telling people about your volunteering project and then arguing in the most disgustingly immature manner possible. To be honest you're probably more of an arrogant prick than most of the other people you've condemned. Firing back at me saying "you're immature because you said this" without any good reasoning only serves to demean your own argument.

ReputationRep:
    What are you honestly trying to argue?

The website is called MISSION MALDIVES.

The sole purpose of the program is to help, to aid, to volunteer. It's not a ******* tourist resort which I will go to and just write that I helped while I was there.

They have projects for different types of people, you actual downsyndrome.

In the UK, why do people volunteer in charity shops and such? To help people, and don't tell me all of them do it out of the kindness of their heart, nearly everyone about to look for a job or applying to university will do some volunteer and work experience to brighten up their CV/PS.

I think going to the Maldives and helping build shelters or whatever projects there are, is considered better than volunteering in a charity shop.

So yes, it will look good on my CV, because the sole purpose of the program is not to provide a good holiday, I actually pay money to over there and help them, the money I pay is for accommodation etc.

And I wish to point out your second failed attempt at being funny, I don't think anyone laughed at it, simply because of the fact that is was completely irrelevant, especially since there was absolutely no mention of sunbathing, in the OP nor any other post by myself.

So stop trying to be rude and arrogant, isn't it enough nobody likes you in the real world?
    So, wait.. Why don't you just donate the fee directly to their community, thus removing the slice the organisation will take. Their community will receive more money. Plus, you're left with lots of free time you can spend volunteering here in the UK!

I doubt you're offering any kind of skilled labour, so I don't think they really need you there. I find it difficult to imagine these people throwing their arms up in the air, proclaiming in frustration "Oh woe is me. If only we had an unskilled middle class 17 year old to help build this school. Alas, the children will have to go uneducated!"

If I were an employer, the last thing I'd want is some smug individual who, in incredible vulgarity, proclaimed themselves the saviour of the third world, when in reality, they just spent daddies/"fund-raised" money to go and bask in the sun for a month. There are plenty of organisations based in the UK that are in desperate need of volunteers. But hey, who wants to volunteer in the UK when you can go somewhere sunny with loads of facebook photo opportunities!!!1111

Pffft. It's just vulgar.

ReputationRep:
    I don't need support, the issue really isn't all that big, we're not ******* discussing the morality of euthanasia are we. Also, you may not have noticed it but I said "most" people on here are arrogant pricks, and so no I will not get off the forums because some people on here actually have manners and can discuss with not talk at you.

Also, in your completely unbiased opinion, was that person not plain rude in saying: "Yeah "I went on a self-serving holiday" is a real winner on a CV."

There was absolutely no need for it and was just plain cheek.

A better, more mature - the word that you like - response would be, "Could this not perhaps be perceived as a 'holiday' rather than volunteer work?". To which I would have then put forward my case into why this would not be considered a 'holiday'.
    I don't care whether you need support or not, I was just pointing out that you lose your own argument if you start using disgusting insults as you lose the support of people who saw what you were saying as correct. Also, you lost possible advice.

No, it was not all that rude and it was sarcasm, it wasn't just "plain cheek", now, I could point out various things that are "plain cheek".

And if you want to remain on the forums, stop going round telling yourself that everyone's arrogant.

I'm not even sure why you're getting so fired up about such a situation. I also hope that, if you have such attitudes towards disabilities, you never do other volunteering placements or even get a job with people. There's only so far your shining CV can take you before it comes down to attitudes and personality, they'd see right through you if you showed how little you actually care about humanity to treat a population of it with disregard and disrespect.

ReputationRep:
    I want to apply!

ReputationRep:
    Oh **** off already, you all talk so much ****, and **** downsyndromes as well I hope they all ******* die those disabled cuunts.
    No I won't go away.

Also, good luck with the future, your prejudices will get you far.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jessaay!)
    I was on your side until you said what I highlighted. Grow up.
    I completely agree, a line was definatly crossed!
    OP you claim you want to help people in Maldives and yet you throw terms like that about? I volunteer with many children with disabilities and find comments like that extremely offensive.
    I was also 'on your side' until that point.
    On a brighter note Maldives looks good, might actually apply.

ReputationRep:
    Haha, I love downsyndromes' faces, with their tongues out haha, ******* hilarious, those retards, they should be shot.
    Aww, diddums. Throwing your toys out your pram?

ReputationRep:
    too blue

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

This thread caught my attention and as I've volunteered with Mission Maldives before I thought I'd come and give my perspective.

Firstly, I absolutely loved my placement, it was amazing. I've volunteered with a couple of companies before and have had experience with good and 'poor' volunteer companies in the past. Mission Maldives was so good I'm planning to go back out and spend this summer with them again, I can't recommend them enough. From the first moment I booked my place to touching down back in England they were professional, friendly and genuinely caring. Just by talking to the staff who run MM the passion they have for their country and their projects is undeniable.

For those that are saying to give the money directly to the communities, it's not just money that these communities need! Besides, if we're honest here, it's not really logistical to go sending money to communities you've never visited, had no contact with, know nothing of and don't even know how to get money to.

I'm very sad to hear people saying that the Maldives doesn't benefit from young, western volunteers. It's not skilled labour that they need it's enthusiastic, hard working, FREE workers. I'm sure you know that the Maldives has had a huge political journey very recently in undergoing the transition into a democracy. Before that change, and before Mission Maldives was formed amongst the new freedom, most of the local people had never even heard of the concept of western volunteers wanting to work for free! So many of them couldn't believe that westerners (seen as quite rich and affluent) would work for free. Believe it or not, they even love having the youthful, malleable 18 year old's as well! Since they started, so many local companies and islands have actively sought out MM and asked for volunteers to come and help. They definitely do appreciate our presence and we definitely do have something to offer. I'm very sorry GodspeedGehenna but you really do have the wrong idea about the local's view on the whole situation.

If anybody has any further questions about the time I spent in the Maldives and the company MM, feel free to contact me!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.