Solo cards Watch

This discussion is closed.
Mata
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
The WHSmith where I live accepts it... Topshop however doesn't. Yet the Topshop in Oxford street does.

It depends, methinks, on whether your shop is geared up to take solo or not. Most places seem to take it where I live, thank god. We have a very high under-18 population so they seem to have made an effort.
Talya
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Lauren)
did you know that even tho a switch is a student card, they won't give you one unless you're 18, even if you're a student? idiots.
When people say 'student' they generally mean UNIVERSITY student. Not secondary school or college.
aleathiel
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
ive still got a solo card and im 19.. how do i get a switch? and whats the difference anyway?
The_Spod
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by aleathiel)
ive still got a solo card and im 19.. how do i get a switch? and whats the difference anyway?
Right firstly to get a switch card you need to have a regular income coming into your bank account.

The difference between switch and solo, is that switch is a cheque gaurentee card as well as a debit card, and will be accepted almost anywhere.

When it comes to a VISA Credit Card, most credit card companies will not accept you unless you have a income coming in this does not have to be big! A sunday job is good enough for them.

A number of people think you have to be 18 to have a Credit Card, well this is just not the case, if you have parents who trust you lot's! Then under 18's can become an additional card holder, and the main account holder is liable for any spending on the account.
the sand man
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
solo is not used on the web u cant sorry for me giving u bad news
sparklyglitter
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I've used Solo online for many things....

I find a Solo card is accepted pretty much everywhere,however it's weird that some branches of shops accept it whereas another branch in the same town doesn't-weiird.
Mad Vlad
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
*Cough* It's Maestro now Not Switch... the penguins got married remember! :cool:
aleathiel
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Mad Vlad)
*Cough* It's Maestro now Not Switch... the penguins got married remember! :cool:
ooh yeah i remember lol.. cute
Sync
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Mad Vlad)
Never!!!

It'll be Switch for ever in my eyes. Just like Starburst will be Opal Fruits and Choco Crispies will be Coco Pops (well, they changed their name back after everyone complianed, so that's Ok....I guess).
SinghFello
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
The Solo and Electron card are reserved for the poor, under 18s, and lazy.

Ask your bank to give you a proper card.
JHutcher
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by the_sand_man)

i've used my solo on the net
Talya
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by the_sand_man)
You are talking out of your rear end, I'm afraid :p:
Brubaskia
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
its switch mastero now actually , besides isnt it the same thing? And as long as you have switch oo mastero it will be accepted. My card is solo. But it aslo has the mastero and cirrus sign on the back. so if places dont take solo, they might still take the card cos of mastero.

"solo is not used on the web u cant sorry for me giving u bad news"
You can use solo on the web for some things. I'ver bought dvds of the internet using solo.
Juno
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
With Solo cards you don't get an overdraft, and they don't allow to to become overdrawn so the shop has to check whether you have enough money to honour the payment. If shops can't do this they won't accept the card!
drawmeamonkey
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by The_Spod)
Right firstly to get a switch card you need to have a regular income coming into your bank account.
don't think thats true. i've got one on an account i don't even use! think you've just got to be over 18 and been using your account reasonably

plus getting a visa debit/switch, doesn't necessarily mean you'll have an overdraft. it probably means your account CAN go overdrawn, but with a lovely big charge for you!

I used to work for a bank. They're evil! Take them for every penny you can, and make sure they take nothing from you!
Juno
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
If you're under 18, you can't go overdrawn. If the bank let you then you don't have to pay it back. Since you usually only get Solo under 18 this means you can't go overdrawn.
Jenhallmark17
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Juno)
With Solo cards you don't get an overdraft,
Ive got a overdraft on my solo card plus ive still got my solo card and im 20.
Mad Vlad
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Brubaskia)
its switch mastero now actually , besides isnt it the same thing? And as long as you have switch oo mastero it will be accepted. My card is solo. But it aslo has the mastero and cirrus sign on the back. so if places dont take solo, they might still take the card cos of mastero.

"solo is not used on the web u cant sorry for me giving u bad news"
You can use solo on the web for some things. I'ver bought dvds of the internet using solo.
But... the penguin doesn't have a double barrelled name!
natcho
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Solo card holders, which banks do you have your account with?

I was under the impression that only HBOS used Solo, and that it was gradually being replaced with Electron?
Mad Vlad
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
NatWest.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (109)
19.82%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (223)
40.55%
Nope, not that interesting (218)
39.64%

Watched Threads