Turn on thread page Beta

Going abroad for the first time watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of going abroad for a holiday between the third and fourth years of my course. I'll be the first person in my family to go abroad, so i'm not sure what's involved. Not sure where I want to go yet either. Since it's my first time abroad i'd like to go somewhere English speaking. I'm quite interested in visiting one of the larger American cities.

Any tips on the best way to arrange this (e.g. travel, accommodation)? What else needs to be done (e.g. getting a passport, money)?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cgh123)
    I'm thinking of going abroad for a holiday between the third and fourth years of my course. I'll be the first person in my family to go abroad, so i'm not sure what's involved. Not sure where I want to go yet either. Since it's my first time abroad i'd like to go somewhere English speaking. I'm quite interested in visiting one of the larger American cities.

Any tips on the best way to arrange this (e.g. travel, accommodation)? What else needs to be done (e.g. getting a passport, money)?

Thanks
    To Do List: (Alicia's Recommendation)

Passport * have a passport travel kit and look up UK consulates in the US
    Make 3 copies of passport, bank cards, IDs (1 for you, (1) parent/guardian, and (1) trusted friend) in the event that your passport is lost or stolen
    Understand dialing options/whether your cell phone will work in the US/pre-paid phones in the US/international calling cards
    Emergency numbers to call in the US (i.e. dial 911 for emergency)
    Buy US travel guides/maps in the UK before arrival (major recommendation)
    Research travel deals on visiting multiple US cities * If you have an itinerary of expected cities/activites, leave a copy with parent/guardian/trusted friend in case of serious emergency
    Check out this link: http://www.travelzoo.com/
    Look of weather conditions for US cities of interest since winter in Phoenix is different from winter in Boston
    Estimate cost of flight and taxi/shuttle bus from airport
    TSA locks on luggage
    Look up transportation options - train, subway, bus, taxi
    Once you decide on destination(s), organize accomodation (hotels/hostels/bed in breakfast) *if you're travelling alone or with a small group, make sure hotel/hostel/BnB staff know about your whereabouts or ask them for city suggestions
    Entertainment (clubs, concerts, plays)

This is all I can think of at the moment so if you have any more questions - just ask. I hope this helps and enjoy your time in the US.

ReputationRep:
    Along with passport, think visas. I know a lot of people forget the new(ish) rule of ESTA for the US. Although my boyfriend just got on a plane yesterday without one, but better to have one just in case!

ReputationRep:
    Are you serious? There are foreigners abroad!

ReputationRep:
    Some good points to consider there - thanks AliciaJ703 and Zebrastripes.

ReputationRep:
    You might want to consider European countries as well. Less of a hassle, as you don't need visas, you're close to home if you get in trouble, you can use local healthcare within the EU. You can get by with English anywhere in Europe.

However, if you do go to the US please do take travel insurance. If your luggage is lost, you miss a flight, or you get medical problems - you will be in big trouble without insurance over there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zebrastripes)
    Along with passport, think visas. I know a lot of people forget the new(ish) rule of ESTA for the US. Although my boyfriend just got on a plane yesterday without one, but better to have one just in case!
    Lucky guy... US department of state has shifted to enforcement as of the end of January 2010.. although if he had filled one out within the last 2 years it would have still been valid!

ReputationRep:

Thanks
    I know you're keen on going to America, but I thought I'd just throw this out there. Have you considered going to Thailand? A lot of people speak English there, the culture is more different to Britain than America is but is still very accessible (and is amazing), it's really easy to get around by bus/coach and train (and ferry in the islands), it's much cheaper than America, and you don't need a visa.

ReputationRep:
    Some good points to consider there - thanks AliciaJ703 and Zebrastripes.
    Visitor Visa: http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1265.html

ReputationRep:
    Passport is finally sorted now

I think I've decided on a trip to New York. It seems that I'll be going alone though. I'm probably going to arrange everything via a travel agent this time round - any recommendations?

I've had Contiki tours suggested but I'm not sure if they're right for me...

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking at Thomas Cook and STA Travel at the moment. Any reviews/opinions on these?

I'm going to go for either ~1 week in New York or one of the AMtrack tours (~1 week spread between 2-3 cities). What sort of budget should I be looking at?

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.