Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blu3j4yw4y)
    Ahhh, really? That shoots my argument dead, haha. :rolleyes:

For your GCSEs, how were your lessons timetabled? Someone's explained this already I think, but I'm still failing to get it. With standard grade, each SG has its own class, usually with three periods per week. Is it the same for GCSE? Did you have 39 periods in a week? :eek3: Surely not...did certain classes give you more than one GCSE?

GCSEs are so confusing for me. They seem absurdly flexible. My main problem is how schools can cope with some students taking seven or eight, and others taking fourteen. I didn't think you had free periods at that age, but I'm struggling to see how it could be implemented otherwise.

Were all your GCSes of about equal difficulty?

----

On the coursework thing, I'm beginning to see differences I hadn't realised between SGs and Int 2s. There's no such thing as Int 2 English, French, or Science coursework.

P.E. had a external performance mark and Computing had coursework. But both were below fifty percent (40% and 30% respectively if I remember correctly) so you could still get full marks in them and fail the course.

I do believe Art had coursework as well, but that's to be expected :p:
    We had 7 periods each day, 40 for mins each period... so that makes 35 periods a week. I can't remember exactly how the subjects were timetabled, but the only reason I would have gotten so many GCSE's was because I was in the topd set so I sat my English Language and biology in year 9 (Scotland equivalant of 'S2') and was due to sit my Maths exam in the middle of year 10 ('S3'), then during year 10 and 11 ('S3' and 'S4' the usual standard grade/GCSE period) I was studying History, Geog, P.E, Physics, Chemistry, Ethics, ICT, Graphics, and English Literature. In total i would have ended up with 12 GCSE's (i probably wouldnt have worked that hard tho, cause the school + my attitude towards educatin was terrible before i moved up to Scotland.)
    The periods were hectic, you'd arrive, and it'd take about 10 minutes for the class to actually settle down, so you'd end with around 30 mins of actual teaching time - tbh I didnt learn much.

As for consistency of difficulty of the subjects... I would say they are all about the same, obv some people will find other subjects easier than others.

and one thing i find strange - in scotland you do "English", but in england you do "English Lit" and "English Language" :confused: which kinda gives you an extra GCSE lol.

Anyway, my school was one of the worst schools in the region so I wouldnt be surprised if other schools could produce pupils with like 14 GCSE's... plus there's weird schemes like "triple award sciences" that I dont quite understand... (as you can probably tell i didnt really listen back in the day :rolleyes: )

ReputationRep:
    I did 13.5 GCSE's and had 5 lessons a day each of one hour. Two lessons a week for each subject/GCSE roughly, 1 for short course 2 lessons for full course

ETA: Triple award science is a bit weird, you do all three sciences (like I did) or Double Award where you do two, say chem and bio, but you still have to do core physics anyway, so its best to do triple IMO really. That was my understanding of it with AQA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eyes)
    I'm not sure about Standard Grades but even Intermediates have some sort of coursework - although NABs don't count towards your final grade you have to sit three for each subject and pass them in order to gain the award at the end.
    Well, true, I just meant that the coursework doesn't impact upon your grade for the majority of subjects :p:

Random side note - Do people agree NABs are the worst thing ever invented? They are far too easy to present any challenge, your mark is totally irrelevent, there is no pride in passing them, yet you still have to do 27 of them. (or 15 at higher) They really serve no purpose other than to randomly fail people. :mad: My friend is very clever but failed her French NAB because she missed the notification about when they were sitting it and didn't revise. Now she could potentially fail the course if she's unlucky on the resit, just because the SQA insist that teachers give out these shoddily planned, useless tests. (/rant)

ReputationRep:
    I seriously don't understand how people can do more than 10 GCSE's because even if you're a year advanced i.e finished your maths gcse at the end of year 10, you'd only have 1 year and you wouldn't be able to complete another GCSE in that time. For the people in my school who do their maths a year early they start an A-level course in maths. The only other way I can see of having extra GCSE's is if you're already fluent in another language so you don't need lessons and can just take the exam like my friends have done.
    At the momment I have 5 periods a day (1 hour long) and over the course of a fortnight have 6 lessons for each subject except science were I have 9 (3 for each) I also have 1 lesson a week for R.E shortcourse and PSE and also 1 lesson a week for compulsory P.E. With all of these subjects I don't understand how you could timetable 14 GCSE's unless it was something like Dida or Btech buisness??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eyes)
    Let me think... Art and Design, Graphic Communication, Physics (LO3) require coursework and I'm sure they are others...

And yeah agree with you there, NABs are pointless and take up potential teaching time. :rolleyes:
    Art and Graphics I can believe, but we definitely didn't have any Physics coursework! Sure you mean Intermediate 2 and not SG?

I seriously don't know what the SQA were thinking of :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eyes)
    And yeah agree with you there, NABs are pointless and take up potential teaching time. :rolleyes:
    Yeah i totally agree with that, its hard enough fitting in the course (highers in particular) without putting in time-consuming tests. Maybe if they were more difficult it'd be a worthwhile assessment, but they are set around C level. Although harder assessments increase stress which is already in abundance!:cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eyes)
    I don't understand how someone can have 13.5 GCSEs.
    Short course subjects are worth half a GCSE e.g. Short Course RS or Short Course Welsh which is why some people say they have half a GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eyes)
    I don't understand how someone can have 13.5 GCSEs.
    Quite easily

Maths
    Additional Maths
    English Lang
    English Lit
    Business Studies
    French
    Chemistry
    Biology
    Physics
    Music
    ICT Double Award
    Short Course History
    Short Course Religious Studies
    Short Course Citizenship

= 13.5 GCSE's

ETA: For those saying don't know how it would get timetabled, it is manageable, if need be I can say what my timetable was, I think my school averages at least 12 GCSE's. I got 2A*'s, 10A's and 1.5B's, most people get A's and B's in them so it is possible to timetable it well otherwise we wouldn't do well?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eyes)
    Do Standard Grades get NABs?
    Nopee, although if you did the questions would be foundation level :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gordon_pk)

and one thing i find strange - in scotland you do "English", but in england you do "English Lit" and "English Language" :confused: which kinda gives you an extra GCSE lol.
    What were your exams like?

For Language we had to do exams with creative writing, discursive, argumentative etc, exam was about 2 hours or so in year 11. Coursework was two pieces of writing. Forget what the other exam was and how long for.

For Lit We had to do coursework on a book (Tess of the d'Urbervilles), then an exam on a play (Death of a Salesman), and another exam on poetry. I can tell you we really did put lots of work in for those four exams, I think they are worth two GCSE's compared to how easy BTech's and things like my double ICT were :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matthew93)
    Nopee, although if you did the questions would be foundation level :rolleyes:
    Not even foundation. In fact, it'd be Level B type work.

Standard Grade :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eyes)
    Did you pick Physics? I only did Intermediates, so yeah I was referring to Intermediate 2 - it was an experiment LO3 which you had to carry out and write out a mini report for, it was easy though.

Do Standard Grades get NABs?
    Yeah, I did. Now I'm unbelievably confused. I do remember doing experiments and writeups, but I'm totally certain there was nothing that had any effect on your mark.

Did this thing have an effect on your overall grade? If it didn't I can believe we did it at some point and I've forgotten, but if it did there's something wrong here.

We certainly were never made aware that our mark was made up of anything other than the final exam, so this is quite worrying if some random experiemnt was part of our grade and we weren't even told about it.

Not that it matters much now, of course. But it would make me a lot more sceptical about what they tell me in future

-----

English GCSE - did you have seperate classes for English Lit and English Language?

In Intermediate 2 we had two exams. One was an hour and a half in which you had to write two essays on texts of your choice (or rather, your school's choice really). The second was an hour and you basically got a passage and had to answer questions on the passage, techniques used etc...

Int 2 exam is basically Higher but easier.

I took a look at SG English exam and it looks way different. I suppose someone who's sat it could explain it better because I only looked briefly.

----

40 minute periods? That's really short. Our school changed from 55 mins to 50 and we thought that was quite a difference!

I suppose you wouldn't watch the clock as much, but still it must be difficult to get work done in that time :eek:

----

I wonder if our Maths and English SGs/Int 2s could count as two GCSEs. Our school devoted five periods a week to them instead of the three that other subjects got, are other schools the same? I wonder if that is what makes up part of the difference, because we don't have anything like "Additional Maths."

Mind you, Int 2 maths (and guessing Credit maths too?) is so easy it seems like taking the extreme mick to call it two qualifications.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I did. Now I'm unbelievably confused. I do remember doing experiments and writeups, but I'm totally certain there was nothing that had any effect on your mark.

Did this thing have an effect on your overall grade? If it didn't I can believe we did it at some point and I've forgotten, but if it did there's something wrong here.

We certainly were never made aware that our mark was made up of anything other than the final exam, so this is quite worrying if some random experiemnt was part of our grade and we weren't even told about it.

Not that it matters much now, of course. But it would make me a lot more sceptical about what they tell me in future
    Yup, they're worth 20% of the overall grade if I remember rightly. Fortunatley they were a cakewalk. :p:

Edit: duh, ignore me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LuhLah)
    Not even foundation. In fact, it'd be Level B type work.

Standard Grade :facepalm:
    I miss the good old 5-14 regime of levels A-F !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by namedeprived)
    Yup, they're worth 20% of the overall grade if I remember rightly. Fortunatley they were a cakewalk. :p:

Edit: duh, ignore me.
    Wow, really?

I've genuinely learned something new today. I'll have to ask my physics buddy if she remembers anything like this on Wednesday.

Unless the edit is saying that this isn't true? :p:

(Original post by matthew93)
    I miss the good old 5-14 regime of levels A-F !
    I miss not having to remember anything you learnt for more than two-three days :rolleyes: Good times, good times.

Edit: spelling

ReputationRep:

I miss not having to remember anything you learnt for more than two-three days :rolleyes: Good times, good times.
    hahaa things were much simpler back then :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eyes)
    That was a bit of silly system too. On my school report it would say Maths - F and my parents thought I'd failed.
    Haha, I remember this!

When I told my extended family proudly that I was "Working at level F" I'm sure I remember a few awkward looks and fake smiles. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I'm having to do 11 1/2;

English (Core)
    English Lit. (Core)
    Maths (Core)
    ICT 1st GCSE (Core)
    ICT 2nd GCSE (Core)
    RE Half GCSE (Core)
    Business Studies
    Geography
    Spanish
    Biology
    Chemistry
    Physics

ReputationRep:
    Wow, really?

I've genuinely learned something new today. I'll have to ask my physics buddy if she remembers anything like this on Wednesday.

Unless the edit is saying that this isn't true? :p:

Edit: spelling
    Yea the edit is saying it isn't true, I was talking about SG and not Int 2, sorry. :o:

ReputationRep:
    That was a bit of silly system too. On my school report it would say Maths - F and my parents thought I'd failed.
    Haha the academic system in general from 5-18 is just a shambles. And they are introducing this curriculum for excellence thing in a few years time. Bye bye Highers and Standard Grades.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Applying to university
Uni match

Find your perfect match

Our tool will help you find the perfect uni course for you

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.