Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blu3j4yw4y)
    Well, true, I just meant that the coursework doesn't impact upon your grade for the majority of subjects :p:

Random side note - Do people agree NABs are the worst thing ever invented? They are far too easy to present any challenge, your mark is totally irrelevent, there is no pride in passing them, yet you still have to do 27 of them. (or 15 at higher) They really serve no purpose other than to randomly fail people. :mad: My friend is very clever but failed her French NAB because she missed the notification about when they were sitting it and didn't revise. Now she could potentially fail the course if she's unlucky on the resit, just because the SQA insist that teachers give out these shoddily planned, useless tests. (/rant)
    Of my eight subjects for Standard Grade, 6 require coursework which affect your final grade. (Graphics, English, Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Craft & Design)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eyes)
    I think they should use Intermediates instead of Standard Grade. I looked at the new system and the Cirriculum for 'Excellence' and it is AWFUL. I'm thankful to be out of here before it comes into force.
    I've spoke to 2 of my teachers about it and they completely agree. I think its the first years at the moment that it takes effect on. What does this system consist of?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eyes)
    I think in general GCSEs are more flexible which probably allows people to sit more exams than we can.

I'm not sure about Standard Grades but even Intermediates have some sort of coursework - although NABs don't count towards your final grade you have to sit three for each subject and pass them in order to gain the award at the end.

I don't understand how someone can have 13.5 GCSEs.

Could you explain to me what the difference is between the two? Is 'English Lit' more like Critical Essay stuff and 'English Language' similar to close reading? :confused:

English Language is like creative writing, discussion, close reading. English Literature is looking at pieces of work (novels, poetry, etc) and analysing them... so yeh, basically critical essays

ReputationRep:
    I didn't realise people did so few... I did 13.5 and I'm no outlier.

I do go to a Welsh school, mind. I had to do Welsh lang, Welsh lit, Eng lang, Eng lit, Phys, Chem, Biol, Maths, R.E (full course), IT (had to do a short course because I took triple science), I chose French, German and History, and I did a Spanish GCSE alongisde my AS Levels last year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinsley)
    What were your exams like?

For Language we had to do exams with creative writing, discursive, argumentative etc, exam was about 2 hours or so in year 11. Coursework was two pieces of writing. Forget what the other exam was and how long for.

For Lit We had to do coursework on a book (Tess of the d'Urbervilles), then an exam on a play (Death of a Salesman), and another exam on poetry. I can tell you we really did put lots of work in for those four exams, I think they are worth two GCSE's compared to how easy BTech's and things like my double ICT were :yep:
    The SG English Exam is split into two sections: Reading and Writing

Writing is hour and 15 mins long, and theres a list of about 20 questions to choose from (they vary from reflective, short story, discursive) and you do one of the questions.

Reading is 50 minutes long, and you have to read a passage and answer questions about it

And before the exam, we have to build up a folio of work (work on novels/poetry/play, creative writing, discursive essay, etc) which goes towards the final grade, and we get assessments on speaking and listening, but its called "talk" at SG :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quintro)
    Of my eight subjects for Standard Grade, 6 require coursework which affect your final grade. (Graphics, English, Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Craft & Design)
    I was referring to Intermediate 2s :p:

(Original post by namedeprived)
    Yea the edit is saying it isn't true, I was talking about SG and not Int 2, sorry. :o:
    (Original post by Eyes)
    Sorry to have caused any confusion. The LO3 was very brief so you may not remember it. It doesn't actually count towards your final grade, I was just trying to back up my argument. :shh:
    Ah, okay. Stuff makes sense now.

(Original post by Eyes)
    I looked at a SG paper too out of interest and I feel confident in saying that Int 2 is far superior in terms of preparation for Higher as it practically mirrors the course.
    I agree :yep: I don't know how challenging SG is, but it looks like it goes in a completely different direction from Higher.

As far as I'm aware its the same for the majority of subjects. I had a friend who did SGs in everything but Geography (where she did Int 2) and she said Geography was by far the easiest of her subjects to take to higher.

Those who do GCSEs...do you get the impression people who do say seven or eight GCSEs are disadvantaged in comparison to those who do fourteen? That's something I've always wondered about, because in Scotland people do roughly the same number but in England you could have kids of equal capability potentially doing double as many. Would having seven or fourteen straight A*s make significant difference?

What is the new system? I've heard about it, and I've heard about a Cirriculum for Excellence (although not much beyond that its something to do with responsible citizens or something) but I don't know what it involves. I expect it involves our S1s if it involves everyone else's but I wasn't aware it was being put in place already.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE]
    Scotland to create 'schools for ignorance'

Hahaha thats what my maths teacher called it - 'curriculum for ignorance' :p:

ReputationRep:
    Just had a little read on the CfE website.

The whole thing about getting kids to spend more time on computers is ridiculous (with the possible exceptions of, obviously, subjects like computing and graphics :p: )

Surely everyone knows that any period involving the computer room is seen largely as a skive? What generally happens is you spend an hour looking up something that takes thirty seconds, then spend the rest of your time spinning on your chair wondering if you're actually meant to be doing anything else. Using a computer to learn about anything essentially involves knowing how to use google and probably installs the wrong attitude in kids: that they don't have to bother researching anything, because wikipedia has all the answers they could ever want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eyes)
    Yeah, I think it's being used for the S1 in my school and apparently it's chaos (according to my teacher). All my teachers seem really against it. I read about it in the paper a while ago so I don't remember it that well. I'll see it I can find the article.

So, in your opinion which system do you prefer?
    I'm a bit lazy, so I prefer the Scottish system cause you get both Lang and Lit over in one go and its a lot less time consuming

However, I do see the benefits of doing Lang and Lit separately as it'd give a deeper insight into them both.
    But yeh, the Scottish system just seems easier and more straightforward :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gordon_pk)
    The SG English Exam is split into two sections: Reading and Writing

Writing is hour and 15 mins long, and theres a list of about 20 questions to choose from (they vary from reflective, short story, discursive) and you do one of the questions.

Reading is 50 minutes long, and you have to read a passage and answer questions about it

And before the exam, we have to build up a folio of work (work on novels/poetry/play, creative writing, discursive essay, etc) which goes towards the final grade, and we get assessments on speaking and listening, but its called "talk" at SG :confused:
    Oh we did speaking and listening and things too, even drama I really hated that part of English, definitely not my favourite subject at all. My memory is awful, I forget half of what we had to do now! We had two exams for lit, two for lang, coursework and speaking/listening for lang and 2 x pieces of coursework for lit, the other was on Othello, I remember now Its because we did all the coursework in year 10, my memory can't remember more than 2 years ago by the look of it, lol!

I'm so glad I don't have to do english anymore, it was probably the subject I found most difficult

I know we read over and analysed 60 poems, read Othello, Tess of the d'Urbervilles, Death of a Salesman, George Orwell's 1984 and one other book. We did exam practice (like an essay) once a week from christmas right up until May. I am so thankful those days are behind me..!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinsley)
    Oh we did speaking and listening and things too, even drama I really hated that part of English, definitely not my favourite subject at all. My memory is awful, I forget half of what we had to do now! We had two exams for lit, two for lang, coursework and speaking/listening for lang and 2 x pieces of coursework for lit, the other was on Othello, I remember now Its because we did all the coursework in year 10, my memory can't remember more than 2 years ago by the look of it, lol!

I'm so glad I don't have to do english anymore, it was probably the subject I found most difficult

I know we read over and analysed 60 poems, read Othello, Tess of the d'Urbervilles, Death of a Salesman, George Orwell's 1984 and one other book. We did exam practice (like an essay) once a week from christmas right up until May. I am so thankful those days are behind me..!
    :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3:

We did about five in Int 2. Only two of them for the exam as well :p:

We're doing Othello right now, I quite like it. Well more than Gatsby xP

And yeah, English is compulsory up to S5 in my school as well. I'm kinda glad though, because I think it is quite useful, especially if you didn't take any other essay based subject. No matter what you do at uni there'll probably be some kind of essay work in it, so its good to learn how to write them in more depth.

Even if it is a massive pain. I just spent all day revising for my English prelim tomorrow. :rolleyes: Definitely my least favourite subject. (Again, kind of why I'm glad its not optional - if it was I would have almost certainly chosen something else, so its probably good for me that I've been forced into doing it :p: )

ReputationRep:
    Im not sure about what everyone was saying about what the ICT one was to get 4 GCSE's but I dont think it was whatever you said. Im not too sure though.

For mine to be timetabled I had 5 days with 5 lessons on each. I think that I had 2 lessons for geography, history, german, french, music and drama. For maths I had 3, for english I had 3 (this was english lit and english lang) and then for science I had one for biology, 1 for physics and 1 for chemistry and one other which changed on a rota to one of the sciences. I also had to do one lesson of pe which was compulsory and 2 for extension but I didnt get GCSE's in either of them.

Put them all together and I managed to get 13. I didnt think it was too hard and as someone else said I am quite shocked that people did less. I didnt realise that this was the case elsewhere

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tabers)
    Im not sure about what everyone was saying about what the ICT one was to get 4 GCSE's but I dont think it was whatever you said. Im not too sure though.

For mine to be timetabled I had 5 days with 5 lessons on each. I think that I had 2 lessons for geography, history, german, french, music and drama. For maths I had 3, for english I had 3 (this was english lit and english lang) and then for science I had one for biology, 1 for physics and 1 for chemistry and one other which changed on a rota to one of the sciences. I also had to do one lesson of pe which was compulsory and 2 for extension but I didnt get GCSE's in either of them.

Put them all together and I managed to get 13. I didnt think it was too hard and as someone else said I am quite shocked that people did less. I didnt realise that this was the case elsewhere
    Woah! I'm surprised you could fit so much into so little timetabling space!

Our timetable has 33 periods. Seven periods on Monday Tuesday Thursday and six on Wednesday and Friday.

Last year everyone had five periods of maths, four of english, four of P.E and three of french. You then had fifteen periods for your other five subjects, three periods each. Plus one for S.E. and one for R.M.P.S.

So you had three periods for all your English? That probably means your two English GCSEs are equal to our one then?

You definitely couldn't do those choices in our school, and I doubt if you could in any Scottish school. History + Geography, Music + Drama, French + German, and all three sciences are unusual combinations as they're usually in the same collumns. You could still do one or two of these combos, but you'd probably have to give up something else to do so. Two of my friends did this, one took music and drama, the other took two ICT subjects (admin and computing). Because of this, neither could timetable in a science.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blu3j4yw4y)
    You definitely couldn't do those choices in our school, and I doubt if you could in any Scottish school. History + Geography, Music + Drama, French + German, and all three sciences are unusual combinations as they're usually in the same collumns. You could still do one or two of these combos, but you'd probably have to give up something else to do so. Two of my friends did this, one took music and drama, the other took two ICT subjects (admin and computing). Because of this, neither could timetable in a science.
    We had to do all of the sciences, we had no choice. It was just the top few classes that did all 3 and the others did a core and an aditional science which is all 3 sciences tied into 1.

At our school we had 3 blocks on top of the essentials (english lit and lang, maths and the sciences) where we had to pick 2 subjects from each. The first one was made up of humanities so things like RE, Geography and History. The second was languages and classics. The last one was more arty subjects so Music, Drama, Art and Design etc. ICT was in all 3 but you had to choose it out of 2 of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tabers)
    We had to do all of the sciences, we had no choice. It was just the top few classes that did all 3 and the others did a core and an aditional science which is all 3 sciences tied into 1.

At our school we had 3 blocks on top of the essentials (english lit and lang, maths and the sciences) where we had to pick 2 subjects from each. The first one was made up of humanities so things like RE, Geography and History. The second was languages and classics. The last one was more arty subjects so Music, Drama, Art and Design etc. ICT was in all 3 but you had to choose it out of 2 of them.
    Yea school restrict what you can do for you subjects quite a bit in IMO. I picked 3 Sciences when I didnt have to, but mainly because of the columns the subjects were in.. it was either 3 sciences, or a couple of subjects I have no interest in.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.