Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Estimate how much higher the water level is on the French coast than on the English coast when there is an eastward flow through the English Channel at a typical speed of 1m/s. You may assume that the English Channel is approximately 30km wide.

An earlier part of this question got me to derive the equation for when there is geostrophic balance:

2\Omega \times \textbf{u}_{R} = -\frac{1}{\rho} \nabla p

I think I probably have to use the above equation, or the Rossby number, as I am given enough parameters to calculate it. I can calculate the left hand side of the above equation as I am given the magnitude and direction of the flow everywhere, and I can calculate the angular rate of rotation of the Earth from its 24 hour period. I can look up the density of sea water I guess. But then I don't know how to use grad(p) to give me a difference in sea level. I thought maybe something to do with hydrostatic equilibirum, but basically I'm really confused.

Any help would be very much appreciated!

EDIT: Meh, I don't think I did it right.

Basically what I was thinking was that you could look at the components of the pressure gradient and manipulate the \partial x / \partial y / \partial z on the denominator (depending on what sort of vector direction your LHS gives) but I don't really know if you have values for pressure, and if you did, then it'd probably be a lot easier.

Let me know if you managed to do the question cause fluids are interesting!
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.