Turn on thread page Beta

Silly girlfriend gave boyfriend wrong tablets watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revd. Mike)
    Not true. Three prednisone (PoM) tablets is a lot less likely to cause harm than say, three naproxens (OTC NSAID).
    That is just one example....

Are you telling me there is no prescribe-only drugs that are no more harmful than OTC ones?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JakeM)
    That is just one example....

Are you telling me there is no prescribe-only drugs that are no more harmful than OTC ones?
    That's not what I said at all. I said you can't assume that just because a drug is PoM that it is intrinsically more harmful than an OTC drug.

ReputationRep:
    That's not what I said at all. I said you can't assume that just because a drug is PoM that it is intrinsically more harmful than an OTC drug.

But we need to be realistic..

Going to a chemist and buying some bladder infection tablets is unlikely to cause any life threatening damage unless it completely f**ks up your bowels.

ReputationRep:
    well the silly boyfriend should have bloody well got the paracetamol himself.

/ thread.

ReputationRep:
    Drink lots of water...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JakeM)
    But we need to be realistic..

Going to a chemist and buying some bladder infection tablets is unlikely to cause any life threatening damage unless it completely f**ks up your bowels.
    Not wishing to labour the point, you'd be surprised. There's a good chance circumstances dependent that an OTC medication can be far more harmful than a prescription one. Drugs are restricted to POM status based solely on how damaging they are. You can't generalize advice based on that.

ReputationRep:
    It's cool, he's alive.

/thread

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vilage_idoit)
    It's cool, he's alive.

/thread
    3 hours later? he could still die yet!

Some of the advice in this thread is plain stupid. He will be fine.

I think you should seek some medical attention rather than posting on a forum where very little of the advise is professional on the odd occasion that qualified doctors are online.

I'm assuming it was something like 200mg tabs of Trimethorprim. And seeing as most brands look quite different from most brands of paracetamol, thats rather an unfortuanate mistake.

I hope to god that in the last 3 hours you've seen someone about this.

Not wishing to labour the point, you'd be surprised. There's a good chance circumstances dependent that an OTC medication can be far more harmful than a prescription one. Drugs are restricted to POM status based solely on how damaging they are. You can't generalize advice based on that.
    I personally think that paracetamol should be either POM, or discontinue 32 pack sizes as even these can be fatal!. It is so ******* dangerous and as it now one of the most used medications people really do forget how dangerous the effect of an overdose really can be. But of course this is only my opinion.

I do agree with your post though as well.

ReputationRep:
    dump her

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loz17)
    I personally think that paracetamol should be either POM, or discontinue 32 pack sizes as even these can be fatal!. It is so ******* dangerous and as it now one of the most used medications people really do forget how dangerous the effect of an overdose really can be. But of course this is only my opinion.

I do agree with your post though as well.
    Thanks I do agree though that people seem to be rather blasé about paracetamol. It seems to be such a ubiquitous drug that people knock them back without concern for he safety limits.

ReputationRep:
    How stupid is she? You're only meant to take 2 paracetamol. If she can't even count correctly you probably deserve it for trusting her to dispense pills.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 15, 2010
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.