Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello

I'm in a pickle with my laptop, it was an Acer and basically just fell to bits.

Now, I'm on the hunt for a new lappy for uni...

What would you recommend? I'm going to be in a very, very tight budget (ie £0-£350) so that cuts out a lot of options Are there any laptops which are discounted for students etc?

I don't want another dell or acer!!!
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    (Original post by LuhLah)
    I'm in a pickle with my laptop, it was an Acer and basically just fell to bits.
    Well there's your problem.

Maybe look at Toshiba or HP laptops, but I doubt you'll get much for that kind of money. Tesco may be worth a look as they sometimes have some good deals, but again, for £350, don't complain if it falls apart in a year or two.

ReputationRep:
    I have an HP G61 which is fairly cheap from currys and an ok laptop.

ReputationRep:
    look at the laptop buying guide on the wiki

ReputationRep:
    HP yes Toshiba hell to the nizzle, you thought about an 11.6 inch netbook big enough for essays small enough to carry and fairly cheap.

ReputationRep:
    Where's SpikeyMike's topic gone? That had some great examples in if you can find it.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    (Original post by Colbert)
    Where's SpikeyMike's topic gone? That had some great examples in if you can find it.
    Still exists, it's on the tech wiki now.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Samsu...urce=LDfroogle

or with hdmi
    http://www.dewgraze.com/deals/shop.c...NP-R520-FA05UK
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Colbert)
    Laptop buying guide:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=953228

Tech Wiki:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...and_Technology

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by will_law25)
    I have an HP G61 which is fairly cheap from currys and an ok laptop.
    I also have the g61, it is a good laptop and costs less than 400.

ReputationRep:
    Oh no, are Acer's bad? I just bought one

ReputationRep:
    how cheap?
    you can get ones that can handle word prosessing, have a battery life of about 10s(which you are proberbly used to if you had an acer), and still run Windonts ME, for about £50

you could get an eepc for £200, from what im told there quite nice, but the OS is not, most people put a form of ubuntu on instad of the windonts copy.

ReputationRep:
    don't buy Dell - I have one and the build quality is poor.
    Get a Toshiba.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lattywatty)
    Oh no, are Acer's bad? I just bought one
    Not always bad. But they are cheaply put together seem very low quality.

ReputationRep:
    Try compaq! You get a HP quality laptop for 3/4's of the price.
    I've got one and I couldn't fault it. Its well made and hasn't broken.

To be honest, the only problem I've had with any computer is Windows. Damn stupid Microsoft Windows.

ReputationRep:
    Mkay, it's my birthday on monday and im getting a loan of some money. I've to get my laptop out of tesco as they're cheaper apparently

Thanks for the tips guys :awesome: I dunno if I should get one with an Windows 7 OS or not, I hate, hate HATE vista...oh only if macs were cheaper :moon:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Mkay, it's my birthday on monday and im getting a loan of some money. I've to get my laptop out of tesco as they're cheaper apparently

Thanks for the tips guys :awesome: I dunno if I should get one with an Windows 7 OS or not, I hate, hate HATE vista...oh only if macs were cheaper :moon:
    I beg to differ.

Just having a quick look on the Tesco site, the < £400 are mostly Intel Celeron processors which is utterly crap. Getting one from Tesco isn't a good idea. :no:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spikeymike)
    I beg to differ.

Just having a quick look on the Tesco site, the < £400 are mostly Intel Celeron processors which is utterly crap. Getting one from Tesco isn't a good idea. :no:
    Unless you get discount :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spikeymike)
    I beg to differ.

Oh

Do you recommend anywhere else then?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Oh

Do you recommend anywhere else then?
    See post #8 and 9.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.