Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    All medical schools are equal! However, some are more equal than others

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    lol at the fact that you sig states that "The plural of anecdote is not data" and yet you don't seem to understand what it means.

No they aren't! Once accepted these so-called people transcend into our moral guardians! Otherwise they don't deserve to be in medicine in the first place!

Even in her imagination she still thinks she's inferior to us. Nice to know.
    i think there is a lesson to be learnt here. no matter how good you are as a medical student or a doctor, never ever never never! act arrogant or show off!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vutterman)
    i think there is a lesson to be learnt here. no matter how good you are as a medical student or a doctor, never ever never never! act arrogant or show off!
    I don't really understand why you've quoted me to say that. :erm:

ReputationRep:
    I don't really understand why you've quoted me to say that. :erm:
    lol oops pressing "quote" became a habit of mine lol soz.

ReputationRep:
    lol oops pressing "quote" became a habit of mine lol soz.
    Fair enough, just wanted to make sure you weren't making a point I wasn't following.

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough, just wanted to make sure you weren't making a point I wasn't following.
    so do you go to oxford or cambridge?

ReputationRep:
    so do you go to oxford or cambridge?
    Oxford.

ReputationRep:
    Is it not just playful banter? Per haps you took her too seriously. From what fitness to Practise taught me, London medics have a great rivalry, which is only logical considering the schools close proximity to each other. Unless it breaks down into some sort of 'Anchorman' situation where a medic from another uni pulls the pin of a grenade and runs into the other unis medical bar, let it be...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Single Malt)
    Is it not just playful banter? Per haps you took her too seriously. From what fitness to Practise taught me, London medics have a great rivalry, which is only logical considering the schools close proximity to each other. Unless it breaks down into some sort of 'Anchorman' situation where a medic from another uni pulls the pin of a grenade and runs into the other unis medical bar, let it be...
    from her comments it seems quite serious to me XD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gildartz)
    from her comments it seems quite serious to me XD
    Nope, does not to me. Sure she is opinionated, but I do not see it as being any more grossly offensive as how one man might call a mercedes much better than an audi. Anyway more important, we are only getting one side of the story. Anyway frankly, I heard just as bad stuff said about medics from other schools when I went to my sheffield interview (during the pre-interview tour).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Single Malt)
    Nope, does not to me. Sure she is opinionated, but I do not see it as being any more grossly offensive as how one man might call a mercedes much better than an audi. Anyway more important, we are only getting one side of the story. Anyway frankly, I heard just as bad stuff said about medics from other schools when I went to my sheffield interview (during the pre-interview tour).
    I was thinking the same thing - none of the stuff she's said is particularly offensive, just standard inter-uni banter, though some people take it too far.

I still tell everyone that Oxford's a complete dump, but I don't really expect anyone to take me particularly seriously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilovehotchocolate)
    I have heard form a few of my friends that got in that the med schools impress on people how brilliant they are as people to have gotten in,and how good their particular med school is. The London ones especially have a lot of rivalry between them, not helped by the recent merger. I remember my friend at (QMUL) telling me how they were taught to hate Barts from the first week. They also have lots of intermed school sports competitions. I hope I get into SGUL because I'd really like to take part in the rowing Bumps race It's a little sad how the rivalry seems to be so ingrained in some people, but a little competition is a good thing. It's no different to the competition between halls that happened when I did my first degree. From Fresher's week we were taught to hate the other halls and sing songs about them (I'm Monte til I die! ), when really, when you think about it, it's random which halls you are allocated.
    Er, what?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    Er, what?
    ? This was before QMUL was merged with Barts. She told me of all the songs and FB groups and the like. Maybe 'hate' is too strong a word: intense rivalry....

ReputationRep:
    Saying 12 years is recent is a bit of a stretch...I was 8 at the time! :eek:

And majorly cute.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure you were. Sorry, maybe I have my wires crossed. I didn't recall QMUL being merged with Barts when we were applying to start September 2006. She applied and got in, I decided I didn't want to go to a London med school (I'm a small city girl but have recently realised London isn't so scary) and so didn't apply. I remember reading the prospectus for QMUL and one for Barts and they were def seperate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilovehotchocolate)
    I'm sure you were. Sorry, maybe I have my wires crossed. I didn't recall QMUL being merged with Barts when we were applying to start September 2006. She applied and got in, I decided I didn't want to go to a London med school (I'm a small city girl but have recently realised London isn't so scary) and so didn't apply. I remember reading the prospectus for QMUL and one for Barts and they were def seperate.
    http://www.smd.qmul.ac.uk/
    :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Lets be honest, the vast majority of people are going to think that their medical school, their speciality, their favourite chocolate bar is the best regardless of any objective reasoning, because deep down nobody wants to think that they didn't make a good choice.

Banter is all fun and games. In no way should anybody ever try and abolish it.

(Original post by Helenia)
    I still tell everyone that Oxford's a complete dump, but I don't really expect anyone to take me particularly seriously.
    We don't need to spread such slanderous lies about our little brothers, we just let the truth be known that your university was only formed because of a group of our students couldn't hack it here. :teeth:

ReputationRep:
    Ahh, if only I could reveal some of the Oxford-banter I heard in theatre last night...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Well, they don't take you seriously anyway because you're from a polytech somewhere marshy...

Amusingly in the description of some fearsome female Consultant yesterday someone felt it important to mention she's a 'Cambridge grad'. :p:

ReputationRep:
    i agree with you. What you are saying is true but open days are supposed to be when they sell their uni's appealing aspect to prospect students. And yeah people can be proud of where they go.

but there is part of opening conversation that i had with this girl

me : Hey!
    Girl : hi
    me : I heard you go to med skl? I am applying this year!
    Girl : really? how's it going?
    me : great! I managed to get an offer from Barts. I'm so excited can't wait till i start!
    Girl : oh yeah barts isn't so bad.
    me : oh.. ok, where do you go?
    Girl : I'm a 4th year at UCL. It's probably better than barts. did you apply?
    me : (WTF!) ummm yeah but didn't heaer anything.

see what i mean?
    Yeah but like, Bart's is **** innit.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.