Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Argh my teacher is a real ***** :/ She's now telling me that I can do expressive but not design because "Thats what the art schools want" and she also said it was unrealistic to aim for GSA or ECA and should be "Working to try and get into Aberdeen" ¬_¬ I hate her so much Anywhoo who are you thinking of doing for your artists in the essays? I'm wanting to do illustration at uni :O Well either that or English lit ... or Law :L Haven't quite decided yet

ReputationRep:
    If I'm honest, it is unrealistic to aim for eca or gsa just from school. I won prizes, did life drawing for years, did extra summer schools and folios, had 4 As and a B, and still only got to interview stage with both of them. It's just because the advanced higher course requires more thorough work rather than folio-type work, which is more exploratory and with a far greater volume. I'm going to college this year and will hopefully get in to eca or gsa next year. If you're wanting to do illustration you could always have an illustration brief for design.. My friend did that and it turned out really well. Your art teacher can't force you to do anything! Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Hi there. art has been strange for me as i got an A in int2 then a C at higher than an A in advanced higher! I found Advanced Higher quite stressful but it was more enjoyable than higher, i got 174/200 (87%) which is an A-1. You MUST put in HUGE amounts of effort and time, i done 15-20 periods a week in art and stayed in school for 2 hours after school every day to finnish it and i was still struggling for time by the end! its a fantastic course and my tips for acheiving an A are:

-do a theme that is unique and nobody else is doing it
    (i done a peformance venue based on industrial leith)

-do alot of drawings for your sheets that are high quality and dont use computer generated drawings, keep your sheets original

-do as many sheets as possible as even if 1 isnt that great, you will still get marks for it! ( i done 17, 18 is max for design)

-do everything very carefully and with great detail

-your designs must be unique, something the marker hasnt seen before and portray fantastic development schemes and link heavily at all times to your theme.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bananaslug77)
    So what are you all doing for your advanced higher art/design enquiries? Did you find it easy to choose your project? Are you totally sure of where your enquiry is going to end up or is it kind of a random choice?

I'm doing expressive work in the fantasy and imagination category with the theme of humans morhped with animals. A basic example would be something like a centaur, but I want to create something that hasn't already been done so, that could be interesting :P

Apparently it's really difficult to get an A in AH because people don't anticipate the workload - only 3 people out of the 9 years my school has been doing AH have got As for their work..

so, thoughts?
    I did AH last year and I got an A, somehow, given I wasn't very consistent in showing up to class :P I don't know how that happened, but most of my class were pulling all-nighters the week before the deadline so you do end up quite pushed for time towards the end. The jump is quite large, from 3 sheets to anything over 10 :P

If you're doing Expressive, doing an essay as your minor unit gives you the best chance of achieving a top grade, since it decreases the work load by a mile, as long as it clearly links to your practical stuff, of course. Your theme doesn't have to be wildly 'out there', either. Mine wasn't very interesting at all.

I had literally no idea where I was going when I started, and picking my theme consisted of looking at all the work I had at the end of the year and linking it effectively. So just go with the flow and you'll be fine

ReputationRep:
    @Seanewilson Art teachers are right. To a point. If you want to do graphic design stress the point, force the point: fight for it. Don't let people tell you you are not capable of your dreams and aspirations. At the end of the day if your hearts not in expressive theres no point doing it, you'll just want to bomb out halfway through and wont produce the same quality of work. So GSA is prestigious and infamous for its pickiness among new students. I would say **** that just do what you want to do. Its about your own artistic value, your intrinsic sense of creativity that should come into it. Even if GSA and ECA are unrealistic for you, there are plenty of other places that will suit your needs. If your truly passionate about your work, your art, you won't let some old bat tell you what to do. Hope you can sort this out and get your teacher back on your side.

ReputationRep:
    P.S - Lat year looked at two graphic designers from different eras. Really enjoyed writing about Saul Bass, a modernist designer from New York and then researched the Art Deco designer Adolphe Mouron, who was unfortunately less interesting. He did however provide a well balanced contrast with Bass' modern designs.

ReputationRep:
    Hey all, I need some advice.

I got an A in higher art, I'm doing AH this year, but i'm not sure what I should do.
    My theme is something along the lines of Japanese culture, and I want to do a design unit, possible Product or Graphic design?

Can anyone give me some ideas?

Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    Err thanks guys ... I think ^_^ I was really pissed but I was speaking to this girl in the year above me who moved to another school in the same area and got into GSA (Conditional which she got) and she said my stuffs good enough if I work really hard over the year and I got AAABB at Higher so I've got good enough grades, just need to work on the folio I was thinking of doing my theme on "Facades" and true human nature, thinking a portrait with a sort of perfectly formed, beautiful face in front of a really thickly brushed, ugly, expressionistic face. LOADS of ideas just can't wait to start them instead of doing stupid Bricolage >.<

ReputationRep:
    help need theme ideas for a jewellery design folio any ideas?

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Applying to university
Uni match

Find your perfect match

Our tool will help you find the perfect uni course for you

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.