Turn on thread page Beta

Hey :) I'm in need of some help here watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi, im from Romania and I don't seem to fully understand some stuff around the site, i've been reading up and down and still couldn't get all the info in my head...I really want to get in Abery, never really been there (hell never been in the uk ^^) but I fell in love whit the place just by reading your posts and looking up random videos of it.
    I'm in love whit the human mind...meaning I just never can get enough of knowing everything there is to know about the way a person thinks, so therefore i wana get a degree in psychology.
    But my main problem is the money...i don't know if I can affor or not to get there. I looked at the burses and studied them over and over again but I still can't seem to place them in my mind...I read somethinga bout low income burse but i just can't seem to find the site about it again. another is the entry burse that I get...by sitting an exam? I didn't quite get this one either...
    Well I think I wrote to much and can't bother you people to read this all but I still hope someone can help me...got another question about the grading system which I wont ask you now ^^
    Oh and can someone tell me please which exam would look better in my application, AC cambridge or IELTS?

ReputationRep:
    Dear Teo,

Concerning money, there are several sources. You have mentioned bursaries and scholarships from the university (they are either none or of very small amount). You could work part-time and earn not more than £8 per hour. If you do work, then you will be able to get the "migrant worker" status and receive a non-refundable grant of ca. £2000 from Student Finance Company which is a state company dealing with student finance. You will also be able to apply for a (refundable) loan whose amount I do not know (If I am not mistaken it is ca. £6000). Beside this, you can apply for a loan that will cover your tuition fees in full (ca. £3100).

The costs for schooling are covered if you borrow the £2000 tuition fee loan. If you do not receive anything from your parents, it is possible to cover all your other costs (e.g. accommodation, food, books, plane fares back home, etc) by working, the £2000 maintenance grant for migrant workers and by borrowing an extra amount of £6000 as maintenance loan.

The money that you borrow will not incur interest (other than the inflationary rate) and is repayable only if you earn above a certain threshold after you graduate. However, this is a lot of borrowed money and will have to be repaid.

You also have to take into consideration that while you work you cannot study. If you have to work for too long periods, then your study might suffer. The types of work students take are generally with catering companies or restaurants and with student unions, so low jobs. You have to know this as your image of coming and studying will actually be studying for a time, working for a time, possibly volunteering for a time and resting for a time.

Concerning English, it is in your advantage to know English as good as possible BEFORE commencing university. If you do not, then you will have greater difficulties with understanding your reading, with writing your essays and with expressing your ideas by word of mouth. The universities might accept you if you do not have the required standard of English, but this might be to your disadvantage later as you will be one struggling, not your tutors. No exam is better than another. Aim high and take the CPE, for instance. Prepare well, study hard because this will later bear fruits! Also try to read a bit on psychology to come already with something to university.

As a general advice, do not be impressed by everything that looks glittering. A lot of it is advertisement and it is without basis. Think what would be better for you in your later life. What would you like to do? Where would you like to be? Would you really like to have the unhappy status of an immigrant and be among people that do not speak your mother tongue? These are serious issues as you would not, by any means, like to finish university and be disillusioned. Many people will accept you here because you pay fees. A good job will not be found very easily after you graduate and you might not be utterly happy with what you get. You will not be borne on hands by the British. Again, try to go beyond the shiny surface.

You might even consider seriously going to university in Romania and going abroad to study as an Erasmus student for a semester or two. Then, you could go for a Master programme or a PhD (Doctorate).

If you still decide to come, there if a very good book on study skills you should read before coming to university: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0...RSHNDJ2DE2XG1Y. Try to take everything seriously and project yourself in the future. What would you like to look like in three years time? What instruments do you need to achieve this? What help can you get? Is it realistic to wait for something from a certain source?

I hope you will have all the best, Teo, in your academic life and do not let anybody buy your dreams and give you 2 pence on them. You are responsible for yourself. When you think you cannot do it, the ask for help.

Yours sincerely,
    Lucian

ReputationRep:
    You may want to read this link because the figures in the previous post are wrong. For a start ther tuition fees are £3290 next year.
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Educatio...ries/index.htm

ReputationRep:
    I think that my "ca." made it clear that the figure was approximate.

ReputationRep:
    A lazy post then when the true figures are available for the click of a mouse and yours were so inaccurate as to be beyond approximate!
    I quote The costs for schooling are covered if you borrow the £2000 tuition fee loan when the true figure is £3290.

ReputationRep:
    Anyway, many thanks for producing the exact figure.

ReputationRep:
    If you're from Romania you don't get a maintenance loan or grant from the SLC. Tuition fees are covered only.

ReputationRep:
    Romanians, as any other citizens of a member state of the European Economic Area(s) ARE eligible to get maintenance grant and loan from Student Finance England as migrant workers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by luciantodoran)
    Romanians, as any other citizens of a member state of the European Economic Area(s) ARE eligible to get maintenance grant and loan from Student Finance England as migrant workers.
    But only if they are considered a migrant worker, which judging from recent posts around TSR, since migrant worker cases have been handed over to a different part of SFE it is not an easy status to get. There are some people who have been classified as a migraint worker in previous years, and been denied funding for new years recently.

It is not a sure-fire way of being eligible for anything, and it would be risky if you made all your decisions based on the fact that you were a migrant worker.

It seems unlikely that someone who moves to the UK just before their course and starts working would be counted as a migrant worker when their main purpose of being in the UK is for education, not to work.

OP, EU students are eligible for tuition fee loans, but cannot get grants or bursaries. However, if the uni you want to apply to offers bursaries/scholarships based on exams you should be able to do this (unless they state only home students are eligible) by taking the exams they specify. I'm not quite sure where you want to go to uni though-did you mean Aberystwyth?

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.