Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I applied to read philosophy & theology but have been made an unconditional offer for theology.

I feel gutted and quite disappointed! I had been looking forward to studying philosophy at university and did well in my A levels. I really enjoy thinking and reading about philosophical topics. I am a mature student (26 years old).

I plan on studying the introduction to philosophy option as part of my single option theology, which i can do in my prelims.

How easy is it to change after prelims? Who do i contact? What obstacles will i face? Should i try and do really well in my prelims?

James

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Socratessmells)
    I applied to read philosophy & theology but have been made an unconditional offer for theology.

I feel gutted and quite disappointed! I had been looking forward to studying philosophy at university and did well in my A levels. I really enjoy thinking and reading about philosophical topics. I am a mature student (26 years old).

I plan on studying the introduction to philosophy option as part of my single option theology, which i can do in my prelims.

How easy is it to change after prelims? Who do i contact? What obstacles will i face? Should i try and do really well in my prelims?

James
    I don't know about your particular situation but a guy in my college wants to swap from English to English & History. He's been told that if he gets 65% in his prelims (solid 2:1) he'll be allowed to swap. I expect it varies from college to college and department to department though.

ReputationRep:
    I think your particular university would be the best to contact, they'll know better than anyone on here.

ReputationRep:
    The best person to speak to would be your equivalent of 'senior tutor'. Its their job to sort out these sorts of academic issues. Have you spoken to your subject tutor yet?

ReputationRep:
    I switched from History to Ancient & Modern History, on the strength of one Ancient History paper I took (which meant that my ancient/not ancient balance was the same as the proper AMH student in my year). It looks as though if you do the Philosophy option within Theology, that will basically be the PhilTheo first year - if you do well on the Philosophy paper I can't imagine they'll have very many qualms about letting you switch formally.

ReputationRep:
    I will be starting at Oxford in Oct 2010. I don't have a senior tutor as i applied independently. It's been 7 years since i left school!

I was hoping to hear from current Oxford UGs who have been through the process or are hoping to.

ReputationRep:
    What are prelims? (preliminary exams, for what?)

And a "senior tutor" as opposed to applying independently?

:o:

ReputationRep:
    I will be starting at Oxford in Oct 2010. I don't have a senior tutor as i applied independently. It's been 7 years since i left school!
    The Senior Tutor is the staff member in the Oxford college, not your school. It'll be their decision (along with those of the relevant subject tutors) whether to allow you to change course or not.

ReputationRep:
    Do bear in mind that there is a degree of flexibility within every Oxford course and that you'll have plenty of opportunity to diversify in the direction of your choosing. Just because your degree might be in theology, that's no reason why you can't simultaneously develop your philosophical thinking. The fact that the subjects go together only makes this easier.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a history student at LMH and we've been told that we can switch to history & politics or history & english after prelims. Also, one of the freshers switched from classics to classical archaeology in his first week but it was on condition that he got a 2:1 in his first collection. It depends on the college, but I'd say your prospects of switching to philosophy & theology are rather good.

ReputationRep:
    1. Does it not depend on the philosophy department rather than the college/senior tutor?
    2. Won't the philosophy department be less inclined to allow me to switch considering i have already applied and failed?

ReputationRep:
    1. Does it not depend on the philosophy department rather than the college/senior tutor?
    No, it will be an internal decision within the college. Philosophy isn't taught as a single honours subject, so the Department won't really take an interest in students changing courses after starting (it has no bearing on student numbers in any other subject). If you were wanting to switch between bigger subjects then the relevant tutors might consult the department as well, but even then the decision is made entirely within the college.

2. Won't the philosophy department be less inclined to allow me to switch considering i have already applied and failed?
    Well, presumably you will already have been interviewed by the Philosophy tutor at the college which has given you the offer for Theology? So yes, if you're going to switch when you're here you're going to have to convince him/her that you are in fact worthy of a place studying Philosophy & Theology.

Edit: just read rkd's post above; indeed, doing well in the Philosophy paper would certainly help your case.

ReputationRep:
    I think if you get a first you can switch very easily. Also, my friend switched from theology to philthy after his first year. It's definitely possible.

ReputationRep:
    I was tempted to decline my unconditional offer and apply again. But that's silly! The same thing may happen again. And i may be left with no offers.

I agree-I think i will try and do really well in prelims and discuss with my college at that time.

Found this from the OUSU:

http://www.ousu.org/acaff/undergradu...duate-courses/

ReputationRep:
    I was tempted to decline my unconditional offer and apply again. But that's silly! The same thing may happen again. And i may be left with no offers.

I agree-I think i will try and do really well in prelims and discuss with my college at that time.
    The exact process varies from college to college. But by way of an example, the Somerville policy is available online here.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.