Turn on thread page Beta

Vlerick Leuven Gent Management School - Any opinions on its reputation? watch

ReputationRep:
    I have been reading this site for a number of years and this is my first post! Anyhooo...
    I am thinking of undertaking an MSc in Financial Management at Vlerick with the intention of going into IB/Markets afterwards. Does anyone know anything about this business school and its reputation in the city?
    It is very high up the FT and Economist rankings but nobody seems to have heard of it. Any thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    Great reputation in Belgium, where Vlerick and Solvay dominate the business scene. However, Belgium is not an important financial hub, so Vlerick postgraduates mostly end up feeding the likes of Deloitte or the Big Four.

The rankings aren't the bible. Cambridge's Judge Business School places 39 in FT's European Business School ranking, but most of the students in the 38 unis above would sell their mothers to get in there.

ReputationRep:
    You have just illustrated the point I was trying to make so perhaps I should have made the purpose of this thread clearer. Clearly as you said the rankings aren't the bible and there is a disconnect between the rankings and actual reputation which is what I am trying to gauge on this thread with respect to Vlerick.

I had noticed the same as you had pointed out which is that a lot of Vlerick graduates tend to go into consultancy, but do IB's have an appetite for these graduates? I am just apprehensive about picking a business school purely on the rankings...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flugestuge)
    Do you plan to work in Belgium afterwards ?
    No I plan on working in the UK. I already have some FO experience at a UK IB and I plan on getting a postgrad qualification before re-entering the industry...

ReputationRep:
    I am not looking to handicap myself, if you look at the title of my thread you will see that my question is whether or not that would be the case.
    I have not accepted the offer yet. I am asking the forum members how well known Vlerick is because I have no idea. I had not even heard of CASS until recently however general consensus on here is that it is a good business school for entering the city...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 13luemagic)
    I am not looking to handicap myself, if you look at the title of my thread you will see that my question is whether or not that would be the case.
    I have not accepted the offer yet. I am asking the forum members how well known Vlerick is because I have no idea. I had not even heard of CASS until recently however general consensus on here is that it is a good business school for entering the city...
    In my opinion, the case for CASS has more to do with the location than with the actual academic quality.

Regarding Vlerick, it is a very good business school but unfortunately not a main European target for the Investment Banks in London. Could you still get a front office job in the City while studying there? Of course, but as it's been said above, you are making it harder for yourself.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 16, 2010
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.