Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are the ebay diesel tuning chips any good? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomc87)
    It might also be an issue where the manufacturer offers an engine in several states of tune as standard, the old VAG 1.9TDI could be anything from 90-150bhp..

So surely if VW had tuned up eg. the 110bhp TDI and sold it at a similar price, it would infringe on the sale of the 130 or 150bhp TDIs (which sell at a pretty heavy premium even now)?
    Yeh, same with 2ltr TDI VW units, one is 140bhp, the other is 170bhp. Exactly the same engine, just a different map, and injectors, and the 170 has a DPF, and slightly higher common rail pressure. But in essence, you can get 168bhp out of a 140bhp engine simply by changing the map.

Which is what a lot of people do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RandomFellas)
    To be honest, I don't buy it for one bit that a engine had an extra 40BHP potential that the OEM decided to lock away. Perhaps you could gain 10BHP if what you guys above said is true... but anything above that seems like a load of bull to be honest.

Even if, that means the fuel economy will be ruined... correct?
    People have had their car dynoed and it backs it up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    Yeh, same with 2ltr TDI VW units, one is 140bhp, the other is 170bhp. Exactly the same engine, just a different map, and injectors, and the 170 has a DPF, and slightly higher common rail pressure. But in essence, you can get 168bhp out of a 140bhp engine simply by changing the map.

Do you know if the brakes are bigger in the 170 and perhaps different suspension? Just curious lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potential Trigger)
    Do you know if the brakes are bigger in the 170 and perhaps different suspension? Just curious lol
    On the Leon?

Basically if you have the 2.0TDI Reference Sport, it has exactly the same chassis as the FR, just 140bhp. So one simple remap, and you get FR power, just you don't have the FR seats and FR logos. The brakes, suspension, everything else is the same.

If you have any other spec Leon though, it does change so you have to be careful.

Its the same with the Ibiza Sport (my one) and the Ibiza FR. The Sport has the smaller engine but the chassis itself is the FR chassis, except the brakes on the Ibiza, the Sport has drums on the back, but the FR has discs all round. But the suspension is the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    On the Leon?

Basically if you have the 2.0TDI Reference Sport, it has exactly the same chassis as the FR, just 140bhp. So one simple remap, and you get FR power, just you don't have the FR seats and FR logos. The brakes, suspension, everything else is the same.

If you have any other spec Leon though, it does change so you have to be careful.

Its the same with the Ibiza Sport (my one) and the Ibiza FR. The Sport has the smaller engine but the chassis itself is the FR chassis, except the brakes on the Ibiza, the Sport has drums on the back, but the FR has discs all round. But the suspension is the same.
    Ah, can't believe both have same brakes. Yeah just a remap required! Do you have the new Ibiza? It's quite a smart car!

The other day I saw a Audi A3 and Golf next to each other and damn, it really hits you how they shared a platform during development!

ReputationRep:
    Ah, can't believe both have same brakes. Yeah just a remap required! Do you have the new Ibiza? It's quite a smart car!

The other day I saw a Audi A3 and Golf next to each other and damn, it really hits you how they shared a platform during development!
    Nah, I have the 56 shape Ibiza, so the last of the old shape. It is in the my car pictures thread. Can't miss it, there is a massive Jag before it, lol!

Oh yeh, I mean the A3 is a nicer car than the Golf, but in terms of the chassis, they are exactly the same. You pay for the interior, same with the Skoda, Seat, VW or Audi.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    Nah, I have the 56 shape Ibiza, so the last of the old shape. It is in the my car pictures thread. Can't miss it, there is a massive Jag before it, lol!

Oh yeh, I mean the A3 is a nicer car than the Golf, but in terms of the chassis, they are exactly the same. You pay for the interior, same with the Skoda, Seat, VW or Audi.

Just saw, nice colour! I like the styling of the headlights and the fact they are clear so you can see the bulbs, makes it look mean :devil:

ReputationRep:
    Just saw, nice colour! I like the styling of the headlights and the fact they are clear so you can see the bulbs, makes it look mean :devil:
    Lol yours is the same shape isn't it?

Yeh its a good looking car and a great drive, plus it is built so well, nothing has broken in my 3 and half years of ownership (drove it off the forecourt) and I really can't knock it.

Which is way it is so hard to replace it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    Lol yours is the same shape isn't it?

Yeh its a good looking car and a great drive, plus it is built so well, nothing has broken in my 3 and half years of ownership (drove it off the forecourt) and I really can't knock it.

Which is way it is so hard to replace it!
    Lol no I had a Golf 1.6 mk4. Thinking of buying another car in the coming months although I don't need one-well when did I ever being at uni!

Not sure what to get...looking at everyone's at university for ideas hehe. Definitely diesel so I can remap it and still have good economy being a student! One guy has a 2.2 CTDI Type S Civic, remapped from 140bhp to 180bhp I think. But it's a bit out of my price range. I could afford it on an 06 plate but would rather get a 03-04 reg car and save the rest of the money.

ReputationRep:
    Lol no I had a Golf 1.6 mk4. Thinking of buying another car in the coming months although I don't need one-well when did I ever being at uni!

Not sure what to get...looking at everyone's at university for ideas hehe. Definitely diesel so I can remap it and still have good economy being a student! One guy has a 2.2 CTDI Type S Civic, remapped from 140bhp to 180bhp I think. But it's a bit out of my price range. I could afford it on an 06 plate but would rather get a 03-04 reg car and save the rest of the money.
    Well your problem there is that the modern vw 2ltr is the one you want and came in around 2006, so you might find a high mileage one for the money, but I reckon if you wait 18 months you will get a lot more.

I am in a good position because I am studying engineering but I get paid to do it, sports car here I come! Lol!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    Well your problem there is that the modern vw 2ltr is the one you want and came in around 2006, so you might find a high mileage one for the money, but I reckon if you wait 18 months you will get a lot more.

I am in a good position because I am studying engineering but I get paid to do it, sports car here I come! Lol!
    Now that's the life Hopefully one of these days when I graduate I won't have to worry about all this. I will never look at a diesel and straight go for big petrol engines :p:

Couple of people here I know doing engineering, sounds well hard, Medicine is more logical for me haha.

Btw my friend's Dad is a marine engineer, he says you sweat buckets whilst down in the boiler room!

ReputationRep:
    Now that's the life Hopefully one of these days when I graduate I won't have to worry about all this. I will never look at a diesel and straight go for big petrol engines :p:

Couple of people here I know doing engineering, sounds well hard, Medicine is more logical for me haha.

Btw my friend's Dad is a marine engineer, he says you sweat buckets whilst down in the boiler room!
    Yes, yes you do! And you eat **** loads too, I work on cruise ships though so the food is 5* every night. Hard life having to eat truffles and lobster for dinner for 4 months...!

And you can have as much as you like, nom nom nom!

I was eating in excess of 7000 calories when I was on ship, but I burnt it all off in the engine room. It is hard to describe how hot it is down there, but when we were in the med, it was regularly in excess of 50C in the engine room. Literally you had boxers, boiler suit, socks and shoes on, that was it! And then your boiler suit would always be open, it was so sodding hot!

I think because I work with diesels, the idea of having to drive a diesel is the most depressing idea ever, so I think it will always be petrol for me. I tried diesel, didn't like it. Don't diss it till you have tried it!

Engineering is not easy, but then neither is medicine so meh! I'll stick to my planetary and epicylic gearing and you can have your dermatitis and munchausen syndrome! House MD FTW!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)

I thought the 170TDI had two turbos? Link. [I know it's slightly different, but in essence it's the same]

I've just this weekend got my first DERV, though it's quite old. It does have a lot of 'shove' compared to the Clio 1.4 petrol!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    Yes, yes you do! And you eat **** loads too, I work on cruise ships though so the food is 5* every night. Hard life having to eat truffles and lobster for dinner for 4 months...!

And you can have as much as you like, nom nom nom!

I was eating in excess of 7000 calories when I was on ship, but I burnt it all off in the engine room. It is hard to describe how hot it is down there, but when we were in the med, it was regularly in excess of 50C in the engine room. Literally you had boxers, boiler suit, socks and shoes on, that was it! And then your boiler suit would always be open, it was so sodding hot!

I think because I work with diesels, the idea of having to drive a diesel is the most depressing idea ever, so I think it will always be petrol for me. I tried diesel, didn't like it. Don't diss it till you have tried it!

Engineering is not easy, but then neither is medicine so meh! I'll stick to my planetary and epicylic gearing and you can have your dermatitis and munchausen syndrome! House MD FTW!
    Lol that's pretty much what his Dad said, being in minimal clothing in a room full of men haha. Though I think he worked on an oil tanker so he wouldn't have got as decent food as you, that is seriously cool :p: I wouldn't mind eating all that and then burning it off too!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah dont buy these, they fool the engine into thinking there cold there for pump more fuel to be combusted. Hence the extra power. However it will mess the cylinders up and blow the head gasket possible. If you want power, buy a 1.6+ and tune it properly. Reduce weight and increase air flow.Also a service can almost double the horsepower dependant on when it was last done

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deploythecowcatcher)
    his statement was perfectly logical, why is it incorrect?
    No it wasn't?

Google it. Totally wrong. I KNOW because my car is remapped and it gained more than 2-3% - try 30%+ gains.

I'll upload my Rolling Road printout if you want confirmation.

So please, go away - you know nothing about cars.

ReputationRep:
    Lol that's pretty much what his Dad said, being in minimal clothing in a room full of men haha. Though I think he worked on an oil tanker so he wouldn't have got as decent food as you, that is seriously cool :p: I wouldn't mind eating all that and then burning it off too!
    Oh yeh, it is awesome, I can't wait to go back lol!

ReputationRep:
    I am not talking about the crappy 50p resistor thing...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-DIESEL-PERF...item3a515968b9

I ask because my friend has bought this one I think, and he is going to install it in the coming days.

Anyone have any experience of these? If his is a good one, I will be sure to buy one from ebay myself at under £100, much cheaper than a remap.

Obviously it wont be as great as a remap, but as long as it does the job, doesn't damage the car in anyway, I think most people would be happy.
    i dunno, it prob will be fine, but dunno if I would trust buying this kinda stuff on my own, i would rather go to a reputable company and do this, coz at least its being done by pros and theres some sort of warantee. im thinking of remapping my turbodiesel focus and it would cost about 350 quid. But dunno if i can trust it to not wear out my engine or something!

ReputationRep:
    Think of it this way, if serious modders could save £1000's in inductions and remaps ect and buy a resistor why wouldn't they, like i said before prelonged usage will damage the engine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhilMc)
    No it wasn't?

Google it. Totally wrong. I KNOW because my car is remapped and it gained more than 2-3% - try 30%+ gains.

I'll upload my Rolling Road printout if you want confirmation.

So please, go away - you know nothing about cars.
    so if it was possible to increase perfomance and economy with no negative side effects, then why did the manufactures not include this as standard, (which would allow them to sell more cars, and make more profit)

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 3, 2014
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.