Turn on thread page Beta

The best way to ask her... watch

I've met a girl who lives in Southampton who I will be asking out on a date fairly soon as it's half term (I'm going to suggest we go for a walk somewhere to get to know her and get used to talking face to face. It's informal and not much of a 'cliché' like a shopping centre.)

The problem is, I live in Portsmouth which is a 40-odd minute train journey (with stops ofc) and so going all the way to Southampton for a walk seems quite... strange I suppose. So for some reason, I've convinced myself that I need a good reason to be in Southampton in the first place, I just can't think of anything to say.

Like: I'm in Southampton at the moment because .... fancy coming for a walk?

If I don't say why in the text, I'm sure she'll ask me why and I'm not confident in trying to say 'i just fancied being with you' as it's so cheesy lmao

Could anyone give me hand please?

Thanks

Just to clarify, I'm not afraid of asking so 'grow some balls' isn't a valid answer :P: If she says no, at least I'll no not to bother with her anymore

ReputationRep:
    How odd would it be, if she's reading this right now and gives you an excuse and then you use the excuse?

ReputationRep:
    Does going all the way to Southampton for a date seem quite... strange?

ReputationRep:
    get one of those planes with the smoke

you kno what im sayin?

(Original post by KayK)
    How odd would it be, if she's reading this right now and gives you an excuse and then you use the excuse?
    I can't tell you how hilarious that would be

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dhokes)
    I've got to say, that bug in your siggy was very convincing! I thought it was on my screen for a few seconds until I twigged (Or else i'm just a bit stupid/tired today)

(Original post by ranbow99)
    I like near Southampton and Portsmouth!! Haha I hope your not football fans, otherwise yesterday's match may cause some differences between you :P hehe

Anyway back to the point, maybe just say you were visiting some friends, or going to southampton uni open day in the morning, and free in the afternoon so wondered about meeting up? Or you had to visit your relative? (It was their birthday or something?)
    Or tell her the truth, so she'll know your interested. Good luck
    I suppose that's true actually, I could just make it up
    You don't live in Fareham by any chance do you? :P:

ReputationRep:
    I live in the middle of Southampton and Portsmouth wreyyy. Er anyway just say you were doing a bit of shopping, or saw some mates. But ask to 'hang out' not 'go for a walk' sounds a bit weird.

ReputationRep:
    Mate, just say you've been down the Bargate having a sesh at Sega Park and does she want to come along for a game of Virtua Soccer.

(Original post by dhokes)
    Well, I suppose my aim was to make it as little of a date as possible. She's quite shy and so I think the pressure of a proper date to a restaurant or something is unfair on her.
    So in that sense, to me, it does seem a little odd. If she came to Portsmouth to see me I'd think it was a really nice gesture, but I'm not certain if 1) she's the same or 2) if she likes me in that way (though I'm 75% sure ). I could end up looking like a massive weirdo lol.

ReputationRep:
    this thread is full of terrible ideas

ReputationRep:
    Best way is to come up with something inane and obviously ridiculous, such as "I'm in Southampton at the moment because I wanted to get this particular cheese and the tesco near my place had run out, but they told me they had some here... so anyway, fancy going for a wander round town seeing as i'm here now?"

ReputationRep:
    Tell her you need to buy yourself a new trike and if she wants to meet you at toys 'r' us.

(Original post by tom//)
    this thread is full of terrible ideas
    Oh ok.

Shoot with yours then.

I'm intruiged. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Well, I suppose my aim was to make it as little of a date as possible. She's quite shy and so I think the pressure of a proper date to a restaurant or something is unfair on her.
    So in that sense, to me, it does seem a little odd. If she came to Portsmouth to see me I'd think it was a really nice gesture, but I'm not certain if 1) she's the same or 2) if she likes me in that way (though I'm 75% sure ). I could end up looking like a massive weirdo lol.
    Simply, I was visiting family/friends/shopping...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Oh ok.

Shoot with yours then.

I'm intruiged. :cool:
    #6 :hand:

ReputationRep:
    "I needed a piss so I went to St. Marys, seeing as you're in the area fancy meeting up for a coffee?"

ReputationRep:
    say you've gone shopping for a birthday present for someone or something like that at west quay coz there arent any decent shops in portsmouth? xx

(Original post by tom//)
    #6 :hand:
    I don't know what you mean

Care to ellaborate?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 14, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.