Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, At the moment I am doing Spanish at French at GCSE. I really enjoy languages and am continuing french at a-level. I really want to carry on learning Spanish but 1. I didn't have enough options to fit it in and 2. My spanish teacher is appauling and her lessons are so mind numbingly dull I don't think I could hack it. Despite this I do love the subject, how could I carry on with spanish beside my a levels? I can't really afford to pay £200 or so to do a proper part time college course :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    To start, a college course would be free as long as you're in England, under 18, and still in education.

ReputationRep:
    or you could continue it at University without having an A level.

ReputationRep:
    Spanish is a language, not just a school subject- So any manner of reading or talking in spanish is great! Grab yourself a spanish novel. I read the sports papers and listen to the radio in spanish when I'm not at home. The internet has lots of documentaries in spanish for free Don't feel restricted by your mind-numbingly dull teacher.

ReputationRep:
    Can't you just teach yourself? That's what I did, then I entered uni at post A-Level standard. I learned way more Spanish from TV, songs, radio and websites than I ever did in a classroom.

ReputationRep:
    I've never learnt Spanish in school, yet I'm doing the A Level this year and have a place to study it at Oxford next year! I think if you really love it, there's no reason why you shouldn't continue. I do French and German in school and the lessons there can be tedious, but I know I want to get to the highest standard possible, which is why I'm persevering. There are highs and lows like with every subject! I'd say do it in school if possible, but definitely keep reading around, watching films, etc. to keep up your own enthusiasm for it.

Depending on how passionate you are about it, you could even go to both your school lessons and, if your teacher is as appauling as you say s/he is, go to the evening classes and/or get a tutor?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 19, 2010

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.