Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Thread Starter

    Asking on behalf of a friend, we've both looked at the student finance site but still a little confused as to what he could be entitled to or how to apply;

    -He's 21, will turn 22 when he (hopefully) starts the course, undergraduate (first degree h's doing)
    -been out of education since 18 after doing A-levels and had a small business the last 3 years, but not doing that anymore
    -he has pretty much no money now, on the dole while trying to find a job (not sure if this is relevent to the application?)
    -lives with parents, who earn under the threshold for household income (if he can apply househol income tested grants etc-can he do this at this age??)

    Sorry for sounded quite clueless but would appreciate help, can he apply normally, does it change after 21? etc etc..


    He would just apply as normal. You're not a Mature Student in the eyes of Student Finance until you are 25 or over.

    So if his parents earn under the threshold he should get full support.

    Go to direct.gov.uk and head to the student finance bit and there is a calculator to fill in that gives you estimated funding.

    I think he will qualify for the full funding.
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.