Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darigan)
    This - How do you get the earning power of Jay-Z without selling out. The majority of 'hip-hop artists' follow a PR line that is no less contrived than that of Simon Cowell and X-Factor
    WRONG

Jay-Z's musical success has been built on being a solid album artist not selling out. For example he only got his first US Number 1 single despite being around for 15 years. Not to mention that he has always produced quality albums. His finiancial success is mainly due to his entrepreneurial exploits rather than soley making hundreds of millions due to album sales.

Maybe you are not familiar with hip hop but the new acts coming into the genre is in no way X FActor like:rolleyes: I don't even know what you are trying to say with that point please explain yourself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tha_Black_Shinobi)
    WRONG

Jay-Z's musical success has been built on being a solid album artist not selling out. For example he only got his first US Number 1 single despite being around for 15 years. Not to mention that he has always produced quality albums. His finiancial success is mainly due to his entrepreneurial exploits rather than soley making hundreds of millions due to album sales.

Maybe you are not familiar with hip hop but the new acts coming into the genre is in no way X FActor like:rolleyes: I don't even know what you are trying to say with that point please explain yourself
    Every movement being stage managed, every outfit being carefully selected for the cameras, and on, and on, and on.

I don't know if you are familiar with spin, but.......

ReputationRep:
    Every movement being stage managed, every outfit being carefully selected for the cameras, and on, and on, and on.

I don't know if you are familiar with spin, but.......
    are you actually an iditot? That is pretty much the same with EVERY single act in EVERY single genre does this. Even your favourite little indie band does it in case you didn't know

ReputationRep:
    I don't think he is that much of sell-out, he is just trying to keep his head above the water and making stash in the process. As for NAS, HE NEEDS TO UP HIS GAME.

ReputationRep:
    are you actually an iditot? That is pretty much the same with EVERY single act in EVERY single genre does this. Even your favourite little indie band does it in case you didn't know
    Oh now, please, can't we be civil?:naughty:

I'm not a big fan of Indie either.

I listen to a bit of Dubstep, Dylan, Marley, ADF and... shock-horror Jay-Z.

The fact is that if you can't recognise the massive marketing machine behind big acts such as Jay-Z etc, then you should probobly head down the opticians and get a check-up.

I like some of his tracks, but I'm also highly aware of the PR hoops that he jumps through.

In answer to your question - no, I am not an idiot.

ReputationRep:
    Jay Z, Rihanna, Kanye, Lil Wayne, Jay Sean, Kid cudi, Madonna, all free masons. All pathetic losers in ma eyes

ReputationRep:
    Lol who gives a **** about Jay-z vs Nas, or whether Jay-Z is a sellout.

Don't tell me you wouldn't do anything he's done for the cash he has!!!

Also, with a few of the people here talking like they are some professors of hip-hop, I'm surprised Big L hasn't got a mention. He was better than any rapper mentioned in this thread!

ReputationRep:
    Oh now, please, can't we be civil?:naughty:

I'm not a big fan of Indie either.

I listen to a bit of Dubstep, Dylan, Marley, ADF and... shock-horror Jay-Z.

The fact is that if you can't recognise the massive marketing machine behind big acts such as Jay-Z etc, then you should probobly head down the opticians and get a check-up.

I like some of his tracks, but I'm also highly aware of the PR hoops that he jumps through.

In answer to your question - no, I am not an idiot.
    I never claimed that Jay-Z didn't have a marketing machine behind him. If you had bothered to get a check up from your optician then you would have read that I stated that this is not just common to Hip Hop but is pretty much prevalent in every single genre.

ReputationRep:
    I never claimed that Jay-Z didn't have a marketing machine behind him. If you had bothered to get a check up from your optician then you would have read that I stated that this is not just common to Hip Hop but is pretty much prevalent in every single genre.
    chill.....

Anyway, If Jay-Z has not 'sold-out', what does he stand for? Honest question

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AYE)
    Where did i even imply that? oh sorry, you were trying to be funny by purposefully misinterpreting what I said for debates sake. Dame how silly of me.

btw, I've been to one of his "sell out" concerts, ya don't have to be a immature nut hugger to be a fan.
    Actually I wasnt talking to you - it was to the OP & I already added my piece to the debate if you look at the first page (which was a more serious response). And I also have been to his "sell out" concerts and ended up in a music video..:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    It took you how long to realise this?

ReputationRep:
    Not really - Last decade it's was one cracker followed by a dud.

The Blueprint, Black Album and American Gangster were fantastic.

The Blueprint 2 and Kingdom Come were duds.

I've not listened to Blueprint 3 yet.

Reasonable Doubt is still the best.

ReputationRep:
    Let's be honest it doesnt matter if he's sold out, he'll still never be as good as Public enemy .
    You say Nas only has two songs suitable for radio maybe this is the problem? You can only appeal to a wide audience if people can here you, which for most people would be by hearing a song on the radio. Most artist's these days are "sell outs" for example Dizzee Rascal moved from his grime roots to a much poppier album.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumanNature1992)
    Actually I wasnt talking to you - it was to the OP & I already added my piece to the debate if you look at the first page (which was a more serious response). And I also have been to his "sell out" concerts and ended up in a music video..:rolleyes:
    Right, then I apologise.

ReputationRep:
    chill.....

Anyway, If Jay-Z has not 'sold-out', what does he stand for? Honest question
    Making good music. The guy pulled his "American Gangster" album from the Itunes store cos he wanted people to consume the album as one body of work rather than pick and choose songs to download. I wouldn't exactly call that selling out

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.