Turn on thread page Beta

Charges for Cancelling O2 iPhone Contract watch

ReputationRep:
    My boyfriend can't afford his iPhone contract anymore (its £40/month for 24 months and we're only 6 months in) so he wants to cancel it.

Anyone know how much O2 will charge?

Also, tips on changing from iPhone contract to PAYG?

Thanks xx

ReputationRep:
    He has to pay off the contract.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blinkbelle)
    My boyfriend can't afford his iPhone contract anymore (its £40/month for 24 months and we're only 6 months in) so he wants to cancel it.

Anyone know how much O2 will charge?

Also, tips on changing from iPhone contract to PAYG?

Thanks xx
    Well, he can't. Its a contract. He signed it. He agreed to pay 24 months. He could pay off the remaining £720 but it would be rather silly, as he would then be going without the contract, but still paying it.

Silly boy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MikeL230)
    He has to pay off the contract.
    (Original post by Max Hinks)
    Well, he can't. Its a contract. He signed it. He agreed to pay 24 months. He could pay off the remaining £720 but it would be rather silly, as he would then be going without the contract, but still paying it.

Silly boy.
    :rolleyes: No he doesn't! It says on the O2 website that you can cancel your contract, but you have to give 30 days notice and there will be a charge.

I was asking if anyone had experience of how much this charge will be. Which neither of you do, so well done, pointless posts!

xxx

ps. if being made redundant and losing the majority of his income makes him a 'silly boy' then I hope you never face the same fate.

ReputationRep:
    Yes the charge is the remaining amount of the contract, which would be £720.

ReputationRep:
    :rolleyes: No he doesn't! It says on the O2 website that you can cancel your contract, but you have to give 30 days notice and there will be a charge.

I was asking if anyone had experience of how much this charge will be. Which neither of you do, so well done, pointless posts!

xxx

ps. if being made redundant and losing the majority of his income makes him a 'silly boy' then I hope you never face the same fate.
    er, yeh he does.

you give 30 days notice, then o2 cancel it and send an invoice for the amount including the following:

the REMAINING months charge (so 17 * £40) plus any value on the phone you haven't paid for if i remember correctly, or it could just be the 17 * £40.

be far easier to try and find the £40 per month than cancelling and having to find ~£700.

if he can't pay, they a) take him to court b) hand it to a debt collecting agency.

ReputationRep:
    I also would like to know this charge

ReputationRep:
    You have to pay off all your remaining monthly payments. Which at this stage will be 18*£40=£720.

If he can hang on another 3 months then he'll only have to pay 15*£35=£475.

Don't sign the contract if you don't want to pay it. :fyi:

ReputationRep:
    You have to pay off the rest of the contract as already said.

ReputationRep:

xxx

That charge will be the remainder of his contract. Eg the £720 that is remaining....

ReputationRep:
    :confused: this is weird, as my friend's boyfriend ended up cancelling his o2 contract a while back and I'm sure his charge was ~£50.

Have any of you who have commented actually gone through this process before? xx

ReputationRep:
    :confused: this is weird, as my friend's boyfriend ended up cancelling his o2 contract a while back and I'm sure his charge was ~£50.

Have any of you who have commented actually gone through this process before? xx
    Yes.

Rang O2 this morning they said however many months I have left multiplied by my monthly cost.

When I cancelled my tocco with vodafone I was 1 month in and had to pay £340 odd

It will def be the £700 or so, promise you

If he calles 2302 from his iPhone (its free) he will get an option to go through to a line 'thinking of leaving us'. O2 were gits on the phone to me this morning that option was on the list, tell him to give them a call

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kexy)
    You have to pay off all your remaining monthly payments. Which at this stage will be 18*£40=£720.

If he can hang on another 3 months then he'll only have to pay 15*£35=£475.

Don't sign the contract if you don't want to pay it. :fyi:
    Why down to £35 a month times by the months left in another 3 months :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinsley)
    Yes.

Rang O2 this morning they said however many months I have left multiplied by my monthly cost.

When I cancelled my tocco with vodafone I was 1 month in and had to pay £340 odd

It will def be the £700 or so, promise you

If he calles 2302 from his iPhone (its free) he will get an option to go through to a line 'thinking of leaving us'. O2 were gits on the phone to me this morning that option was on the list, tell him to give them a call
    Thank you for your reply! That's a bit poo I guess it will be better in the long run for him to keep the contract then! xx

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your reply! That's a bit poo I guess it will be better in the long run for him to keep the contract then! xx
    Unfortunately yes

This is why they will make a bomb if the new iPhone comes out lots of people will cancel the contract to buy a new contract for the new iPhone.

On the plus side he will have all his mins and texts still by having it, maybe if he rang and asked nicely they would downgrade it to the £35 a month contract but O2 are hard to budge on things like this and would probably want £100 to do so too!

This is why I don't like 24 month contracts, they are sooooo long

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately yes

This is why they will make a bomb if the new iPhone comes out lots of people will cancel the contract to buy a new contract for the new iPhone.

On the plus side he will have all his mins and texts still by having it, maybe if he rang and asked nicely they would downgrade it to the £35 a month contract but O2 are hard to budge on things like this and would probably want £100 to do so too!

This is why I don't like 24 month contracts, they are sooooo long
    Even reducing it to £35 would be better, as he can afford to pay something its just a bit excessive given the only job he's managed to find is part time...

Thanks again!! xx

ReputationRep:
    Why down to £35 a month times by the months left in another 3 months :confused:
    Because you can change the contract ie, what you pay each month after 9 months. Making it cheaper for him to reduce it to 35 pounds a month instead of 40 before he cancels it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amstead)
    Because you can change the contract ie, what you pay each month after 9 months. Making it cheaper for him to reduce it to 35 pounds a month instead of 40 before he cancels it.
    Ooooh I didn't know after the 9 month mark we could do that, thanks that's handy

OP, as Amstead/Kexy have shown he can reduce it in a few months

ReputationRep:
    Ooooh I didn't know after the 9 month mark we could do that, thanks that's handy

OP, as Amstead/Kexy have shown he can reduce it in a few months
    Thanks ladies, I will pass this info on! You're both stars xx

ReputationRep:
    I'd look into what you loose going from £40 to £35 though, you might loose more mins/texts than its worth.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.