The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Well if you're not at home when it's done, you won't be included on your parents since it's based on who is there on one particular day, not whether you live there (so if you had visitors staying over on that day, they would be included on your census afaik).

I'm guessing you should get a census form, whether for your flat or individually who knows.
Reply 2
heidigirl
Well if you're not at home when it's done, you won't be included on your parents since it's based on who is there on one particular day, not whether you live there (so if you had visitors staying over on that day, they would be included on your census afaik).QUOTE]

Ah, ok :smile: So I wonder if each person in Halls gets a form or if they do some kind of list of residents or something...they must give out some sort of individual forms surely.
Reply 3
[QUOTE="ItsNotMeItsYou"]
heidigirl
Well if you're not at home when it's done, you won't be included on your parents since it's based on who is there on one particular day, not whether you live there (so if you had visitors staying over on that day, they would be included on your census afaik).QUOTE]

Ah, ok :smile: So I wonder if each person in Halls gets a form or if they do some kind of list of residents or something...they must give out some sort of individual forms surely.

They must give out individual forms as there's quite a lot of personal information on there including things such as religion (!) these days.

No idea what the logistics would be -- I imagine halls management would co-ordinate things.
Reply 4
You should all have some kind of room number in halls, so a letter would go to that...
heidigirl
Well if you're not at home when it's done, you won't be included on your parents since it's based on who is there on one particular day, not whether you live there (so if you had visitors staying over on that day, they would be included on your census afaik).

I'm guessing you should get a census form, whether for your flat or individually who knows.

That doesn't make any sense.

Not everyone fills out the census on the same day. If what you're saying is true, then the same person could be recorded 10 times (if they visit lots of people's houses), and the reported population would be wildly different from the actual population. :s-smilie:
Reply 6
Pink Bullets
That doesn't make any sense.

Not everyone fills out the census on the same day. If what you're saying is true, then the same person could be recorded 10 times (if they visit lots of people's houses), and the reported population would be wildly different from the actual population. :s-smilie:

No, everyone DOES do the census on the same day.

http://www.ons.gov.uk/census/what-is-a-census/index.html
MulderMan
No, everyone DOES do the census on the same day.

http://www.ons.gov.uk/census/what-is-a-census/index.html

A census form was delivered to every household, establishment, or to people living anywhere else, by a field force set up throughout the country.

The forms were designed for self-completion by form-fillers and to provide information relating to census day - 29 April 2001. Most forms were then posted back to temporary local offices and the remainder collected by the field force.

They are all delivered on the same day, but they might not necessarily be filled out and posted back on the same day. How could that possibly be enforced?

I see nothing in that link to suggest that visitors are counted as part of the household they are briefly visiting? The census is about determining the demographics of households. Visitors obviously are not part of the households they are visiting.
Reply 8
Pink Bullets
They are all delivered on the same day, but they might not necessarily be filled out and posted back on the same day. How could that possibly be enforced?

I see nothing in that link to suggest that visitors are counted as part of the household they are briefly visiting? The census is about determining the demographics of households. Visitors obviously are not part of the households they are visiting.

Obviously maybe not everyone actually physically fills it in on the same day-but you are meant to fill it in regarding just the one date (it says on the info already quoted 'information relating to the census day')-and it is meant to include visitors if you have people staying over. For example, if you look at past censuses you often find 'visitors' included, or grandkids staying the night at the grandparents etc. Obviously they're not included if they were just popping in for five minutes, but rather if they're staying overnight.

Latest

Trending

Trending