Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What's a good book to read for 14-16 year olds? watch

ReputationRep:
    I need to improve my vocabulary, so I have decided to look for some books to read over the half term. I prefer fantasy/adventure books, but any genre (besides horror), will do.

Please leave the book name and author. Thanks~

ReputationRep:
    Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels, if you haven't already read them.

ReputationRep:
    The Black Magician Trilogy by Trudi Canavan (first book is called The Magician's Apprentice)

The books follow a slum-dwelling girl named Sonea who, although born and raised in the slums of Imardin, discovers that she has natural magical abilities usually restricted to the upper classes

ReputationRep:
    cormac macarthy - the road
    ian gale - man of honour
    len deighton - goodbye mickey mouse

ReputationRep:
    DIGITAL FORTRESS - Dan Brown
    OMG it's amazing I swear. I'm reading it at the moment. It's about this agency called NSA that have this powerful machine to crack all kinds of codes and stuff in order to be able to read emails/trace phone convos...until one day, the find an unbreakable code. And this long adventure story takes place to find out who designed this new code etc...it's set in Tokyo and Spain. Reall amazing modern revolutionary book!
    It's so so so sooooooooooooooo good! Honestly, you'll love it! I'm 18 and I love it, my sister is 14 and she loves it xD

ReputationRep:
    Magician - Raymond E. Fiest.

And the rest of the books following the story (there are loads, 20 or so), the first (Magician) is my favourite. Fantastic fantasy author.

ReputationRep:
    Anything by Will Self.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to improve your vocabulary then I would also suggest reading broadsheet newspapers as well.

ReputationRep:
    The curious incident of the dog and the night - Mark Haddon
    Northern Lights - Phillip Pullman
    Not classics by any means but I also liked reading the Rebus series by Ian Rankin

ReputationRep:
    Norwegian Wood - Murakimi :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InadequateJusticex)
    I need to improve my vocabulary, so I have decided to look for some books to read over the half term. I prefer fantasy/adventure books, but any genre (besides horror), will do.

Please leave the book name and author. Thanks~
    Just join in some debates on TSR lol... beats reading any books if you want to up your expand your lexis.

ReputationRep:
    Jeffrey Archer novels.

ReputationRep:
    I enjoyed "His Dark Materials", "1984" and "A Clockwork Orange". I also want to read "Catcher in the Rye", I think the first in my list would appeal most to your tastes and the latest most to your age. (I'm 15 in March by the way).

=D

ReputationRep:
    You don't know me - David Klass

ReputationRep:
    His Dark Materials
    Bartimaeous
    Abhorsen

Three triologies!

ReputationRep:
    Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next series.

[QUOTE=BringMeThatHorizon]DIGITAL FORTRESS - Dan Brown
    OMG it's amazing I swear. I'm reading it at the moment. It's about this agency called NSA that have this powerful machine to crack all kinds of codes and stuff in order to be able to read emails/trace phone convos...until one day, the find an unbreakable code. And this long adventure story takes place to find out who designed this new code etc...it's set in Tokyo and Spain. Reall amazing modern revolutionary book!
    It's so so so sooooooooooooooo good! Honestly, you'll love it! I'm 18 and I love it, my sister is 14 and she loves it xD[/QUOTE

I love the book too, it has the sexy time.

ReputationRep:
    Saving Rafael by Leslie Wilson
    A Mountain of Immoderate Desire by Leslie Wilson

ReputationRep:
    I second the Abhorsen trilogy! Also, The Mortal Instruments series is a great read.. I picked up the first one in a discount bookstore and then HAD to buy the next one, it was so compelling! I am a complete fantasy geek, any hint of magic and I'm sold :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Original Title: Sofies verden
    Author: Jostein Gaarder

"Sophie's World" acts as both a novel and a basic guide to philosophy.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.