Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

please keep anon.

i'm an 18 year old male and i am very self concious about my appearance. my BMI is 29.2 and i'm overweight. i'm like the only overweight guy in my year at uni. i pack the weight on my chest, torso and tummy. i don't have a chest, i have moobs. i can't wear jumpers or t-shirts or vests. the hair under my armpit is very, very short and not apparent from the distance. i have pubic hair down below and hair leading up to my umbilicus. i am content with my size down below...i'm just not happy with my lack of armpit hair or my appearance above the waist.

i have been trying everything. i go to the gym three times a week. i do more cardio than weights and i was losing weight. i don't look or feel any different. i don't want to go to the GP because i feel it could affect my future career aspirations. i'm too embarassed and scared to admit my problem because i feel like i've been defeated. i feel deprived of my masculinity and it has changed me. at party's i can't take my top off. i dread the summers. i dread everything. my degree doesn't help because it involves exposing body parts to some extent for the purpose of education.

i don't know whether it's a hormone problem or if it's because i'm fat. i've been trying to lose weight since july 09 and i've lost a considerable amount (5kg) but i haven't changed physically. i feel helpless. i don't know what to do anymore. i'm so self conscious. i feel ugly and disgusted with myself. i really hate myself and i hate myself for trying to no avail. nothing is working. it's as if i'm doomed to feel this way forever.

i'm actually desparate now. is there any vitamins i can take? can i buy testosterone online? i tell my mum how i feel and she thinks i should just lose the weight and it will all go...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TRIBULON-Tri...6190896&sr=8-1

all my flatmates take vitamin supplements and other crazy tablets. is this sort of the same thing?

please help and advise me.

ReputationRep:
    Gym 3 - 4 times a week, but work at it very hard, aka you feel shattered the day after. Also change your diet. Im going to presume that your diet will be made up of fatty foods and/or lots of sugar (Coke etc). Changing this will make you lose weight, but you have to do both, and you have to be honest about how hard you push yourself otherwise it will not work.
    Also stay away from any anabolic or hormone altering drugs as you are to young for them. They should only ever be taken when your hormones have settled down at about 22+.

ReputationRep:
    The above psot is good. As a fitness freak/ health fanatic i'd say stay away from supplements and drugs etc, but that's really up to you

But find a sport you enjoy, try new things and eventually you'll find a physical activity that you really enjoy, it's easier to keep you motivated that way obviously, but also it will probably help how down you feel too.

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean about future career aspirations? Is it because you do medicine?

Go to Weight Watchers or Slimming World. People I know who have used each of those really thought they were amazing. It's not just the diets themselves (although they're meant to really work) - it's the support group you have behind you. Also, if you have to weigh yourself "officially" every week, you'll put more effort in.

Having little armpit hair is really not much of a big deal. Many girls would prefer that.

Finally, don't feel "deprived" because in the end it is your responsibility; yet don't be defeatist and self-loathing because it is just as unproductive. YOU can change yourself. 5kg is a great start, and even if you haven't noticed the difference I'm sure there is one. You have control over your life and your future. Be positive. Good luck!

(Original post by Anonymous)
    please keep anon.

i'm an 18 year old male and i am very self concious about my appearance. my BMI is 29.2 and i'm overweight. i'm like the only overweight guy in my year at uni. i pack the weight on my chest, torso and tummy. i don't have a chest, i have moobs. i can't wear jumpers or t-shirts or vests. the hair under my armpit is very, very short and not apparent from the distance. i have pubic hair down below and hair leading up to my umbilicus. i am content with my size down below...i'm just not happy with my lack of armpit hair or my appearance above the waist.

i have been trying everything. i go to the gym three times a week. i do more cardio than weights and i was losing weight. i don't look or feel any different. i don't want to go to the GP because i feel it could affect my future career aspirations. i'm too embarassed and scared to admit my problem because i feel like i've been defeated. i feel deprived of my masculinity and it has changed me. at party's i can't take my top off. i dread the summers. i dread everything. my degree doesn't help because it involves exposing body parts to some extent for the purpose of education.

i don't know whether it's a hormone problem or if it's because i'm fat. i've been trying to lose weight since july 09 and i've lost a considerable amount (5kg) but i haven't changed physically. i feel helpless. i don't know what to do anymore. i'm so self conscious. i feel ugly and disgusted with myself. i really hate myself and i hate myself for trying to no avail. nothing is working. it's as if i'm doomed to feel this way forever.

i'm actually desparate now. is there any vitamins i can take? can i buy testosterone online? i tell my mum how i feel and she thinks i should just lose the weight and it will all go...

all my flatmates take vitamin supplements and other crazy tablets. is this sort of the same thing?

In all seriousness I think you should go to your GP. I was in a similar situation to you, underdeveloped for my age. Went to the GP and I had a fairly serious health condition, basically a swelling in my brain that was squashing my pituitary gland, so I had no hormones. I'm not saying that you're likely to have the same thing but if you go to a GP and get a blood test done you can know what if anything is wrong. I certainly wouldn't advise buying medication online without a checkup, you're more likely to do yourself harm.

I know it seems like a big deal to go to a GP but it really isn't. GPs are professionals, and the discomfort of discussing and dealing with your problems with a GP will be far less than trying to deal with them on your own.

ReputationRep:
    You want to look like this dont you? :sexface:
    http://www.heatworld.com/upload/9319...1000031820.jpg

You just need to lose weight mate. It seems that today women prefer guys that look like little girls :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    as a woman, i can tell you that although a fit guy is fine, one that can make me laugh and lets me be myself, is fun to hang out with and takes care of himself and me is way better. look at it from your point of view...there are people you like to be with, regardless of their looks, and people you don't, again, regardless of their looks. don't worry too much about things, they'll all even out soon enough. as long as you feel good and are healthy, enjoy your youth!

ReputationRep:
    Step it up at the gym and get on a good diet. That's all I got.

ReputationRep:
    Bulk it up mate. Go the Gym, lift some good size weights and do plenty of cardio.

You feel good and look good soon, don't worry too much. Just don't sit in self-pity.

ReputationRep:
    Just thought I'd add, don't give up.

ReputationRep:
    you need to learn to do the most masculine thing in the history of everything: the rubik's cube. this will solve all your problems, i reckon.

or you could wake up and realise there are far better things to chase than masculinity

ReputationRep:
    In all seriousness I think you should go to your GP. I was in a similar situation to you, underdeveloped for my age. Went to the GP and I had a fairly serious health condition, basically a swelling in my brain that was squashing my pituitary gland, so I had no hormones. I'm not saying that you're likely to have the same thing but if you go to a GP and get a blood test done you can know what if anything is wrong. I certainly wouldn't advise buying medication online without a checkup, you're more likely to do yourself harm.

I know it seems like a big deal to go to a GP but it really isn't. GPs are professionals, and the discomfort of discussing and dealing with your problems with a GP will be far less than trying to deal with them on your own.

Wow. Holy crap. Could you elaborate a little on that? I don't mean to derail the thread - perhaps you could shoot me a PM (I will be 100% confidential) or link me to another thread where you talked about it?

ReputationRep:
    please keep anon.

Some conditions like this are chromasomal disorders. I doubt you have one but its worth a check. The low body hair could be a result of Klinefelters syndrome. Are your gonads small?Thats another feature.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 15, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.